• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I understand that you have to wait 48 in-game hours before Iron Ingots refills on a merchant's inventory, but it's kinda a waste to "wait it out" on one specific merchant only to buy 10 or 15 ingots at any given time. Can anyone share their shopping route when it comes to purchasing iron ingots? I imagine there's gotta be a good 48-Cycle in relation to the respawns for iron ingots. One where I'd simply have to fast travel all over the continent and keep on panic buying the iron ingots.

At the moment, I go to Whiterun, Skyforge, Riverwood. Then wait. Repeat. This process usually involves at least a 24 hour wait period to refresh their inventories.

I'm pretty sure there's a far efficient way than what I'm doing now. Feedbacks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Not that I like to advocate fast-travel, but it's approx 25 hours from Riften to Solitude. So you could fast-travel back and forth as many times as you want and still satisfy the two day restock period. I would also suggest Halted Stream camp north of Whiterun. Lots and lots of iron ore with a smelter in the zone. Why pay for it when you can kill people and take it for free. And catch a nap. :)

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
not sure why you would go through all that trouble to purchase the most common, easy to find ignots on the game.. but i'd suggest going mining, around whiterun there are literally hundreds of iron ore veins, just find or buy a pickaxe and take a stroll, also if you're not afraid of getting blood on your hands, bandit caves are almost always filled with ignots and ore veins.

JClarke1953

Riverwood is a good place for Iron Ingots as well. But like HappyFace said, you might do better finding where to mine the ore.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
They all sell them, but I usually mine mine. By the time I through with all the mines and broken stream I have nearly 100.

May I assume you're building a home? (that's the only reason I can think of for massive amounts of iron.

My route is Whiterun, Riverwood, Falkreath, Riften, Shors Stone, Windhelm, Dawnstar, Solitude, Markarth and back around again. If I fast travel, by the time I'm back at Whiterun they've restocked. Of course, if I do it on foot, they really, really have restocked.

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
If you don't mind exploiting the game, you could do this:
  • save right after you buy your iron ingots
  • hit the merchant you bought it from
  • reload your save
But as previously mentioned, you could go hunting for iron ore veins to mine some ores and smelt them when you have enough. Here's a page on this:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Iron_Ore#Mineral_Sources

Thanks guys! Well, I did posted Iron Ingots, but what I really meant is hoarding pretty much all the valuable minerals the game has. But anyways, thank you for the feed backs.

To be honest, I didn't know that I could mine stuffs so I'll definitely do that. This is actually my first run of the game; never had the chance to play it right when it was released due to thesis and all.

@Prof Skalvar, that's a very interesting exploit! I won't do it yet as my number one rule is to never exploit the game unless I've already finished it in the hardest difficulty without any cheats or exploit- though insane farming is valid in my books. Hopefully it hasn't been patched yet or something. :D

Daelon DuLac

Thanks guys! Well, I did posted Iron Ingots, but what I really meant is hoarding pretty much all the valuable minerals the game has. But anyways, thank you for the feed backs.

To be honest, I didn't know that I could mine stuffs so I'll definitely do that. This is actually my first run of the game; never had the chance to play it right when it was released due to thesis and all.

@Prof Skalvar, that's a very interesting exploit! I won't do it yet as my number one rule is to never exploit the game unless I've already finished it in the hardest difficulty without any cheats or exploit- though insane farming is valid in my books. Hopefully it hasn't been patched yet or something. :D
Head over to the mine by Riverwood (the bad guys are easy) and pick up a pickax there and mine away. You'll run in to veins all over the place for all kinds of minerals (and gems!). You an also get your first pick-ax in Bleak Falls if you want.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
When I was in need of tonnes of iron ore, or other minerals, if I was selling items to a merchant, I would buy out his mineral stock first. This helps in two ways. You get the ore you want, and gives the merchant enough gold to buy the stuff you want to sell.

Daelon DuLac

When I was in need of tonnes of iron ore, or other minerals, if I was selling items to a merchant, I would buy out his mineral stock first. This helps in two ways. You get the ore you want, and gives the merchant enough gold to buy the stuff you want to sell.
Absotively. I use the same trick with petty & lesser soul gems (and letter common, greater & grand). At some point I get more stuff than they have cash so I need to buy something and then sell it all.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
If you are gonna go mining, I would suggest arming your pickaxe and swinging away at the vein. Much quicker, just watch your swing in crowded mines. :)

Daelon DuLac

If you are gonna go mining, I would suggest arming your pickaxe and swinging away at the vein. Much quicker, just watch your swing in crowded mines. :)
While I agree, I'm really not in that much of a hurry that I can't wait 30 seconds while I mine. Just me. Besides, that way I can run and get a snack while I'm waiting.

Nighthiker77

Since this is your first playthrough, I would highly suggest heading straight north from the west edge of Whiterun to halted stream Camp. You will probably like what you find there, but be careful. There's a few easy ways to die at low level

Daelon DuLac

Since this is your first playthrough, I would highly suggest heading straight north from the west edge of Whiterun to halted stream Camp. You will probably like what you find there, but be careful. There's a few easy ways to die at low level
Ditto from me. You certainly will. Don't forget to get in a little target practice on the way as well, particularly if you're an archer. It's great practice. Look for the market that looks like a teepee when your crossing the land.

Ditto from me. You certainly will. Don't forget to get in a little target practice on the way as well, particularly if you're an archer. It's great practice. Look for the market that looks like a teepee when your crossing the land.

Will check that out. I can almost say that my Dragonborn, Bentham, "lives" in that city. Yes, I'm an archer though I use dual knife as backup for detected close-encounters or if I feel like watching a stealth kill slow mo every now and then.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts