Alteration magic: what is it?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Cren Reon

Lord Mustard
I want a mage that uses alteration. But i have never used it. Will someone explain it for me?

Cleon

alteration magic is how you change the natural world E.G: causing light where it isn't (mage light)

blue 468

In Skyrim Alteration is used to cast spells such as stone flesh and iron flesh witch gives you protection since most mages don't wear armor. Here's a link to some for info.

Edgeheaded

Dunmer Warrior
Alteration, as its name implies is altering the world into the way you like it: Creating Light, Increasing your armor stuff like that, it can be quite useful sometimes.

Nighthiker77

Offensive paralysis, defensive flesh spells, utility detect life /dead and candlelight, and good perks for resist magic and absorb magic.

Vaga8ond

Alteration early on is more of a defensive/utility based tree so it would be difficult to get much offense from it. Personally I think wards should be in this tree as well.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
Get "Transmute Ore" and suddenly all the iron in skyrim is gold. Mine it, transmute it, smelt it, make jewelry, become rich fast.

jarif

It is when you bend the natural laws of the world like for example there is a spell which turns iron into silver

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I miss Oblivion alteration. Being able to unlock doors and chests, don't know why they removed that. Being a super powerful Mage that can bend the world to my will... but I still have to get down in the dirt to unlock a chest.

Though Alteration is always useful for flesh spells, detect life and undead. Paralyze is one of the most useful spells there is in Alteration, you can shut that Draugr Deathlord up before he sends you flying across the room. Also funny to paralyze someone when they're walking up stairs so they fall down the staircase and have to walk up it again.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Pretty much the only thing I use alteration for is Transmute (not always to gold either - you can make some kick-a** silver jewelry too) and Candlelight (for those really dark places you inevitably end up in - can't stand Magelight, it just stays in one place unless I cast it on a stick and then I have to carry the dern stick!). That's it. No Oakflesh, stoneflesh, etc... I'd really rather wear armor or just avoid the situation or let my followers handle it. They don't last long enough for my taste and make my skin itch...

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
That's it. No Oakflesh, stoneflesh, etc... I'd really rather wear armor or just avoid the situation or let my followers handle it. They don't last long enough for my taste and make my skin itch...
Dual Casting and Fortify Alteration potions will make them last longer. They're not meant to be a proxy for armor. They're just to save you from getting one hit if you're a squishy robe wearing mage.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
That's it. No Oakflesh, stoneflesh, etc... I'd really rather wear armor or just avoid the situation or let my followers handle it. They don't last long enough for my taste and make my skin itch...
Dual Casting and Fortify Alteration potions will make them last longer. They're not meant to be a proxy for armor. They're just to save you from getting one hit if you're a squishy robe wearing mage.
And informative too! I just liked the "squishy" part. I'm actually pretty good at avoiding confrontation and am learning to use followers and raised & summoned beings on this run through. Am looking forward to higher levels and higher power. Since it's my first run through, maybe you have a tip about any other Alteration perks that may be of use. Obviously I'll need to perk up some armor with robe enchants just to keep them up there, but nothing heavy, just extra protection - or maybe perk up robes to mimick armours. Hmmm... Double enchant here I come!

Nighthiker77

I carry around my Vampire armor of Quickening instead of robes. I've found it at least twice, recently off of a master - type vampire in a random attack, and I don't remember where I got my first one from. It is +75% regen with a decent armor rating(advanced smithing perk I think) . I got it at a really low level also, when 75% was as good as anything else I'd seen anyway. Sweet score.

The Royal Vampire armor has more regen and a higher rating too, and I think you can get some in the castle, right before you get to the Soul cairn portal, on either side.

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
Never been a big fan of Alteration. I used it enough to get the 3x Magic Resistance perk for my Breton Dragon Mage, but other than that I'm pretty much done with it, with the exception of eventually transmuting some more iron/silver ore into gold.