Altmer and Bosmer: Do you support the Thalmor? Why or why not?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Altmer/Bosmer, do yo upport the Thalmor?

• Yes

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 43 71.7%

• Total voters

EmperorCharles

By "supporting" the Thalmor I mean do you qualify for at least one of these 4 criteria:

1. Would you willingly give a donation to the Thalmor Embassy?

2. Would you gladly carry out Elenwen's (or whoever the leader of the Thalmor is on Alinor) orders?

3. Are you a High Elf nationalist?

4. Do you believe that Talos is a false god

My character supports the Thalmor for a few reasons:

1. He can live in Skyrim and pursue his studies of the Arcane without being considered "impure" upon his return to the Dominion.

2. Supporting the popular political party ensures that his family will keep its prominent status as nobility (an Altmer going to Skyrim willingly makes people wonder, even if he did become Arch-Mage of an Arcane University and marry one of his own kind)

3. He believes Talos is a false God

4. He dosn't quite believe in the ultimate superiority over man, he just believes that since the Mer are descended from the Aedra, they should receive homage and more respect

Ok so I know most of you hate them because they attack you on sight, and I hate them for that too, but aside from that, let's say Skyrim allowed you to join them and they were friendly to you, would you then support them? How could you possibly turn down your race being superior to the others? And please try not to think through your 21st century filter, think as your character would in the medieval period (roughly when Skyrim takes place). I mean really, they ARE the pro-Elven political party, so why not support them?

Jarrad

If they were a joinable faction I would absolutley side with them ( if I was playing as an Altmer, Bosmer or Khajiit ).

In my mind joining them is not too different to a Nord siding with the Stormcloacks, wanting your people to be the dominant race ( as well they should be ), and to stop the worship of the false god Talos ( from a rp standpoint ofcourse ).

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
My Bosmer is mostly ambivalent towards all things politic.

She is a Dark Brotherhood assassin who prefers to be alone in the woods otherwise, and has a low opinion of social interaction in general. No one is to be trusted, especially those who hold power over others.

The Laoch

He is the Prince of Order. Or was it biscuits?
I don't really ever play as a Mer race.( I made a dark elf in oblivion once) I stick with Bretons and Nords 97% of the time since I connect with them since I'm Irish and Swedish. I'd join the Thalmor if they gave me control of the Reach with my Bretons. If I made an Altmer or wood elf I would feel mixed about joining or not. It really depends on how the natives would view you.

First the a few pros.
1) special treatment from Thalmor
2) can kill anyone and say they were worshipping Talos
3) safe from Thalmor hit squads

Cons.
1) everyone outside of thalmor hates you
2) store owners probably don't want your goodies
3) stormcloak hit squads

I could name more ,but I feel the cons far out way the pros. Not saying wouldnt want to join them for the viewpoint ,because I would love playing as the Thalmor on one or more characters to try it out. I feel it would be very hard to execute it, since the Thalmor are not exactly everyone's friend.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
As a Bosmer I am always tempted to join the Thalmor. But I would need some convincing to do so. Also if I were to encounter some Bosmer Justiciars or just some Justiciars who did not call me a filthy elf excuse for an elf, then I would be more inclined to side with them. Talos has never had any place in my heart, nor have any of the other divines really, apart from Akatosh/Auri-El. He and Y'frre are the Gods to me.

Jei El

We will be avenged.
1. Would you willingly give a donation to the Thalmor Embassy? A donation of Thalmor heads, and an arrow barrage, brought to them by Arognians.

2. Would you gladly carry out Elenwen's (or whoever the leader of the Thalmor is on Alinor) orders? In bed, otherwise, she's dead.

3. Are you a High Elf nationalist? PAHAAA Heritic, the High Elves can kiss my scales.

4. Do you believe that Talos is a false god. All gods are false, LONG LIVE THE HIST.

Saozig

Hippy
Of my three Bosmer characters, only Eiron was at all sympathetic to the Thalmor, although barely and only because he came from a very traditional Bosmeri family. He questioned a lot about his upbringing which is why he came to Skyrim, but he had no reason to hate the Thalmor. Then one day, for no known reason, the Thalmor attacked him when he was out hunting with his dog and his lover. The Thalmor wizard killed his dog and, well, that pretty much destroyed any sympathy Eiron had for the Thalmor. It's bad enough to try to ambush a Bosmer while he's hunting, but in front of his lover and to kill his dog as well? That's just unforgivable.

My current Bosmer, Tayvalyn, was raised by some pretty radical Breton parents after her own parents died fighting for the Aldmeri Dominion in Hammerfell. She's actually deeply ashamed of that, seeing her parents' deaths as a waste. Her adoptive parents didn't want to force any of their Breton values onto her before she was old enough to choose for herself, and as result, she grew up with the freedom to choose her alligences for herself. She ultimately chose none but to those who earn--not demand--her loyalty. She's pretty anti-authoritarian and thinks all the "superior race" stuff is purely irrational indoctrination and indicative of weak minds. She hates that so many other Bosmer just slavishly allign with the Altmer because of blood and tradition. She likewise thinks no "god' is more false than any other and that the Thalmor are a joke to think so. And if you try to argue with her about it, she'd probably just punch you in the face and then take your gold to pay off her bounty. She's pretty awesome like that.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
I might eventually make a Bosmer character in the future... Probably a Thalmor supporter... just so I can experience that side of RPing in Skyrim. Problem is that we're pitted against the Thalmor in the vanilla MQ.

That's true, and the main reason my Altmer character never really took off.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Many Altmer and Bosmer would be against the Thalmor. They take part in ethnic cleansing of the Elven races, Bosmer are slaughtered by probably thousands through these ethnic cleansing as well as Altmer such as the Night of Green Fire. "Don't worry about Malborn. He's not a dangerous character like you, but he hates the Thalmor at least as much as I do. He's a wood elf - the Thalmor wiped out his family back in Valenwood during one of their purges that we never hear about." - Delphine

Legate Fasendil, while on leave, went searching for relatives among the Altmer refugees in Sentinel (who had fled from the Thalmor in Alinor). While making his way there he witnessed the sky light up as the Thalmor attacked Altmer dissidents living in the city, which resulted in the destruction of the refugee district and the murder of many refugees; the incident gained infamy as the "Night of Green Fire". Fasendil requested a position in Skyrim in order to keep an eye on the Thalmor, whom he suspected of having a role in fueling the civil war.

Not to mention the fear the Thalmor Agents themselves face for being apart of the Thalmor, if you make a mistake in the Thalmor you're in trouble, especially when they strive for that Elven superiority His file had remained dormant for many years, an inexcusable error on the part of my predecessor (who has been recalled to Alinor for punishment and reeducation) - Thalmor Dossier Esbern

Reeducation doesn't sound very friendly.

Volanere

Grand Magister
Of course i support the Thalmor cause there is nothing more noble for a Mer. Mankind is to young and reckless and soon in the near future we shall rule.

People who legitimately support the Aldmeri Dominion only do so to be a hipster. It's an evil faction with evil goals.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
People who legitimately support the Aldmeri Dominion only do so to be a hipster. It's an evil faction with evil goals.
That might be, but I usually see them as big fans of Altmer first, immersioninsts seconds, and maybe hipsters third

Moris

I would probably support the Thalmor in a playthrough as an Altmer if the game made it at all realistic or plausible.

Of course, I've always wanted to play as a Forsworn, too. Or a bandit. Or an evil necromancer.

Skryim could use more seriously joinable factions, says me.

Moris

I love the Altmer, but the whole racial supremacy stuff is annoying.

Yeah. It is. But you just have to get the voice right. Most importantly, you need to learn to project your voice through your nose because the reverberative qualities of this organ are unequalled in communicating the degree of your superiority. Then, breath deeply, open your mouth and speak with very emphasized and lengthy (in duration) vowels. Do not say, "I". Say, "Eyah". Do not say, "you". Say, "yoooh" (with just a hint of an 'h' at the end). Do not say, "laugh". Say, "lahhhhhf". Make those vowels last. Do not pronounce your 'r's unless they come before a vowel, and even then, consider an upper class lispy 'w' sound. Not "friend" but "fwaaaaayned".

Do that for long enough and your whole demeanour will change. You will begin to see the light.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I would probably support the Thalmor in a playthrough as an Altmer if the game made it at all realistic or plausible.

Of course, I've always wanted to play as a Forsworn, too. Or a bandit. Or an evil necromancer.

Skryim could use more seriously joinable factions, says me.

One of the things I enjoyed about Oblivion, if you had high infamy Bandits would be friendly. Since how things worked in Oblivion was with deposition, responsibility, fame and infamy. So high fame and deposition would mean citizens, guards, Counts etc. Would be very nice to you and be honored by your presence. High Infamy and deposition to lower responsibility such as thieves, vampires, necromancers, bandits etc would make them more tolerant of you.

Wildroses

None of the three Altmer characters with backstories and personalities I have made (and am about to make in once case, just as soon as I figure out some decent ways of roleplaying a chronically weak and sickly person into Skyrim gameplay), have ever supported the Thalmor.

This is because I'm not happy roleplaying characters who don't share a decent amount of my own personal values, which is why I'm not into the majority of the Daedra quests, Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild (and probably why I will never play Dawnguard from the vampires side). I can't support the Thalmor because they support and use torture, which really bothers me. Religious freedom is also very important to me. I don't care if Talos is really a god or not (although it is my personal opinion he is a real god because SOMETHING is curing my diseases and blessing me when I pray at the shrines), people should be free to worship him without fear of persecution. This is why I would not donate to the Embassy, I would not obey Elenwen if she gave me an order, and I would not join the Thalmor if it became a joinable faction. I was miserable joining the Dark Brotherhood and killing all those terrified NPCs, so I doubt I'd enjoy joining the Thalmor.

I do find the presence of the Thalmor means you have to be careful about your Altmer character backstories though. A High Elf who left their country and doesn't like one of the largest political organisations running their homeland means you have to think carefully about the character's attitude to politics and feelings about rulers and officials. I've decided living in a country ruled by people who behave like the Thalmor would be like living in a totalitarian state, with a lot of repression, censorship and fear. Factor in that High Elves have actively been running a breeding program to try and keep to a physical ideal, and the picture of living in the Summerset Isles gets creepier. That's my head cannon, anyway, for all I know it's different officially.

Two of my three Altmer were born in the Summerset Isles and left hurriedly because they knew if they didn't leave now, they would get arrested and probably killed. One of them didn't even do anything against the Thalmor directly, her parents did, but she knew that wouldn't count for anything if she fell into Thalmor hands. One of them was born into an upper class wealthy family, and she actively seeks out the rich and powerful because she thinks that survival involves making yourself useful and pleasant to the rich and powerful. The other was born in a slum and thinks to attract the attention of the rich and powerful is a dangerous thing, so she won't go anywhere near the Jarls or officials if she can help it. Neither of them think getting actively involved in politics is a good idea, so neither have joined either side of the Civil War. Neither stays long in Solitude either. Solitude is the centre of Imperial Power in Skyrim, ie Too many people who might tell the Thalmor where they are.

Adam Belmont

I never played as High Elf, not even thought about it. My first character in the Elder Scrolls series was a Dunmer (I choose the Dunmer to fit the story in Morrowind), and I always saw the Altmer as arrogant, pretentious and racists about any other race (even mer). The Thalmor are Altmer with a God complexion which makes them even worse. It's impossible to support them unless you're cold and want nothing more than total domination of all Tamriel.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts