any one got any tips or advice on a nord warrior/mage?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

jonathan90

well known member
okay guys.

I have started a new warrior nord mage.

and I am currently wanting to build up on these skills.

so I have chosen very heavy weapon and armour enchantments and the use of smithing and alchemy craft.
I am going to invest on armour strength perks in which I am very interested in.

so if you have any tips on my skill chart and what type of warrior mage nord I am going to have.
I am choosing these 3 magic skills.

conjuration
destruction
restoration

light armour
heavy armour

all archery and one handed bladesman perks.because I prefer enchanted smithed swords not axes or maces.
not investing in for all sneak, because I am not an assassin type.

can anyone help me out? just in case I want to use bound weapons, because I have never tried that out before.cheers guys.

FlickerWick

El. Psy. Congroo.
Welcome to the forum! Without further ado...

Pick light or heavy armour. Going for both will spread your perks out too much. I feel as if you're focusing on too many skill trees as well, so perhaps try getting rid of one or two. If you're going down the warrior mage/battlemage path, focus on Heavy Armour, One Handed and Destruction. Have Smithing and Restoration as side skills. Conjuration would be a little bit wasted on this build as if you end up having two summons up, the fighting ares going to be really crowded and you're not going to be able to effectively use your melee. Archery might be OK but switching between spells, swords and bows could get really tedious. At least with magic/melee you can have a spell and a weapon in each hand!

Here's a Lv50 build I've just made. I've purposely left out the dual casting perks for magic because I'm assuming you'll be using a spell/weapon combo most of the time.

Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

jonathan90

well known member
Welcome to the forum! Without further ado...

Pick light or heavy armour. Going for both will spread your perks out too much. I feel as if you're focusing on too many skill trees as well, so perhaps try getting rid of one or two. If you're going down the warrior mage/battlemage path, focus on Heavy Armour, One Handed and Destruction. Have Smithing and Restoration as side skills. Conjuration would be a little bit wasted on this build as if you end up having two summons up, the fighting ares going to be really crowded and you're not going to be able to effectively use your melee. Archery might be OK but switching between spells, swords and bows could get really tedious. At least with magic/melee you can have a spell and a weapon in each hand!

Here's a Lv50 build I've just made. I've purposely left out the dual casting perks for magic because I'm assuming you'll be using a spell/weapon combo most of the time.

Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

heya.

yes I am thinking about just using bound weapons for conjuration and not summoning conjuration skills.
but I want to use all destruction skills of perks.

I want to invest in heavy armour and light armour but not too many perks in light armour area.

but heavy armour is a deal and so is block but tell me if I am making too many perks. because all of us have diffirent opinions about stuff.because there is so many opinions but I will take your advice.

FlickerWick

El. Psy. Congroo.
heya.

yes I am thinking about just using bound weapons for conjuration and not summoning conjuration skills.

I want to invest in heavy armour and light armour but not too many perks in light armour area.

but heavy armour is a deal and so is block but tell me if I am making too many perks. because all of us have diffirent opinions about stuff.because there is so many opinions but I will take your advice.

You can do what you want, of course. However, by spending perks on Heavy Armour, Light Armour, Destruction, Restoration, Conjuration, Smithing, Alchemy, One Handed, Enchanting and Archery, you're going to have lots of average skills instead of a few really strong ones. It's up to you but regardless I advise picking 2-3 skills and focusing on them with a few on the side. :D

jonathan90

well known member
You can do what you want, of course. However, by spending perks on Heavy Armour, Light Armour, Destruction, Restoration, Conjuration, Smithing, Alchemy, One Handed, Enchanting and Archery, you're going to have lots of average skills instead of a few really strong ones. It's up to you but regardless I advise picking 2-3 skills and focusing on them with a few on the side. :D
my three main skills is...
archery/one handed and destruction.

as the others for conjuration is bound weapons.

but no summoning dead corpses in conjuration,so I am going for the right tree for conjuration.

so in total skills I have all this.

for my warrior/mage nord.

conjuration right tree "bound weapons" like bows and swords no axes or maces.

destruction all tree.

restoration 1/3 of the perks for that skill.

heavy armour
small amount of light armour.

enchanting middle tree only
all smithing.
sneak right tree only

alchemy only left tree not middle tree "poison" side of tree.

Benthos

Proud Mer
heya.

There are some examples on youtube you can watch, Master Conjurer such as this:

Here's a let's play if you want to see an example of a spellsword Nord in action in the very beginning.

Since you want Mage and Warrior, that's what I'm assuming you should go by is a Spellsword.

Heavy Armor is good but the carry weight is a problem, so of course the perks that decrease weight as well as the Steed Stone will be of absolute benefit for you. But if you REALLY want some good equipment, you will need to get a little bit of focus into your Smithing instead of Restoration since most Restoration spells you'll be using are pretty cheap costs at a low level regardless. Spell Tomes to go after: Fast Healing, Heal Other, and Healing Hands are perfect for taking care of you and your follower(s). That's just my opinion though, I'm sure someone around here is a big hitter in Restoration. I, myself, focused in Illusion and Conjuration, utilizing Bound Bow and Axe as well as summoning Daedra and Storm Atronachs.

jonathan90

well known member

Here's a let's play if you want to see an example of a spellsword Nord in action in the very beginning.

Since you want Mage and Warrior, that's what I'm assuming you should go by is a Spellsword.

Heavy Armor is good but the carry weight is a problem, so of course the perks that decrease weight as well as the Steed Stone will be of absolute benefit for you. But if you REALLY want some good equipment, you will need to get a little bit of focus into your Smithing instead of Restoration since most Restoration spells you'll be using are pretty cheap costs at a low level regardless. Spell Tomes to go after: Fast Healing, Heal Other, and Healing Hands are perfect for taking care of you and your follower(s). That's just my opinion though, I'm sure someone around here is a big hitter in Restoration. I, myself, focused in Illusion and Conjuration, utilizing Bound Bow and Axe as well as summoning Daedra and Storm Atronachs.
yes thanks for the videos...
but I have decided not to use conjuration bound weapons at all in fact I have decided to use alteration on armour casting instead.

sorry, I did not get my 3 main skills out on what I will be using the most.

my three main skills are....
destruction
smithing
archery

my other skills are for magic is...
alteration
restoration

thats it.
and my other skills will be

light armour
heavy armour
block

but not using all perks for all 3 light armour and heavy armour or block.

and enchanting and alchemy and thats all my skills I am using so its 8 skills I am using in total.

jonathan90

well known member
yes thanks for the videos...
but I have decided not to use conjuration bound weapons at all in fact I have decided to use alteration on armour casting instead.

sorry, I did not get my 3 main skills out on what I will be using the most.

my three main skills are....
destruction
smithing
archery

my other skills are for magic is...
alteration
restoration

thats it.
and my other skills will be

light armour
heavy armour
block
sorry its 10 skills :oops:
but not using all perks for all 3 light armour and heavy armour or block.

and enchanting and alchemy and thats all my skills I am using so its 8 skills I am using in total.

sorry guys I forgot to edit my last post,forgive me.its 10 skills in total I hope that's not too much.

Benthos

Proud Mer
Block has been deemed rather bleh at best for as much work you would put in, the right side is almost entirely ignored unless you're going with 2 handed along with it for Power Bash and Disarm (which I've heard negative comments on Power Bash and how it rarely helps at all).
Quick trick I stumbled across:

I personally would follow suit and go along with raising my armor skills rather than my block but that's just me, you're always free to ignore suggestions, tips, or really anything from any of us. Each character I have played with hasn't really used much with the Block skill except with the enchantment Fortify Block and Wane Magic (resistance) which would be great against the harder opponents who wield magic. That would require level 100 enchantment for two enchantments on one item or just enchant two different items for the two. So far it looks alright, not my style but that's just me, I hope you enjoy it and if there's any more modifications, feel free to keep us informed.

jonathan90

well known member
what I really do need is armour protection because I am using all of my destruction skills and perks.
when I have armour casting and armour physical protection, it will be very difficult to get killed by a enemy and also using very destruction as well as higher restoration perks but not using alot of restoration perks.
it will be very hard to die by the time I reach like level 40, because I will have so much protection in my armour rating as for the armour perks.

and go for the middle tree in enchanting the most is better for armour protection for enchanting like fire,shock and frost resistance.

because my main words for my mage/warrior nord is....

1: high protection
2: stronger weapon damage

and thats it, so thats why I am choosing all 3 craft skills like smithiing,enchanting and alchemy because the left side of the enchanting tree might be a waste of perks,just my opinion for ultimate protection of armour.

jonathan90

well known member
Block has been deemed rather bleh at best for as much work you would put in, the right side is almost entirely ignored unless you're going with 2 handed along with it for Power Bash and Disarm (which I've heard negative comments on Power Bash and how it rarely helps at all).
Quick trick I stumbled across:

I personally would follow suit and go along with raising my armor skills rather than my block but that's just me, you're always free to ignore suggestions, tips, or really anything from any of us. Each character I have played with hasn't really used much with the Block skill except with the enchantment Fortify Block and Wane Magic (resistance) which would be great against the harder opponents who wield magic. That would require level 100 enchantment for two enchantments on one item or just enchant two different items for the two. So far it looks alright, not my style but that's just me, I hope you enjoy it and if there's any more modifications, feel free to keep us informed.
yeah man, I agree with you but if you have a higher level of block, you can hit an enemy really hard causing a few points of damage and just strike them down with a sword or destruction magic blast.its very very very affective stuff.its really interesting.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
IMHO, archery & destruction are redundant. Pick one, lose the other.

jonathan90

well known member

I found this video and its seems really cool for a battlemage something I might be looking for.so I am using magical protection as well as heavy armour physical protection. and my one handed goes up as well as my archery in which would help entirely. :)so I am only investing in heavy armour perks only not light armour perks.if I have light armour then I just choose magical protection.

AS88

Staff member

^This is how I'd build a heavy spellsword type build.

First off, using Bound Sword to level your Conjuration and One-handed. Grab the Mystic Binding perk if you want a really powerful Bound Sword that could probably last you upto level 25 or so.

I left Smithing and a few other potentially useful trees empty, I just wanted to show the basis of the build, if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't bother with Block to be honest. In your left hand should either be a spell, or a weapon, and if you're using Heavy Armour you'll be able to take a few hits soon enough. Just be clever and try not to take massive hits from bandit warhammers, etc. (I do love the Block skill in general, though, but I don't think it fits this character in terms of spending perks on it)

Twiffle

Im just going to repeat the main fault as the others, If you invest in both heavy and light armor you are going to have problems, pick one and stick to it and it wont let you down at the end game part. otherwise have fun

jonathan90

well known member

^This is how I'd build a heavy spellsword type build.

First off, using Bound Sword to level your Conjuration and One-handed. Grab the Mystic Binding perk if you want a really powerful Bound Sword that could probably last you upto level 25 or so.

I left Smithing and a few other potentially useful trees empty, I just wanted to show the basis of the build, if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't bother with Block to be honest. In your left hand should either be a spell, or a weapon, and if you're using Heavy Armour you'll be able to take a few hits soon enough. Just be clever and try not to take massive hits from bandit warhammers, etc. (I do love the Block skill in general, though, but I don't think it fits this character in terms of spending perks on it)
yeah...but I am only using a small amount of block for my warrior mage nord because it just helps against armed bandits ands assassins and etc.

I had an assassin attack me at a really low level and I knocked him out with just one block perk and caused me hardly any damage. and I was only a level 12 atleast.

jonathan90

well known member
Im just going to repeat the main fault as the others, If you invest in both heavy and light armor you are going to have problems, pick one and stick to it and it wont let you down at the end game part. otherwise have fun
yeah, I am not going at all for light armour I am just using heavy armour and a small amount of block. and I have magical protection for light armour anyways by my alteration magical protection spell.

Twiffle

yeh, nobody really wants to lug around 2 sets of armour, and of course the alteration perk 'mage armor' wont work on armor. it only works on clothes,, but you know that dont you, ,

jonathan90

well known member
yeh, nobody really wants to lug around 2 sets of armour, and of course the alteration perk 'mage armor' wont work on armor. it only works on clothes,, but you know that dont you, ,
nah I did not know that....thanks for telling me.:oops:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts