• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Archer

Where are they and how do I find them? I hear they are leveled. I just hit level 59 and came across my first Revered Dragon and that was cool. But I'm hunting that damn achievement to Kill a Legendary.

For those who have encountered these legendary dragons please share with us where you were and what level you were at the time.

Kage

I'm not sure. I've faced a Revered Dragon before, I was surprised when I saw it. "Whoa, buddy! Your new in town. Let me show you why all these Dragons fear me."

Nuitari

Dark Luna God of Magic
I think you just have to be a high level.

RTSullivan-DragonBorn

Premium Member
I to am looking to test my metal against a Legendary Dragon.

Derek Jeder

So far I have found three. One in the College of Winterhold Courtyard that actualy surprised me because I turned around and found myself looking into the eyes of the beast. One South East of Riften, near the entrance to Fort Dawnguard. And one in the middle of nowhere. They seem to be pretty rare, but they are fairly easy to beat, at least for a level 81 that is.

And if you didn't know, they can use both Fire and Ice breath, and they often start off with I believe it's called Soul Tear shout. Occasionaly they carry some Daedric or Dragonbone loot.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I think you just have to be a high level.
According to Nephele, a long time contributor at the UESP Skyrim Wiki site who traditionally draws her information from the game files, they start to show up at level 78.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
I was level 71 when I started on Dawnguard, I've spent much of that time raiding dragon alters and posting guard duty at common dragon hot-spots ( I find Roriksted and, Dawnstar and the College of Winterhold to be pretty active).

Supposedly, Bioware said they have a chance of appearing as early as level 70. I've read some posts from people claiming to have killed them as early as 75 but they don't seem to show up with any sort of regularity until 78+.

So far I've yet to find a Legendary dragon, though as I've progressed to lvl75 Revered dragons have become so common they're really the only sort of dragon I fight. Tomorrow, I'll take the time needed to cap out what's left of my thievery skills and hopefully that'll throw me past level 78, which as stated appears to be the magic number.

The Aetherial Crown with Lover stone and Theif stone really help with leveling out the skills I don't use too often. I can almost taste that dragon.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
Okie dokie, update time.

I got to level 76 and for the very first time saw a Legendary Dragon load screen. Taking that for a sign, I went and checked all the alters as well as the usual locals. Nothing.

So I went back to the boring task of leveling, got to the magic number 78. The dragon alters hadn't respawned yet, frustratingly enough, so I traveled around the towns hoping to get lucky.

First dragon I came across was in Morthal. Legendary. Achievement done. 78 really does seem to be the magic number.

Chikenborn

I don't really know if people are still looking at this discussion, but i really don't think your level matters when you are searching for dragons.

Skyrim wiki says dragons only spawn at certain levels, but when i was level 20, i was attacked (and killed) by elder dragons all the time. At level 30, the only dragons i saw were ancient dragons.
At level 50 i bought Dawngaurd and i almost immediately saw a legendary dragon. It didn't attack me, but i could clearly see it was the dragon from the loading screen.

So, don't be sad, there's always a chance you will find a legendary dragon.
I think the chance that you'll find a high-level dragon just increases when you level.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
I spent hours during the leveling process clearing out dragon alters after Dawnguard launched. The origional quote on their spawn level was 70.

Hours, I spent. I have right now on my person over 100 unused dragon souls from the slaughter I did in search of Legendary Dragons as I leveled 70-77 in Dawn Guard. When I finally did get to 78, the first dragon I encountered and nearly every dragon since has legendary.

That is not a coincidence. There may be a slim, small chance of encountering a legendary prior to 78, I have heard people (claiming) to have encountered them as low as 50. That definitely has not been my experience. Often people posting such things do so without offering roof such as XBL achievements and often without replying when asked to at least describe the circumstance of their encounter.

I'm 80 now, the revered dragons that infested nearly every single alter and the wilds from 70-77 are no where to be found. Legendary dragons are everywhere, common as rats. I've killed over a dozen.

Spencerkm

I am a lvl 76 and when i travle to a place on the map with a dragon head it is always a anceint dragon. (Yes i have bought dawngaurd)

mudguard

OK peeps - the legendary Dragon you all want to kill is classed as a 'random encounter'. Whilst many have said it can only be found at lvl77+ it can be encountered and if you are smart - defeated at lvl59. The trick is to port between the major cities and the marsh area in the Rift where I found my encounter.

There are a few things you need to have for tackling this encounter. Firstly your rend capability is decreased and you should rely on ranged attack to get his attention (Daedric Bow of whatever plus daedric arrows if you've been saving them) followed by a staff of fire or ice bolts is good for a short time. Use your shouts like slow time and marked for death to shut him up. Weakening his attack is your primary aim at first. When he gets to ground you want to have a shield of 50%+ fire protection plus a set of Boots or other equipment with the same in frost as he's going to cook your eyeballs for lunch or chillrend you instead. The spell capability alternates and you can't predict what he'll hit you with so be prepared. Oh and try to attack from the side as his bite is rather nasty.

It will take you a bit to knock him down and swigging a few of those ultimate potions is a good thing to keeping your strength and magic attack at optimum output. He's like no other dragon you've encountered but that's why he's legendary.

BTW, if you are playing using PC you can get a legendary add-on now that basically has a few nice legendary beasts that randomly drop legendary items. Something you won't see on Xbox360 as these additions are part of the Steam Network of gamers who have access to modding the game for higher end difficulty and enjoyment endorsed by Beth it is looking at new ways to include the playing community in development.

joseph horner

Where are they and how do I find them? I hear they are leveled. I just hit level 59 and came across my first Revered Dragon and that was cool. But I'm hunting that damn achievement to Kill a Legendary.

For those who have encountered these legendary dragons please share with us where you were and what level you were at the time.
YA i know it

Jarl's Titan

May have just figured out a key component. I'm level 81 and just created this account to let you all know. I saw that nobody had tried this, but if you go into your gameplay settings and set the difficulty to master, then fast-travel to either the College of Winterhold, Rorikstead, or Dawnstar, You're typically guaranteed an encounter with a legendary dragon. Got one on my first try. I have also completed Dawnguard, if that makes any difference. The reason I feel like this is a key component in triggering the encounter is because I have been level 81 for a few weeks now, but all of a sudden when I set it to master and fast travel it's different and I get it on my first try. Give it a shot and let me know. ~~~~Jarl's Titan

So far I have found three. One in the College of Winterhold Courtyard that actualy surprised me because I turned around and found myself looking into the eyes of the beast. One South East of Riften, near the entrance to Fort Dawnguard. And one in the middle of nowhere. They seem to be pretty rare, but they are fairly easy to beat, at least for a level 81 that is.

And if you didn't know, they can use both Fire and Ice breath, and they often start off with I believe it's called Soul Tear shout. Occasionaly they carry some Daedric or Dragonbone loot.
im level 81 but i only ever fight elder dragons ive never seen a legendary dragon

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts