Quest Is this a glitch, or was it meant to be like this? (the staff of magnus)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Minstrel

Queen of Evil
So I recently created a mage because I had never got past the first quest in the 'College of Winterhold quest-line before. I just completed the last mission 'the staff of magnus' but half way through the quest realised that the 'ghosts' of the mages that you see no longer seemed to speak. Was this just a bug, or do they not say anything towards the end of the quest when you see them? If it was a bug does anyone have any ideas of how I can find out what they said without doing the quest again? I'm a big fan of role-playing so I like to hear these things.

Also, just a side question, does anyone know if the arch-mages quarters are safe to store things in? I am sure I read somewhere that they chests in his room reset, but that may have just been someone talking rubbish or me imagining thinks.

Thanks!

They continue to speak, though there is no really useable information, other than they are being killed off one-by-one. At the very end you find that Savos Aren is not a totally nice guy.

I have stored stuff there with no problems, once you are Archmage.

Yes, once you're Archmage, the Quarters count as a Player Home. (One of the best.) Also, there's some really nice Boots (of shock resistance) and a Staff of the Storm Atronach which are worth hunting down.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Yes, once you're Archmage, the Quarters count as a Player Home. (One of the best.)
All the containers in the Archmage's Quarters are set to not respawn but it is not the same as one of the houses you can purchase from the Steward in each capital city. Those houses have interior cells that will never reset meaning you can leave things out in the open and they won't disappear. The Archmage's Quarters interior cell will reset. I've never tested the exact time it takes to reset but I know from personal testing that it will reset within 30 days. The UESP article indicates that it will actually reset much faster (10 days). As long as you put your stuff in the containers and don't leave it out in the open it should be safe though.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
I'm just curious, why a lot of people think those quarters are an improvement over the other homes we can earn/buy?

Not putting it down, just it always felt like the least "private" quarters in the game as well as being small.

I'm interested to hear the attraction other than the fact that you obviously did a lot to earn the home.

Suleku

The Grey Knight
I'm just curious, why a lot of people think those quarters are an improvement over the other homes we can earn/buy?

Not putting it down, just it always felt like the least "private" quarters in the game as well as being small.

I'm interested to hear the attraction other than the fact that you obviously did a lot to earn the home.

it's nice for those that wanna roleplay staying at the college I guess other then that. I found it to be the most unimpressive hold for my character ingame. Atleast give me the eye of magnus soo I can finish what that poor fool couldn't do :p BOOOOM!!! Everyone dead.... with the College destroyed end of story... :)

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I've never heard of anyone claiming it's better than a capital city home. It's always been more of a roleplaying motive for me to use it. If you're the Archmage of Winterhold College you're supposed to reside there.

If you like to do Alchemy/enchanting, but not Smithing, it's all in one room. No forge anywhere near there, so be ready to hike for that. What's "best" for anyone is a matter of opinion, it's free, has access to every Master Magic seller/trainer, comes with more magic items than any other home I can think of, and I even like the layout.