Info Frequently Asked Questions, and Getting Started

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
    For new players and experienced players alike, here can be found a complete list of frequently asked questions concerning the roleplay forum and the roleplaying experience.

1. I have never roleplayed before, but I'm interested in getting started. Where do I begin?

If you have no previous roleplaying experience, we have a comprehensive guide to free-form roleplaying available at this link: A Comprehensive Guide to Free Form Roleplay, for Beginners. We suggest that all players new to the world of roleplaying take their time to get to know the mechanics before jumping head first into a story.

2. I've found an interesting story I'd like to join. What do I do?

Story threads are made by story creators. They outline the plot, special rules, and character requirements (if any) for their story, and are responsible for approving characters and new participants. If you have found a story you would like to join, locate the appropriate out of character thread for that story. This is where all general discussion, character recruiting, and outside conversations will take place. Here, you may post asking if there are any open character positions, or needed characters for that story. The story creator will let you know if there is room or not.

3. I want to join a story but there are no openings for me. What now?

Don't worry, it doesn't mean that you or your character are not welcome. Since stories take place in a single thread, it can get confusing and disorienting if there are too many characters involved, so most like to keep it at a 5 to 6 player maximum. Don't take it personally if there is no space for you to join. There are always new stories starting and developing, so keep looking. You may even begin a story of your own if you like! [See question 5.]

4. I've been approved to join a story thread. Where do I go from here?

If you've been approved to join a story thread, you'll need to have a character that is fitting and appropriate for the constraints and plotline of the story. Most stories will have their own profile format they would like you to follow. If not, most general character profiles include things like name, age, race, appearance, and history - you may get creative as you like, and include whatever you so choose about your character. In most situations, story creators like players to post their character profiles in the OOC thread for easy access. Other players may need to look at it before they interact with your character. If you would like to create one character to use in multiple roleplays there is a general character profile thread, where you can create and store your character profile, and use the permalink to post it to other OOC threads. You may find that thread, here: Character Profiles

5. I have a great idea for a story. How do I get started?

If you have a good story idea you'd like to work with first make sure you have a good grasp of the plot and the general direction you would like to take it. More people will be interested if the story looks clean, organized, and structured. Create a general out of character thread - this is where you will do all your recruiting, and other non-story related chatting. In your first post, make sure to include a basic run down of the plot, how many characters you would like to get involved, and if you need any specific things from your players. For example, say you need 3 warrior type characters, and 3 vampire characters to make your plot ideas work - make sure your players know that so they can create appropriate characters. When you have enough characters to get started you may create your story thread.

6. I have enough players, and we are all ready to get going on my story. What now?

Create your story thread in the Active Stories section of the roleplaying forums. Make sure you use the labeling system to your advantage. The Open tag will let other players know you would like more players to be able to join your story. The Private tag will let other players know that you have all the characters you need, and you would not like any others to apply. If you feel at any point that your story will contain any strong violent, profane, or sexual themes, please use the 18+ thread tag. If at any point the circumstances change, please let the moderator know, and the thread tag can be changed. Please keep story threads neat and organized by taking all out of character conversations to the appropriate OOC thread for your story.

7. My question isn't answered here. What should I do?

If you have a question that isn't answered by any of the provided informational threads, you are always free to contact the moderator to help resolve any issues, or answer any questions you might have.

Helpful Suggestions

1. There is no limit to the number of stories you can participate in at a time. However, it is suggested that you try to keep it to a maximum of 2 to 3. Any more, and things can become complicated, confusing, or overwhelming. Keep your fellow roleplayers in mind - enrich each other's experiences.

2. Don't be afraid to ask questions, or make requests to your fellow roleplayers. If you have questions about their story, their characters, or how you should respond or react to a thread, make sure you ask. Most players will be happy to assist you.

3. Don't get discouraged if you're new to roleplaying. Some players have been roleplaying for years, others for only a few days. You will encounter all skill levels and all types of posts. Don't feel upset if you think your posts aren't as good as someone else's. Do your best, learn your writing style, and you will surely improve over time. Besides, we are all here to have fun - no one will make fun of your abilities.

As always, any questions, concerns, contributions, or comments can be directed to the moderator via a post, or a private message.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts