Honestly, pick-pocket is not worth it

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
Understandable, the good thing about being a thief; there's many other ways of being successful than fishing through people's pockets.

O__Dragon__O

Old Guy Joe
Understandable, the good thing about being a thief; there's many other ways of being successful than fishing through people's pockets.
this just brought up the ole' saying...." is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see me..."
and yeah I know.... but I couldn't help it... LOL

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
this just brought up the ole' saying...." is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see me..."

That's an easy way to be detected!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Actually... I'm happy to see you... :)

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
Anyone else have issues with pick-pocketing?

This may sound stupid, but before you try stealing something. Are you checking what the odds are before you do it? Like 95%, 50%, 0% etc.

Always, success is very important 70% and above i'll usually go for it. Worst case scenario I spend a night in the Dungeon c:

Daelon DuLac

This may sound stupid, but before you try stealing something. Are you checking what the odds are before you do it? Like 95%, 50%, 0% etc.
Uhm... no, I didn't even know you could do that! Is it shown when you are there attempting to pick-pocket? Maybe I'm just not playing close enough attention... Wait! There's something shiny... :)

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Uhm... no, I didn't even know you could do that! Is it shown when you are there attempting to pick-pocket? Maybe I'm just not playing close enough attention... Wait! There's something shiny... :)

When you're hovering over items in their inventory, it should tell you the odds of you taking it. Also the more you take in one go, like taking several things at once. You risk being caught a lot more.

The Wanderer

Young Heritic

Well that's very necessary when attempting to steal the goods!

Daelon DuLac

When you're hovering over items in their inventory, it should tell you the odds of you taking it. Also the more you take in one go, like taking several things at once. You risk being caught a lot more.
Really! I had no idea! Thank you so much. Maybe that will make it easier on me. Perhaps I could practice just stealing the stuff that I have a high chance of success on until I can get better at it. It seems a shame to play a thief who doesn't pick-pocket. :)

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
I usually practice on guards, stealing their arrows.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
I agree with you, it is such a pain in the ass to level up for me. I maybe pick three pockets and then lose my patience and quit. I can make way more money stealing in other ways.

But from trying again, what I've noticed is that there are different components to it. In my one character, her sneak was extremely high and she had the invisibility spell. I would strike at night. I'd find a random bandit and lure him away from others and cast calm on him, seemed to work much better... but that's a lot of work. Plus if you get caught, no one gets really pissed and you don't get a bounty. But it was always too much for me, but I did see some good suggestions on this thread.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
There's really not much point in picking pockets unless you like the role-play or want to steal everyone's clothes. It really is simpler to just kill them and loot. Plus, it's not considered stolen so you have more options of where to sell it and it won't be removed if you're ever unfortunate enough to get caught. Though there are the essential NPCs where killing just isn't an option.

When I do decide I want to be a PickPocket though, I ALWAYS brew or buy potions that Fortify PickPocket and make use of magickal enchantments so that I have the best possible chance. You can't ever get a 100% chance of success but every little bit helps. Especially when you're first starting out.

I rarely reload failed attempts. Where's the challenge in that? Take your lumps. Deal with the bounty and the ticked off townspeople and move on. As long as your bounty isn't too high, they'll forget in a day or so and you can try again.

Papoy

DON'T EXPECT SPOILER WARNINGS FROM ME
i cant sell things that i stole... useles.
You can if you join the TG or have the speech perk.

Realy? TG allows me to sell things that i stole? Thats SUGOII!!! But having perk in speech is kinda waste to me. If i want money i can simply play as "bounty hounter." Better puting perks in 'em at late leveles.

WarriorMage

Hey! Someone stole my sweet roll!
I've never really found anything worth pickpocketing other than gold. And one Ring of Pickpocketing. Naturally, (and ironically) I took that but I think the guards took it from me when I got busted later on.

The highest chance I've ever seen is 90% and it seems that taking a potion, etc. has never bumped it any higher. Is it possible to get over 90%? I'm on PS3 in case it makes a difference. And I don't know what my Pickpocketing is but it's <50.

Annageckos

I find pickpocketing pretty easy. But I only take one or two things with a high % per person/time. I will also save before trying, most of the time. It's easy to level too. I need to make a new thief soon, my current character is a mage and I can't really see him pickpocketing. He rarely steals, only gold and things he needs, like eidar cheese and ale for Elsweyr fondue.

Lucid

Just save prior to the deed and if it doesn't go well... Re Load.

I tend to take the opposite approach. Failure is always a risk, and paying the fine/bribe is the cost for that failure. I sometimes reload if I fail on a fishing job, but usually just suffer the consequences. Such is the life of a professional thief.

I have found that I have better odds of success with fishing jobs if I talk to the mark first, then sneak back up behind them. This is particularly true for Eorland, I can never pick him without trading with him first.

Sparky04

I gave up on pickpocketing. Only had one success and that was with enchanted gloves + a potion. I don't think it's worth wasting perks or gold for pickpocketing.