• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

WarriorMage

Hey! Someone stole my sweet roll!
This has probably been posted before but I haven't seen it so I'll put it up for my fellow newcomers. I apologize if it's common knowledge.

If you don't do the quest where you kill the first dragon at the Western Watchtower you never see any dragons. (Okay, I take that back. I did come across a skeletal dragon in a dungeon but technically I think he's already "dead" so it doesn't really count.) If you go up to one of the dragon alters they just throw in something like a wispmother or a couple of bears but other than that there's nothing there Dragonborn related but the Word of Power. Of course you can't use any shouts and there's a few quests you can't do but, to me, that's not a big deal.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
That's the world I set up for my 9-year old. She's not ready for any kind of combat. She built a house, got married, adopted some kids, and she forages for food and cooks things.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Why would you want no dragons? It's not like they're the worst enemies you'll run across. They're easy to outrun. They have the attention span of gnats. And they're potentially a good profit.

BTW: ColleenG - what a great idea! Question though: how does she avoid all the wild animals and miscellaneae? You know: spiders, bears, wolves, bandits, giants, mages, vampires (okay maybe you don't have DG), antronachs, sabrecats and other jerky things about that are always trying to take potshots at you?

Annageckos

This character I didn't do the dragon rising quest till about level 25-30. It was fun at first, not having to worry about dragons. But I am also playing a pure mage for the first time, now I'm more comfortable with it and they are fun. Plus I needed some dragon heart scales for a quest, so I needed dragons. I don't know if I will ever have a character that I don't trigger the dragons, but I know they can wait sometimes. But then dragons are the whole reason I even started playing Skyrim, and I'm glad I did. Best game I've ever played.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Majority of my characters don't start the main quest.

Twiffle

This character I didn't do the dragon rising quest till about level 25-30. It was fun at first, not having to worry about dragons. But I am also playing a pure mage for the first time, now I'm more comfortable with it and they are fun. Plus I needed some dragon heart scales for a quest, so I needed dragons. I don't know if I will ever have a character that I don't trigger the dragons, but I know they can wait sometimes. But then dragons are the whole reason I even started playing Skyrim, and I'm glad I did. Best game I've ever played.

you can aquire Dragon scales without starting the appearance of Dragons, there are some near rorikstead at a shrine. .. .. .. ..

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies

you can aquire Dragon scales without starting the appearance of Dragons, there are some near rorikstead at a shrine. .. .. .. ..

Heart Scales are different. They are for the Alteration master spells and they can only be retrieved from a slain dragon or off a random corpse you may encounter, neither of which will be available unless you unlock dragons.

Twiffle

Yep, i just checked this out and i do stand corrected, , apologies for miss information, :rolleyes:

sticky runes

Why would you want no dragons? It's not like they're the worst enemies you'll run across. They're easy to outrun. They have the attention span of gnats. And they're potentially a good profit.

Dragons can be irritating if you're new to the game and you're discovering places for the first time and trying out quests for the first time, and then get interrupted by a dragon (I've had quests and dialogue that won't advance because of a dragon swooping around being a nuisance). and also if you're trying out a new character, and you want to get the hang of playing a pure thief or pure mage, and you may not feel dragon slaying is right for your character, it's better to not have dragons causing a distraction, so you can just focus on the quests that you feel suit your character.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Yep, i just checked this out and i do stand corrected, , apologies for miss information, :rolleyes:

Still good info, just not much help to Annageckos unfortunately. Then again, (s)he's happy dragons are back anyway, so...

WarriorMage

Hey! Someone stole my sweet roll!

I don't see that character as the Dragonborn. She's just your typical sociopathic werewolf who wants to be on her own. Which conflicts with the quests. Looking back I wish I had just had her explore and not really talk to anyone unless she had to.

Daelon DuLac

I don't see that character as the Dragonborn. She's just your typical sociopathic werewolf who wants to be on her own. Which conflicts with the quests. Looking back I wish I had just had her explore and not really talk to anyone unless she had to.
Well... if you redo her, maybe she should just stay in werewolf form all the time. Not only would she not be able to talk to anyone, but no one would want to talk to her (it's the wet dog smell :))

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
Yeah I get what you're saying about the dragons. And sometimes I do like you said because I don't want to hassle with them, plus it seems like they interrupt quests all the time with their random viciousness.

However, now I've run into a problem. Now I need MORE dragons! Because in two of my games now, not a single random dragon has spawned. Instead, the only way to find one and get its soul, I have to go to those world walls that have them. That's a huge pain in the ass. But I can't figure out why they don't randomly spawn.... even after I've done half of the main quest... I really need the souls so I can spend them at the end of the Dragonborn DLC, but even just for a few shouts. It's driving me nuts. I've never wanted to run into a dragon so bad in my life. I've started a new character and hoping to god they randomly attack in this one.

Daelon DuLac

Yeah I get what you're saying about the dragons. And sometimes I do like you said because I don't want to hassle with them, plus it seems like they interrupt quests all the time with their random viciousness.

However, now I've run into a problem. Now I need MORE dragons! Because in two of my games now, not a single random dragon has spawned. Instead, the only way to find one and get its soul, I have to go to those world walls that have them. That's a huge pain in the ass. But I can't figure out why they don't randomly spawn.... even after I've done half of the main quest... I really need the souls so I can spend them at the end of the Dragonborn DLC, but even just for a few shouts. It's driving me nuts. I've never wanted to run into a dragon so bad in my life. I've started a new character and hoping to god they randomly attack in this one.
They've never been random for me. They always spawn in the same places. There are a few that will spawn over and over and you will get a soul every time in my game. 1) Outside Markarth either on the Markarth side of the river or on the other side (1st bridge after the miners town) - always, always shows up
2) By Drelas' cottage - always. Even after I defeat the one at the wall there is one that always spawns there (on Drelas' side of the mountain) that I get a soul from
3) When I fast travel anywhere (particularly Falkreath or Morthal) I get a dragon unless it's Solitude or Whiterun, in which case I get vampires.

Just my thoughts.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)

They've never been random for me. They always spawn in the same places. There are a few that will spawn over and over and you will get a soul every time in my game. 1) Outside Markarth either on the Markarth side of the river or on the other side (1st bridge after the miners town) - always, always shows up
2) By Drelas' cottage - always. Even after I defeat the one at the wall there is one that always spawns there (on Drelas' side of the mountain) that I get a soul from
3) When I fast travel anywhere (particularly Falkreath or Morthal) I get a dragon unless it's Solitude or Whiterun, in which case I get vampires.

Just my thoughts.
Yeah I know what you're saying, they just don't come though. No matter where I fast travel to or go anywhere in general, except some word walls. It's happened with 2 of my characters, the rest had dragon spawns all the time. Thanks for the locations though, I'll try again :)