• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

[RG] Ashe

Hey so i am new to the site, i have rped before and i am pretty good at it, but i want to ask a few things (few being five or technically 9) to just make sure i have a good grasp on the things that are allowed in rp and on the forums.

So the things i want to ask are what's ok in an rp session (except the fourth one and half of the fifth but screw it), i know it's kind of relaxed on rules but i have no other way of knowing so i will just ask.

First is violence, in the thread that i want to make, there is at least one thing that i want to happen, one person being shot by arrows so i was wondering if i could do that or if it would be frowned upon? Also if describing violent acts is allowed?

Second is control, if i make a thread, will all the people participating in that thread decide how the story goes, or will i get to decide what happens and what chars make an appearance? and can i control situational chars or chars that i want them to appear?

Third is rules, if i make a thread do i decide on the rules or no?

Fourth is question placement, if i want to ask question(s) do i do it in the shoutbox or do i make a thread?(like this one^^),and if i have to make a thread, where do i put it?

Fifth is language, does a thread have to be in english? and are curse words allowed in a rp thread as one of the things a char might say?

I grateful for any help and i am sorry for a bit of a long read and a not so greatly worded question thread.

Wauten Dayhil

Demon Hunter and Wordplay Extraordinaire
    I've broken the fourth wall, but that's because my character's supposed to. And I wrote it that he's crazy to everyone else.

Just use the 18+ label, and anything "adult" will be allowed in it. Violence, gore, drug use, sex, etc.

You can control other people's characters, but you'd have to state your right to do so. And doing so would limit the number of people interested, because the point of a RP is to make a story with other people, not using other people. So while you would definitely decide the story and what sort of enemies you encounter (bosses mainly), you're not going to usually be god-moding over other people's characters.

You do make the rules.

If you mean RP related questions, make them either in your OOC (if it applies to questions you have about people's characters), or in the RP question thread (if it's a general question, like these).

You're going to mostly find English speakers, but if you're able to find others who speak a different language (Arabic, for example), and are interested in RPing, go ahead and use it. And cursing is mostly censored by the site, but if you use asterisks, you'll get the point across, which is allowed (f***f, for example).

[RG] Ashe

Ok thank you Valithar i appreciate your answer :). Now i do have some more questions.

Sixth is char creation (i am continuing the list above ^^), on the page where people post their chars is there a specific page i have to post on say number 34, or does it not matter? And how do i post on the char creation page, do i put in the details of my char in a reply on the page?

Seventh is rping, i have done it on game servers and on other sites, but i am new to here, so if i make a rp post and people want to rp with me, how do we do that? is there a separate chat or something?

Wauten Dayhil

Demon Hunter and Wordplay Extraordinaire
    You put it in as a reply, but it doesn't matter what page you reply on - they're all sent to the end of the line, on the last page. Much like how this thread works, each reply is put into a subsequent spot from the most recent. And you don't need to put your character sheet on that page - you can put one on just the OOC of whatever Roleplay you're taking part in. It's what I do.

And you'll be creating two separate threads in the RP section of the forums. One will be the OOC (Out of Character) thread, where you'll post the premise of your RP, the rules and requirements of joining it, and the various CCs (Character Cards) used. It'll also be used to hash out details, direction of the story, and potentially character killing of inactive writers.

The actual RP thread, referred to as IC (In Character), will be used for the story and hopefully will not have any OOC interruptions.

The OOC will be in the base RP thread, while the IC will be in the Active Stories thread. I can post a couple of links to show you, if need be.

[RG] Ashe

Ok then :D, i feel ready to rp, i will re-read the rules and your answers and then create a rp post, thank you for the answers, they really helped and i hope you have a good day/evening/night/morning :)