Good Stuff Build, Opinions Appreciated

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I've decided to make a build with all my favorite stuff and have been switching perks around all day. The build started as an evil death dealer with plans to clear out Skyrim as much as possible but I'm just not into that sort of thing turns out, so I've decided to use some of my favorite gear for a cool Heavy Armor Mage build. I have 60 perk points to distribute and was hoping to get some opinions on what a good perk strategy would be. I've been playing around with the perks but I could use some outside perspective... especially because my brain is scrambled eggs after jockeying these perks around most of the day.

Pertinent info:

Breton female with Agent of Mara already active (so decent MR already)

Master Setting

Gear:

Ebony Mail
Ahzidal's Gauntlets of Warding
Ahzidal's Helm of Vision
Spellbreaker
Zephyr
Ahzidal's Ring of Arcana (optional)
Mehrune's Razor

Would like to focus on Restoration and Destruction with a minor in Alteration... not married to Alteration though. Not interested in Conjuration or Illusion (sorry AS88). Sick of leaning on Archery so not so concerned with anything other than Quick Shot to compliment Zephyr.

Halfway to Aetherium Crown, so as of now I have Steed Stone active for hoarding purposes.

Anyway, I know that's a tall order but my brain is fried and I could really use a second, third... hopefully even a fourth opinion on what kind of perk package would compliment the gear I have.

I'm going to get some fresh air. :confused:

Nighthiker77

Can you keep Ahzidal's helm and equip the crown I assume? I haven't tried either one yet. I was halfway to the crown and veered off to hit Solstheim for the first time. What a cool feeling. All new lands, feels like being a teenager again, like when I first started playing.

Nighthiker77

Also, from what I think you've said in other threads, you don't like using followers, your gear is already highly smithed well beyond legendary, and therefore you won't need any of the 60 in crafting?

After applying every perk pertinent to the parameters, I'm showing 59 perks. That is with all the perks in restoration and destruction, silent roll, quiet casting, 3/5 to conditioning, Atronach + 2/3 magic resistance (cap at 85 with Lord), 5/5 to quick draw

Sorry, the perk Calculator won't let me save from my phone.

I put quiet casting and silent roll to make up for being all alone, but this would put you at the magic resistance cap and probably at or over armor cap(assumptions involved) which would basically make you a stealth destruction tank that moves at a medium speed.

I just noticed the shield, and added 7 perks in block 1/5 to power bash and Shield charge, trimmed alteration down to 2/3 magic resistance, with 3 more to drop which would probably include master destruction and restoration.

LotusEater

Also, from what I think you've said in other threads, you don't like using followers, your gear is already highly smithed well beyond legendary, and therefore you won't need any of the 60 in crafting?

After applying every perk pertinent to the parameters, I'm showing 59 perks. That is with all the perks in restoration and destruction, silent roll, quiet casting, 3/5 to conditioning, Atronach + 2/3 magic resistance (cap at 85 with Lord), 5/5 to quick draw

Sorry, the perk Calculator won't let me save from my phone.

I put quiet casting and silent roll to make up for being all alone, but this would put you at the magic resistance cap and probably at or over armor cap(assumptions involved) which would basically make you a stealth destruction tank that moves at a medium speed.

Ya, I pushed crafting all the way so all my gear is top notch. I didn't use any Fortify Restoration tricks, just the genius gear to make maxed out crafting gear with falmer helm. Plan on going legendary once I get off my ass and craft my poisons. My value is above the cap with unimproved vampire boots so I don't need much perk wise in that department. I still need to upgrade the Razor and Spellbreaker so I'm gathering souls for one more trip to Solsthiem for a crafting binge.

And you're right about the sneak mode. I lean on that heavily so those are spent.

My thought on the Crown was Crown for outside, Helm for crawling.

Thanks for that... looks really good. Can't wait to give it a shot. I was close to that all day but I think you nailed it for me.

LotusEater

Can you keep Ahzidal's helm and equip the crown I assume? I haven't tried either one yet. I was halfway to the crown and veered off to hit Solstheim for the first time. What a cool feeling. All new lands, feels like being a teenager again, like when I first started playing.

I know right... I was drooling when the boat was docking. Solsthiem is a lot of fun too. I got Neloth hanging on the Old Friends quest at the moment, I may finish that when I go back to finish crafting. Might make some mind control and oil spiders when I'm there too before I start tooling around Skyrim stirring up s**t.

First build in a long time where I haven't unlocked stalhrim. I do miss that bow. :)

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
you must not forget that the Damage Resistance is Capped at an armour rating of around 600 so really should not bother with the armour perks, A Breton does have good Magic Resistane but if you have the 3 Magic Resistance perks, the Agent of mara perk and if you get the lord stone you could get your magic resist to about 70% just short of the Cap

Nighthiker77

The character is already a Breton, and 70% is nowhere near the cap taking twice as much damage as 85%, hence capped at 2/3 with the Lord stone. 70 is great on master normally, but with no followers, atronachs, or thralls, everything is coming straight at him(her).

LotusEater

One thing I've never been clear on, with the full boat (Mara, Breton, Lord, Alteration perks), does Spellbreaker become redundant?

Nighthiker77

I would say probably so, but a few percent here and there can be the difference between surviving and dominating. I edited my post above in case you didn't see it. With a shield I would definitely take elemental protection. Magic resistance is awesome until you are on fire.

Does the ward absorb work with the shield ward?

I would say that using wards and spellbreaker would be a lot more redundant than magic resistance and spellbreaker, unless the gauntlets affect the shield ward.

With a crafted shield of resist 2 elements and the elemental protection perk, you'd basically be immune to 2 elements, and extremely resistant to the third, without even raising the shield.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
One thing I've never been clear on, with the full boat (Mara, Breton, Lord, Alteration perks), does Spellbreaker become redundant?

Very good question....I am now wondering myself

LotusEater

I would say probably so, but a few percent here and there can be the difference between surviving and dominating. I edited my post above in case you didn't see it. With a shield I would definitely take elemental protection. Magic resistance is awesome until you are on fire.

Does the ward absorb work with the shield ward?

I would say that using wards and spellbreaker would be a lot more redundant than magic resistance and spellbreaker, unless the gauntlets affect the shield ward.

With a crafted shield of resist 2 elements and the elemental protection perk, you'd basically be immune to 2 elements, and extremely resistant to the third, without even raising the shield.

I'm starting to lean towards Auriel's Shield. I've liked the effect ever since I flung a forsworn across Karthspire. Kinda sucks cuz I just got vomited on a dozen times for nothing... probably best to go no shield if I'm gonna push wards. No? I should probably craft a shield for backup in case though I'd like to use an artifact if possible.

LotusEater

Seems like I stumbled on some info that implied that Spellbreaker did it's thing before magic resistance came into play, but I could be way off. If it did, it would be a slight advantage once the numbers are crunched if I'm thinking correctly.

But I have no source to cite, it was a long time ago.

LotusEater

doesent the spellbreaker block magic spells like a ward and not resist magic

*shrugs*

I've read that Spellbreaker basically makes you immune, iirc the quote was something to the effect of standing in dragon breath and laughing, but that article could have been before the legendary update so that could be out the window, or it could be crap. I dunno.

Nighthiker77

I saw somewhere that the ward will only block a certain amount of damage, then the ward breaks and staggers you, but it starts fresh every time you raise it.

It would definitely be cooler to use an artifact. The shield of solitude is around ebony level on base armor and has +35% block, even if you don't need the 30% magic resistance.

LotusEater

I saw somewhere that the ward will only block a certain amount of damage, then the ward breaks and staggers you, but it starts fresh every time you raise it.

It would definitely be cooler to use an artifact. The shield of solitude is around ebony level on base armor and has +35% block, even if you don't need the 30% magic resistance.

I went ahead and made me a elemental shield like you mentioned (frost & fire) out of ebony that I'm gonna carry basically just for dragon attacks and occasional shield bashing hilarity and also I decided to dump Ahzidal's Gauntlets and forego pushing Wards. Right now I'm in gather bonus mode.

Agent of Mara
Lord Stone
Epistolary Acumen- Dragonborn Force
Filament and Filigree- Secret of Arcana (spells cost no mana for 30 sec)
Hidden Twilight- Mora's Boon (Fully recover Magicka, Health and Stamina)
Sallow Regent- Seeker of Sorcery (all spells 10% less, enchantments 10% stronger)
Winds of Change- Lover's Insight (do 10% more damage, prices 10% better)
Untold Legends- Bardic Knowledge (summon spectral drum for 300secs, improves stamina regen)
Fus Meditation
All five Stones in Solsthiem

I've only finished the Mages College quest with this build so there are more quest locked stuff I plan to add along the way, but I can't think of any other bonuses I can snatch up before going legendary.

LotusEater