Help me make perfect Nightingale Build

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Andre2807

Here's my build, and some suggestions too:

Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

1. I took enchanting to make myself a ring and amulet with Fortify Archery, Resist Fire, Resist Shock and Resist Magic enchantments. Now you can take on Dragon Priets with ease. Fortify Archery because none of the Nightingale Armor has Fortify Archery.

2. I took alchemy to have something to do other than killing or stealing

3. You can to the quest "No Stone Unturned" to get the Prower's Profit Ability, so you don't have to waste 5 perk points to get Treasure Hunter

4. The Fortify Stamina Enchantment on the Armor along with Stamina upgrades as you choose when you level will give you lots of carry space. The Steed Stone can also cover it.

5. The Amulet of Articulation (Thieves Guild Master Reward) can be used to cover for Speech. Thieves Guild Fences can have up to 4000 gold if you complete all the special Thieves Guild Jobs

Here's my build, and some suggestions too:

Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

1. I took enchanting to make myself a ring and amulet with Fortify Archery, Resist Fire, Resist Shock and Resist Magic enchantments. Now you can take on Dragon Priets with ease. Fortify Archery because none of the Nightingale Armor has Fortify Archery.

2. I took alchemy to have something to do other than killing or stealing

3. You can to the quest "No Stone Unturned" to get the Prower's Profit Ability, so you don't have to waste 5 perk points to get Treasure Hunter

4. The Fortify Stamina Enchantment on the Armor along with Stamina upgrades as you choose when you level will give you lots of carry space. The Steed Stone can also cover it.

5. The Amulet of Articulation (Thieves Guild Master Reward) can be used to cover for Speech. Thieves Guild Fences can have up to 4000 gold if you complete all the special Thieves Guild Jobs
That's a bit ambitious, unless you want to train up 2H, HA, and a bunch of other skills you won't need. This: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them! Can actually be done with just the skills you're using, and taking advantage of all the enchantments on the set. Ok, not Lockpicking, but you can grind that up, and never perk it to get enough levels, the same with Speech. Pickpocket is mostly because you Are a Thief (/Clerical Champion of Noctournal) Note that rather than just maxing all the trees, I took pains to get everything you Need, and avoided the ones you don't as much as possible.

I went a little heavy on Archery, because it's generally weaker than Backstab, the quick draw, and mobility of Ranger are very useful for the playstyle. Dual Wield is honestly optional, because for the most part, you'll be Backstabbing or shooting from a distance, so striking speed is a moot point, but Dual Savagery adds more damage, as does Savage Strike. As usual, I also perked my personal Silent Roll/Critical Charge combo, because it's so handy for Ambushes.

Likewise, Armor Rating is sacrificed somewhat, because Stealth is your primary defense. (Honestly, with Illusion, and Sneak that high, you can get away with 100 health, and Clothes, I've done it on Master. However, the Nightingale set is light Armor.) Instead, I focused on Windwalker, and Unhindered for Stamina efficiency, and Weight, so you don't Have to invest in Stamina at all, Extra Pockets handles a little extra carrying capacity, but you should be plenty "Light on your feet." Deft Movement would be all right, if you plan on getting attacked, I try not to, as a Nightingale.

For Illusion, I'm mostly trying to make the best of a perk intensive school. The most important thing is Invisibility, so Shadow Warrior is Optional. (I usually go Agent of Strife, anyway, the other two are covered.) The Master Spells are basically useless, use the Expert ones so you're not standing in the middle of the melee' when everyone gets Frenzied, maybe Harmony would be all right, but honestly, these are a waste of time, and magicka to cast. Go Imperial, and use the Voice of the Emperor.

This leaves room for Alteration, so you can cast paralysis, and the magic Resistance is kind of nice. I stack it with the Lord Stone, which adds to the 200 extra Armor you get for wearing the full set. (Only 100 with Linwe's Hood, but get it anyway so you can swap it out when you know you're going to be shooting from afar.) The Gauldur Amulet is better than the Amulet of Articulation except for when you're shopping, or trying to talk your way through scripted events, which you should know to switch out for...

Note: none of the above is disagreement with an otherwise very nice build. It's a different concept of "Perfect." I'm guessing yours will be somewhere between those two extremes. As with any advice, it's more likely to work for you if you have choices, which is why I tried to make mine as different as possible within the bounds of the original spirit. I full expect you to peruse both our advices to pick and chose Your perfect build. There's so many ways to go about it, there's no reason to go with a cookie cutter copy.

I also left out some of the optional gear that isn't technically in the Nightingale set (other than Linwe's hood.) To proc Dual Savagery, you have to have something in the other hand, and a Dagger makes the most sense, so you can perk Assassin's Blade, and actually get something out of it. My vote is Valdr's Lucky Dagger, because it's Steel Teir, so it can be smithed up decent without too much investment, has a 25% chance to Critical Strike, which is always nice, and you don't have to sell your soul to a rival Daedric prince to get it.

(I'm Trying to stay within the Spirit of Noctournal, she probably wouldn't care for you whoring out to Sithis, or Mehrunes Dagon for extra damage.) If you like, you can Destroy the Dark Brotherhood for the Blade of Woe, and Shrouded Gloves, just in case you run into something you REALLY want to 1 shot, like Warlord Gathrik. This makes an excellent combo with the NGB in case you get sick of skulking around, and want to try a stand-up fight. The double Health Absorbtion with a little Stamina to keep whirling away means you're in very little danger as long as you don't get instakilled.

If you don't mind running the College of Winterhold (You have to at least unlock it to buy Invisibility, not to mention get the Amulet Fragment.) the Drainheart Swords make another good offhand, since they're dagger light, and absorb more Stamina so you can cripple Frost Trolls (They only have Power Attacks, so are helpless without Stamina) and actually recover Stamina faster than you use it spinning with Dual Power Attacks. Also, once you get into Enchanting, they can be disenchanted for a unique Drain Stamina you can stack with the regular one. Yet another option is the Gauldur Blackblade, which is 25 more health (Fully leveled, so save him for last) and you can get it on the Forbidden Legends quest along with a very nice Amulet.

As a Nightblade, my weapon enchantments of choice are Absorb Magicka/Stamina for serial Backstabs with Invisibility in the offhand. Absorb Health is more damage, but doesn't multiply with Assassin's Blade, and if I'm going in stealth, my health bar is probably full already. This way, the Magicka recovers some with each strike, so I can "Poof" out of sight, Silent Roll away, and set up for another Power Attack. A little pause to recover a little, and "THUNK!" do it again, and again until I'm the last one alive in the immediate area. Since Valdr's Lucky Dagger isn't technically Enchanted, you can even stack it on with the Critical chance for effectively a triple enchantment after grinding it up to Legendary if you so desire...

Andre2807

Might I mention that I'm in complete agreement with you. With the Dual Savagery, my preferred weapon would be Mehrunes Razor in left hand and Nightingale Blade in the right hand. I chose Mehrunes Razor above Blade of Woe, because of its unlimited uses. Serving Mehrunes Dagon makes my Nightingale very, very evil. I was even considering adding the Ring of Namira for its Fortify Stamina (which you can get as early as level 2 if you so desire), but it became tasteless. Pun intended.

If you like, I can give you a full playthrough itinerary for whatever build you finally decide on, but barring that, here's a few pointers for actually reaching that level in a reasonable amount of time. Note, I avoided Crafting in my original build so you don't have to grind any skills, and can get it all in regular play, if you do it right.

First, Race: I highly recommend Imperial, because of the Voice of the Emperor, and the Luck status. TVotE is extremely nice at lower levels when you blunder into a life threatening situation because your Sneak is so low. Imperial Luck is just thematic, since it's a recurring theme of the quest arc, and what Thief doesn't enjoy more money? Also, with the exceptions of Enchanting, and 1H, there are no skill bonus you will actually going to use. How is this an advantage? Assuming you're not going to grind up to all 18 trees to 100 for 80 Perk points, this gives you more levels, faster in the beginning to unlock more Perk Points. If you start with Dunmer, or Khajiit, then you'll have more skills in the beginning, but less point at the end of the build.

However, I'd go ahead, and follow Ralof, because in Helgen Keep, you'll have access to Imperial Swords (Steel, only lighter) more Arrows, and a free Backstab on the Torturer for a Steel Dagger. Go ahead, and pick all the locks for some quick XP. You'll need as many levels as early as possible for the starter build. Sneak shoot the Frostbite Spiders, and take their Venom, use it on the Bear, and take his Hide. You'll want to take all the Swords, and Light Armor (Not the Studded) to get some Smithy XP at Riverwood.

Talk to Faendal, get him as a follower, and train up Archery to 50. You can trade back for the money, and knock over some Bandits for more. Thief Stone, and burn up your Iron Arrows getting some Sneak XP. Embershard Mine is a good spot, and after dark, head South to the bandit camp on a shelf past some Switchbacks. If you're feeling ambitious, Whiteriver Watch, and Halted Stream Camp are tough, but worth it. Especially the latter for Transmute Mineral ores to level up Alteration, and Smithing on Jewelry which can be used for Enchanting, and/or Speech later on.

Buy Steel from Alvor, and grind up the swords, but save an Ingot for the VLD (Valdr's Lucky Dagger.) I suggest getting this right away, it's about as good as you're going to get for quite a while. Also hit up Warmaidens (2) Riverwood Trader, and Belethor for more goodies. Do some Hunting if you can get the sneak shot off, and make Leather Armor (Superior once you get good enough at Smithing.) Hopefully, this should put you around level 9, save your level 10 up for a fast recovery fighting bears, and Spriggans.

Once you're geared/leveled up, you can take a cart from Whiterun to Riften, but I prefer to hike it at this point for XP, and unlocking dome Map. Do Geirmund's Hall for the Drainspell Bow, and Amulet Fragment (Stamina) and Treva's Watch for Detect Life. Between this, and Transmute, you shouldn't need oakflesh, but I'd buy Telekinesis from Farengar for general thievery purposes. Also, don't bother with the Main Quest at all yet, you can always come back to it, but you don't want to worry about dragons yet, nor even Shouts until you get Quiet Casting. (Also, never take the Golden Claw back, RT is the only 24/7 convenience Store in Skyrim, until the quest is completed. That's worth far more than 400 gold in the long run for any Thief character.)

That reminds me, Muffle, and Calm. I said I'm avoiding the Grind, for the most part, but Illusion is a slow leveler. Regardless, you won't be getting Muffled Boots for a while, and Calm means you can take another stab at failed Backstab/Pickpocket attempts. Save TVotE for when you have a whole bunch of agro enemies that want to surround, and beat you to death. (It doesn't give you XP anyway.)

Anywhom, I think that ramble has gone on long enough, but should get you to Riften with some pretty good gear/XP. If you have any more questions, you know where to find us...

Might I mention that I'm in complete agreement with you. With the Dual Savagery, my preferred weapon would be Mehrunes Razor in left hand and Nightingale Blade in the right hand. I chose Mehrunes Razor above Blade of Woe, because of its unlimited uses. Serving Mehrunes Dagon makes my Nightingale very, very evil. I was even considering adding the Ring of Namira for its Fortify Stamina (which you can get as early as level 2 if you so desire), but it became tasteless. Pun intended.
I will point out that you don't have to double attack to proc Dual Flurry/Savagery. Also, the Dual Power Attack (That spinny move) only gets you the Backstab bonus on the first strike, but the followups will finish off anyone who survives the first hit. With Assassin's Blade, Dual Savagery, and Savage Strike, that won't happen very often. However, if you just double strike (the "Scissor" attack) then you get double damage on both weapons, and proc the enchantments/special effects on each at the expense of the Savage Strike bonus. It takes a little Player Experience (As opposed to the Characters') to know when to use which.

I just personally prefer the VLD, because you just need Steel Smithing (You can level the anvil up to 100, and save perks for other trees with remarcibly little difference in endgame damage) and the Crit gives you experience the instakill robs you of. In the case of a Backstab, that's Sneak, and 1H XP. It's also a hell of a lot easier to get, even at low level if you know how to kill Spriggans. Personal preference, either, or both. The BoW is also easier to get, especially Destroying the Dark Brotherhood, in Character. Of course, you don't get any Daedra hearts out of it, but that's only significant if you're planning on Daedric Smithing. Even if you do go for it, by the time you get to that level, you could have days worth of gametime out of FLD, which also doesn't have to be recharged. And finally, the VLD can be Enchanted on top of it's special effect. To my knowledge Mehrune's Razor cannot.

I will point out that you don't have to double attack to proc Dual Flurry/Savagery. Also, the Dual Power Attack (That spinny move) only gets you the Backstab bonus on the first strike, but the followups will finish off anyone who survives the first hit. With Assassin's Blade, Dual Savagery, and Savage Strike, that won't happen very often. However, if you just double strike (the "Scissor" attack) then you get double damage on both weapons, and proc the enchantments/special effects on each at the expense of the Savage Strike bonus. It takes a little Player Experience (As opposed to the Characters') to know when to use which.

I just personally prefer the VLD, because you just need Steel Smithing (You can level the anvil up to 100, and save perks for other trees with remarcibly little difference in endgame damage) and the Crit gives you experience the instakill robs you of. In the case of a Backstab, that's Sneak, and 1H XP. It's also a hell of a lot easier to get, even at low level if you know how to kill Spriggans. Personal preference, either, or both. The BoW is also easier to get, especially Destroying the Dark Brotherhood, in Character. Of course, you don't get any Daedra hearts out of it, but that's only significant if you're planning on Daedric Smithing. Even if you do go for it, by the time you get to that level, you could have days worth of gametime out of FLD, which also doesn't have to be recharged. And finally, the VLD can be Enchanted on top of it's special effect. To my knowledge Mehrune's Razor cannot.

Andre2807

Personally I prefer Mehrunes Razor because of it's enchantment. And because it's the only Daedric weapon I would actually want to use. And based on other info: "Well, a critical hit only takes into account the BASE damage of the weapon, so that's a 25% chance to do only 5 extra damage."

Personally I prefer Mehrunes Razor because of it's enchantment. And because it's the only Daedric weapon I would actually want to use. And based on other info: "Well, a critical hit only takes into account the BASE damage of the weapon, so that's a 25% chance to do only 5 extra damage."
First of all, what are you quoting from? Secondly, no matter how miniscule, that's free extra damage on top of whatever you're doing with it. For instance, you can get a crit on top of your Backstab Multiplier, which at the low levels I'm talking about, is not insignificant. I know Mehrunes' Dagger, very well, and the quest to go get it in the first place requires a minimum of 20 to unlock, then trips out to 4 progressively more dangerous places to get it, and Then some Dremora attacks that it's impossible to Sneak through because they spawn right in front of you, and start attacking. That's great for a character that's already badass enough to stand toe-to toe with 2 of the most powerful fighters in the game.

My point is, that it's an Endgame weapon, after you've already got your Skills maxed so that you don't have to worry about the "Blessing" robbing your XP, not to mention being powerful enough to survive acquiring it without last ditch measures like shouting Become Ethereal and jumping off the cliff. For the rest of the game, you need something to get there, and to pull off Dual Savagery on the Nightingale Blade, as well as Assassin's Blade. It would be nice to have a dagger that's not beyond your level, nor suicidal to go after in the first place. I'm sure if you start off on the crafting loop up to capped armor, and big stupid damage you don't have to worry about such things, but just in case the OP (Who didn't say) doesn't Want to spend the first several hours of the game getting ready to play it then here's another option that's much more accessible and in no way is incompatible with any of the others. Even if you're going for the Blade of Woe, either you have to max out Pickpocket, or Kill Astrid before she kills you with said Blade of Woe. So, barring the 2 most powerful daggers in the game, or spending your first 15 levels buying, selling, and crafting, here's yet another viable option that avoids all that.

I will point out again that you gain XP from dealing Damage, and VLD not only does more damage, but earns you more XP 1-4 strikes. OTOH, MR kills things without dealing damage, so every 10 strikes, you're robbing yourself of Experience, and training slower. So, I respectfully suggest that for the purposes of actually Building a better Nightingale, the VLD is a better choice until you can actually Get MR.