• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I've decided my newest character, a vampire necromancer and illusionist, will have a slight obsession with books. And by slight obsession I mean he is going to aim to collect every. Single. Book in Skyrim. I'm planning to keep track with a spreadsheet, marking off each title as I pick them up, and checking to see if I already have a book before I grab it. I'm guessing I'll have to do a lot of quests for Urag gro-Shub, and possibly others.

Since this is likely going to be a huge undertaking, I'm wondering if anyone out there has done this before and has any tips or advice to share?

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Well for one thing, expect to steal a few books. I'm not sure if it is possible to collect every book in the game (not counting multiple copies) without stealing. I could be wrong though.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Get a house to store them in immediately. Or pick a trusty companion to be a walking library (I'd go with Mjoll or Cicero, essential characters who hopefully won't get lost either).

Also, are you planning to collect all the journals as well? That'd be an impressive undertaking. :D And would you be willing to do questlines that might be out of character just to score books only available to certain factions?

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Well for one thing, expect to steal a few books.

Nooooooo problem. My vampire necromancer isn't exactly the most moral guy in town. ;)

And would you be willing to do questlines that might be out of character just to score books only available to certain factions?

This, on the other hand, I am worried about. He'll be in the Dark Brotherhood and I'll probably take him through the College of Winterhold as well, but I don't want to do the Companions or Thieves Guild with him. I don't think the Companions will be an issue since you can explore all of Jorrvaskr without being a member, but there's no way to get into the cistern without being in the Thieves Guild. I'm hoping whatever books are in there can also be found in other places.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
One thing you could do is find a list online of every book in the game and maybe the locations. Then you can make a list plan ahead to see if there are more than one copy so you don't have to join a faction/etc you don't want to.

Also expect to gain some skill points in areas you don't want. :)

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
One thing you could do is find a list online of every book in the game and maybe the locations.

I was going to turn this list into a spreadsheet. I'm going to hold off on looking up their locations, though, until I've gotten a good way through the game; I like the scavenger-hunt adventure of finding them myself, versus knowing exactly where to go to get them. Anything I haven't found by, say, level 30, I'll look up.

Neriad13

Premium Member
This, on the other hand, I am worried about. He'll be in the Dark Brotherhood and I'll probably take him through the College of Winterhold as well, but I don't want to do the Companions or Thieves Guild with him. I don't think the Companions will be an issue since you can explore all of Jorrvaskr without being a member, but there's no way to get into the cistern without being in the Thieves Guild. I'm hoping whatever books are in there can also be found in other places.

Uh oh, looks like this one's in the cistern.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Uh oh, looks like this one's in the cistern.

Hmm. It does say, "Several tables and on top of barrels inside of the Thieves Guild"—I wonder if that means in the Ragged Flagon, or in the cistern specifically? Well, I guess I could always go far enough to get into the cistern, grab the book(s), and then attack Vex or something to get myself kicked out...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts