Modded Skyrim vs Dark Souls II

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I've been thinking about this game. Although my heavily modded Skyrim is such a pleasure to play from graphical interface that blows away every game I have, to crafting weapons from nothing, and hunting, camping and fishing in Skyrim with Hunterborn, Frostfall and Fishing in Skyrim installed, as well as Basic Needs and Diseases for an actual need for Food and Water and debilitating diseases (Only thing missing is having to piss 3x a day and drop a duece once or twice a day), I have to wonder what I'm missing out on. I saw a few reviews, a huge variability of enemies, a diehard following that claims it to be a true RPG, whereas Skyrim appeals to the Casual Gamer audience (something I am not a part of, I'm pretty hardcore about my games) and what its most well known for is its extreme difficulty.

The two most difficult games I ever played was Silver Surfer and Kings Knight on the Nintendo Entertainment System, back in around 1990 or so. Those games were so difficult they mostly sat on a shelf their whole miserable lives as plastic cartridges.

Since about N64 or so, they haven't really made *truly* difficult games, where it's a huge accomplishment to beat it. But thats besides the point.

The difficulty does appeal to me, I play Skyrim on Legendary, multiple difficulty mods, and if I could add one it would be save points in the game. On the one hand I don't like having to repeat the exact same series of steps all over just to die at the end to a boss, or in Skyrims case, a randomly appearing Legendary Dragon, on the other hand, I probably play on such a high difficulty level because I abuse the save feature so much (I am basically forced to on low level characters where a single Sabre Cat can effectively ruin the Dovahkin's day).

It sure would force me to sneak a lot more if I implemented save points as a difficulty mod, which Dark Souls II features.

Not really sure if this goes in Skyrim discussion or Gaming Discussion, or even Modding discussion. But I'm curious, those that have tried the two games, any input? And we're talking modded Skyrim, not Vanilla Skyrim. My Skyrim, is like a fully developed T-800 from Terminator 2, and Vanilla Skyrim is like the basic arm and Computer Chip that Cyberdyne Systems and Miles Dyson found crushed in a Hydraulic Press, that eventually lead to Skynet and the destruction of Man Kind, AKA, modded Skyrim.

Most posts I've seen related to the game, I assumed the Dark Souls II fans were talking about Vanilla Skyrim and not a heavily modded Skyrim.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
u want hard..how about install an overhaul mod such as Requiem, according to several users of that mod it makes dark souls and Skyrim Legendary look easy it does that by making the game mechanics in general act more realistic and punishing for instance things like

- Heavy Armor equals slow character
- No Armor equals dead character in Melee Combat

and so on

P.S no game matches a Modded Skyrim because a modded game can be whatever you want it to be and is more of a personal expirence for the user.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
You're talking two completely different gaming experiences here. DS II focuses much more on the combat itself, and has a much higher learning curve in that regard. You mentioned the NES games, DS II is more of a return to that level of difficulty and being unforgiving when you die. Having grown up with NES, I left the gaming world for many years, (I still played my old 8 and 16 bit games), only to return when Demon's Souls came out. As good as DS II is, I don't feel it captured the magic of Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls game, but that's just me. It's certainly the most difficult of the three. I'd encourage you to get all three, starting with Demon's Souls, (which I believe is a PS exclusive).

Having said all this, I have never modded a game.

General Charles Xander

General of the 11th Imperial Legion
u want hard..how about install an overhaul mod such as Requiem, according to several users of that mod it makes dark souls and Skyrim Legendary look easy it does that by making the game mechanics in general act more realistic and punishing for instance things like

and so on

P.S no game matches a Modded Skyrim because a modded game can be whatever you want it to be and is more of a personal expirence for the user.
I agree with tx, Dark Souls II is a great game however a modded game can be nearly anything you want it to be. With that said, I'm sad I only have it for Xbox :sadface:

and so on

I play Requiem and it certainly is very hard. As hard as Dark Souls if not even more so. Weapons and Armors are 4x as powerful so if you have no armor you are able to die in one shot. You often die 5 to 10 times or even more just wanting to get out of the Helgen Keep. If you have no armor you can only take 1 or 2 arrow shots until you most certainly die.

zuko514

From the play through I see on youtube, I think modded skyrim is harder but dark souls has better combat mechanics. In dark souls every weapon has its own move set. There is an very active dodge and block system. Skyrim sets the bar for graphic, role playing and adventure for future rpg. Darks souls sets the bar for the combat element.
Here is a video of what not to do in dark souls

I like the particular movements of the weapons in Dark Souls but everything is way too slow. I get that this is the underworld but everything needs to move at a more realistic pace if we are going to bring the combat mechanics into other rpgs.

I bought Dark Souls II, I intend on playing it, problem is I still feel like I got a lot of crap left to do in Skyrim.

Ok as of this posting I got around 1040 hours in Skyrim according to Steam, I have never completed:
The College of Winterhold Questline (Never got past the Psijic Order Monk visiting me at the Arch Mages quarters
The Thieves Guild Questline (Never got past the East Empire Company mission, however I have gotten 9 out of 10 of the trophies for how many radiant small jobs I did)
The Dark Brotherhood questline (Never got past the wooden shack in the marsh, never seen the inside of their headquarters for that matter)
The Civil War Questline (Never got past killing the Ice Wraith, I have always picked StormCloaks for that matter)
The Dawnguard Questline (once again, never really did much past an intro and joining to kill the vampires)
The Dragonborn DLC questline
The Main Questline (Never got past Alduins Wall)
Never fought Karstaag, or The Ebony Warrior.

Basically I've played the game over 1000 hours, and just never really delved into the actual quests and how the quest lines unfold. I've mostly made and remade character after character after character until I felt NOW this is the one I'm going to finish the game with.

Right now I'm working with a Level 30 (very soon to be level 31) Breton, and I won't really touch a ruin or dungeon until I have the 24 stones of Barenziah so I can pick up those gems everywhere I go.

The only one I've ever completed has been The Companions, and I felt that was a bunch of BS that I could finish a whole questline for a legendary warrior guild, that are supposed to be like, the Celebrities of Skyrim for their reputation as Legendary Warriors, also reminded me of my brief time making an attempt to join a Fraternity in real life (I got blackballed, but I found it just wasn't right for me and I had severe issues at the time I tried to join one, it definitely would have never worked out given my life circumstances at the time (part of it being I'm Autistic)) which was neat and fun too.

I downloaded ESF Companions to fix that though, now they're the Seal Team 6 of Skyrim factions in order to get accepted into their guild which IMO is how ALL the guilds should be.

Anyways, right now, I'd really like to wrap up ALL the questlines in a single character. I estimate if I did that my character might be level 125 by the time I did everything to the point there was nothing but radiant quests left to do. I dunno, what do you guys think I should do?

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
I bought Dark Souls II, I intend on playing it, problem is I still feel like I got a lot of crap left to do in Skyrim.

Ok as of this posting I got around 1040 hours in Skyrim according to Steam, I have never completed:
The College of Winterhold Questline (Never got past the Psijic Order Monk visiting me at the Arch Mages quarters
The Thieves Guild Questline (Never got past the East Empire Company mission, however I have gotten 9 out of 10 of the trophies for how many radiant small jobs I did)
The Dark Brotherhood questline (Never got past the wooden shack in the marsh, never seen the inside of their headquarters for that matter)
The Civil War Questline (Never got past killing the Ice Wraith, I have always picked StormCloaks for that matter)
The Dawnguard Questline (once again, never really did much past an intro and joining to kill the vampires)
The Dragonborn DLC questline
The Main Questline (Never got past Alduins Wall)
Never fought Karstaag, or The Ebony Warrior.

Basically I've played the game over 1000 hours, and just never really delved into the actual quests and how the quest lines unfold. I've mostly made and remade character after character after character until I felt NOW this is the one I'm going to finish the game with.

Right now I'm working with a Level 30 (very soon to be level 31) Breton, and I won't really touch a ruin or dungeon until I have the 24 stones of Barenziah so I can pick up those gems everywhere I go.

The only one I've ever completed has been The Companions, and I felt that was a bunch of BS that I could finish a whole questline for a legendary warrior guild, that are supposed to be like, the Celebrities of Skyrim for their reputation as Legendary Warriors, also reminded me of my brief time making an attempt to join a Fraternity in real life (I got blackballed, but I found it just wasn't right for me and I had severe issues at the time I tried to join one, it definitely would have never worked out given my life circumstances at the time (part of it being I'm Autistic)) which was neat and fun too.

I downloaded ESF Companions to fix that though, now they're the Seal Team 6 of Skyrim factions in order to get accepted into their guild which IMO is how ALL the guilds should be.

Anyways, right now, I'd really like to wrap up ALL the questlines in a single character. I estimate if I did that my character might be level 125 by the time I did everything to the point there was nothing but radiant quests left to do. I dunno, what do you guys think I should do?
You have much left to do in Skyrim. The good news is, it's not going anywhere. I suggest setting it aside to delve into the much different world of Dark Souls II. By the time you get through DSII, you can go back to your Skyrim adventures with a renewed vigor. It's exactly what I did. :beermug:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts