• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ronnyhenri

What? Oh. Goodby
I was doing the Blood on Ice quest the other day and found an amulet, which apparently is the
Necromancy amulet of legend
I showed this amulet to
Wuunfurth The Unliving
since i was sure this was his. He assured me it wasn't and he told me to patrol the
Stone Quarter
at night and this is were the quest is bugged for me, because nothing happened. Anybody else having bug issues on this particular quest?

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I've had it bug many times and a number of points. To solve that particular bug, I had to make sure to talk to both the mage and to the museum owner.

Once or twice I even left the city and then returned after dark.

Have you done the investigation yet? I've found that, if I don't do that (once I broke in to the house long before doing anything else and found everything and it screwed everything up).

My current glitch is that, while I've solved the crime, since I didn't sell the dern amulet, I'm stuck with it in my inventory forever more!

Nighthiker77

Qq w I think q
D were you thinking about it is not the only way I could have a good idea of the time of year for a few few years back to you and I will not have a good idea of the time of year for a few days later I went back and enjoy your favorite sites
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Daelon DuLac

:oops::p:):oops::oops::oops:o_O:oops::oops:o_Oo_O:oops::oops:
Qq w I think q
D were you thinking about it is not the only way I could have a good idea of the time of year for a few few years back to you and I will not have a good idea of the time of year for a few days later I went back and enjoy your favorite sites
?
Qq w I think q

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

JoeReese

That quest gives me trouble every time. I've found that I have to do the investigation, then talk to the steward who sends me to the museum owner, then to the old lady, who tells me about the mage, then to the museum owner to sell the item, then to the mage, then patrol the area. Usually I hit 'wait' until about 8pm and walk into the stone quarter to find the attack beginning IF I've hit all the appropriate NPCs. I definitely call this quest a planning fail. They could have been much more clear about where/who/which order.

Chadonraz

Last time I did that quest I ran into a similar issue; nothing happened at the market. Simply sleeping till the following evening fixed it, though.

I always go: investigation (don't talk to Helgird; ask guards about Hjerim, the amulet and the pamphlet) -> Calixto (sell the amulet) -> Viola -> Wuunferth.
I never talk to Jorleif between getting his permission and catching the killer. That last time was the first time the quest has glitched for me when I've followed that order.

Daelon DuLac

Hmm...I didn't think about the guards. That may save me some problems for next time.
Yeah, if you don't talk to the guard then you never end up doing the investigation. I wonder why you have to do it in such a weird order. You'd think the first thing you'd do is talk to the Jarl or the Steward, but NOOOOOO!

Jader

The Mystic Marksman
Honostly the only problem i've had with this quest was when i started it and then completed the Imperial side of the Civil War before finishing it.

JoeReese

Hmm...I didn't think about the guards. That may save me some problems for next time.
Yeah, if you don't talk to the guard then you never end up doing the investigation. I wonder why you have to do it in such a weird order. You'd think the first thing you'd do is talk to the Jarl or the Steward, but NOOOOOO!
Yeah, I talk to guards in the beginning, but once I'm in Hjerim and have found the necklace, I didn't think to talk to a guard again. I went right to Jorlief because his arrow is usually lit up.

Chadonraz

Yeah, I talk to guards in the beginning, but once I'm in Hjerim and have found the necklace, I didn't think to talk to a guard again. I went right to Jorlief because his arrow is usually lit up.

Blood on the Ice is definitely a quest where following quest markers is NOT the best strategy. :)
I only use them to find out where Tova is, when I can't be bothered to run around the city. :D

ronnyhenri

What? Oh. Goodby
I was so annoyed by this quest that I've decided to frame
Wuunfurth The Unliving
for the deads. :sadface:

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
He's never in the Stone quarter for me. He's in the marketplace. GOD KNOWS how many hours I patrolled the stone quarter before I learned that!

TheNatural

The only thing you have to do to make the quest "unbug" is talk to every possible NPC related to the quest. My first time through that one I just googled the quest, and talked to every person named in the quest description, and since then I do just that.

I do agree, though, that talking to some random guard (the skyrim equivalent of a stormtrooper, i.e. unimportant) first about a freaking bloody murder seems counter intuitive.

While I don't really have problems with this quest, I would say about 50% of my playthroughs have irreparable bugs when I try to complete the Frostflow lighthouse questline.

Has anyone noticed that when you play it on an older patch it seems to work better?

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
************SPOILERS*************

My problem with the Blood on the Ice quest is that the first quest finishes for me, but I keep the amulet forever as a Quest Item and the second startup of the quest never happens, but there definitely IS a second part because I've played it before, and you catch the real killer. For some reason, the quest never initiates again and the killer is left to roam free :sadface: Help?

A.Auditore

maybe...
spoiler

What Ive always done (or have had happen i guess) is talk to the guards, the lady at candle place and USUALLY they direct me to the steward or Voila and after talking to either of them I leave windhelm until night time then go to the little graveyard they have inspect the body talk to the beggar, museum guy, the priestess and the guard who tells me i need permission... Going back to the steward i get the ok back to the guard who tells me to look around... blood on the ground leading to house, ask around pointed to Shattershields.. with high enough speech the wife will give the key or picklock the door on the "butchers" place... scope around check shyt out leave talk to Voila who blames the wizard, (have journal and amulet) take amulet to museum guy sell (believe you can get it back after you kill him) go to the steward, blame wizard BAM hes arrested... in and out windhelm 3 times 3 days then the second part should start after finding the stable lady on the ground dead, go to the wizard in the jail talk to him blah blah tell you to watch grounds go there (marketplace) either save the girl the freak is sneaking up on or watch her die chase him to the house and kill him there.... the only time i had a glitch with it is when i did the dark brotherhood contract on the sister and the mom commits suicide after both her daughters die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chadonraz

Why not just avoid the second part? I mean, everything seems to point towards Wuunferth, which I think is suspicious enough to warrant talking to him instead of going to Jorleif. :)

Also, based on my experience, in fictional murder or other crime cases the initial or most likely suspect is rarely the real culprit.

JoeReese

Wait, my memory isn't all that good, but I thought talking to the steward was what would implicate Wuunferth. I almost always go right to Wuunferth to get to Calixto, because Wuunferth helps me find him.