Need a lil help with a Character Back-story

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hi, I might be posting in the wrong forum and if so I apologize, but I would like someone who's a little more experienced with back stories then I to possibly help me make a pretty detailed story for my new Character Dagur. I have a basic one already written out but I want it to be more detailed, and if possible give me a few ideas about armor and weaponry. :)

Name: Dagur
Sex: Male
Race: Nord
Family: Killed by Dark Brotherhood
Skills: Heavy Armor, One handed, Block, and Enchanting
Hates: Dark Brotherhood, High Elves.
Quirks: Need's to carry his father's sword "Blade of The Grave"

Back Story: Dagur was like any other child, happy, and innocent. That all changed when his parents were murdered in cold blood by the Dark Brotherhood. Dagur tried to save help his mother while his father fight the assassins, but to no avail. A blade sliced his face rendering him blind in his left eye. It was then that a member of the Companions "Kodlak" saved the boy from sure death, unfortunately he did not get there in time to save either of the boys parents. Kodlak decided to take the young lad under his wing, and train him, Kodlak also tried to convince Dagur to not seek revenge against the Dark brotherhood, but without any success. After years of training Dagur was captured by The Third Aldmeri Dominion, where they tortured his for days, leaving a swirled scar on the right side of his face. After his torture he managed to escaped and hid with the Thieves Guild for a few years. Which is how he became semi-good friends with Delvin.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
As far as being a "good" guy or a "bad" guy, this could go either way. He could be a "good" guy because of how his family was murdered and all he's been through, or he could be a "bad" guy because of his past traumas and it is slowly driving him insane.

What would be interesting is if you added in the werewolf side of him through the Companions. It could be the beast side of him that hates all and comes out when he gets very distressed through flashbacks of his family and the Aldmeri Dominion. But when he is not in beast form, he is a good guy and has a level head. I would definitely get the quest that sends you to kill the whole Dark Brotherhood (I think you get it in Solitude), plus you get some decent money. I would also kill any Thalmor you come across when traveling, seems fitting. I would also join the Stormcloaks obviously.

Armor: Depends on how you're fighting for me and whether you're using smithing. Light armor uses less of your stamina and allows you to sneak better, while heavy armor is the opposite. Armor that I could see this guy wearing is steel armor, ancient nordic armor, Stalhrim armor (Dragonborn DLC I believe), Deathbrand Armor, Ebony Armor, or Dragonbone/Dragonscale armor. If you're going the evil route, Daedric armor. Personally, I think this guy would look cool in Ebony armor. Ebony armor is obviously almost black in color, but does not really look evil. It could represent his dark side from his past traumas, but also his strength and the good side of him that he's managed to hang onto.

Weapons: I've always matched my weapons to my armor. Or at least made them look similar. Once you create your own weapon, I would name it "Blade of The Grave" as you said, which to me sounds like it needs an absorb health and either frost enchantment (because you turn cold when you die) or absorb stamina enchantment. Keep in mind that you might want a bow for long range attacks with flying dragons.

Quirks: I would also add in that he collects any books he finds about the Dark Brotherhood and Aldmeri Dominion, for research purposes of course.

Daedra: If you are involving them in your story, I would follow Boethiah because you are creating a plan for assassination of the DB, or perhaps Dagon because you are yearning to change the world and cause destruction as revenge for your past traumas. Or Hircine because you are a werewolf and you are hunting the DB and Thalmor.

That's all I can think of at the moment!

Thank you for all the great Ideas.Far as the Blades enchantment goes I was thinking of using the fiery souls enchantment. But Frost is also a pretty good one. If you happen to think of anymore I would love to hear it. :)

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Hi, I might be posting in the wrong forum and if so I apologize, but I would like someone who's a little more experienced with back stories then I to possibly help me make a pretty detailed story for my new Character Dagur. I have a basic one already written out but I want it to be more detailed, and if possible give me a few ideas about armor and weaponry. :)
Back Story: Dagur was like any other child, happy, and innocent. That all changed when his parents were murdered in cold blood by the Dark Brotherhood. Dagur tried to save help his mother while his father fight the assassins, but to no avail. A blade sliced his face rendering him blind in his left eye. It was then that a member of the Companions "Kodlak" saved the boy from sure death, unfortunately he did not get there in time to save either of the boys parents. Kodlak decided to take the young lad under his wing, and train him, Kodlak also tried to convince Dagur to not seek revenge against the Dark brotherhood, but without any success. After years of training Dagur was captured by The Third Aldmeri Dominion, where they tortured his for days, leaving a swirled scar on the right side of his face. After his torture he managed to escaped and hid with the Thieves Guild for a few years. Which is how he became semi-good friends with Delvin.
Why did the Dark Brotherhood murder Dagur's family?

Why was he taken by the Dominion? Was it the Thalmor that took him or was it some other contingent?
Is it ALL High Elves or just High Elves affiliated with the Aldmeri (the Priest in Falkreath is a High Elf and not a member of the Dominion and really a very nice guy as is Faralda at the College).

Why would the Companions have saved him? Particularly Kodlak who hasn't really done much in years? Was there a relationship there? It seems kind of un-Companion-like to do something simply to do a good deed. They almost always expect to get paid.

It's a great backstory. I was just wondering.

BTW - Delvin is cool - maybe there's something with Sapphire and her father as well? Delvin and Sapphire's father are/were apparently friends?

Daelon DuLac

Thank you for all the great Ideas.Far as the Blades enchantment goes I was thinking of using the fiery souls enchantment. But Frost is also a pretty good one. If you happen to think of anymore I would love to hear it. :)
Have you considered Nordic Carved and the weapons that match? Personally I always go for them with my Nord heavies and the "Bear" theme seems to go really well with being a were-wolf (???) IMO. Of course, you could always just stick with the Wolf Armor (it's strong, light and easy to improve and enchant). I always use dragon-bone weapons when I use the Wolf Armor.

I like the idea of Bothia if you're RPing strong revenge scenarios, but I'm also a fan of Dagon and Hircine. I was thinking of a diametric opposition to Sithis, but, as Sithis isn't really a Daedra, I couldn't come up with an Aedric equivalent for opposition.

Dradin

Tribunal Temple Acolyte
BTW - Delvin is cool - maybe there's something with Sapphire and her father as well? Delvin and Sapphire's father are/were apparently friends?

Delvin Mallory is Sapphire's Uncle. Delvin's Brother, Glover Mallory, the Smith for Raven Rock, is the Father to Sapphire.

Why was he taken by the Dominion? Was it the Thalmor that took him or was it some other contingent?
Is it ALL High Elves or just High Elves affiliated with the Aldmeri (the Priest in Falkreath is a High Elf and not a member of the Dominion and really a very nice guy as is Faralda at the College).

Why would the Companions have saved him? Particularly Kodlak who hasn't really done much in years? Was there a relationship there? It seems kind of un-Companion-like to do something simply to do a good deed. They almost always expect to get paid.

Great questions! I was actually thinking about that. And what I've came up with is Kodlak help him out due to Dagur father being a companion and close friend of Kodlak. That Dark Brotherhood it was just another contract. His hatred of High Elfs are strictly to those who aligned their-self with the Thalmor. The Thalmor captured him because not only was he a worshiper of Talos but he supposedly knew the location of other worshipers. I mean feel free to give suggestions to make it more solid. :) I always enjoy criticism.

Daelon DuLac

Delvin Mallory is Sapphire's Uncle. Delvin's Brother, Glover Mallory, the Smith for Raven Rock, is the Father to Sapphire.
You're right! I had forgotten that relationship. I've been off SR for a long time now and haven't done Solstheim since my first runthrough over a year ago. Thank you!

Daelon DuLac

Great questions! I was actually thinking about that. And what I've came up with is Kodlak help him out due to Dagur father being a companion and close friend of Kodlak. That Dark Brotherhood it was just another contract. His hatred of High Elfs are strictly to those who aligned their-self with the Thalmor. The Thalmor captured him because not only was he a worshiper of Talos but he supposedly knew the location of other worshipers. I mean feel free to give suggestions to make it more solid. :) I always enjoy criticism.
I didn't mean to sound critical. I just always have such deep backstories on my characters that I'm nosey enough to ask the question. My only other question would be - Who hired the Dark Brotherhood and why? I always play the DB that I need to have a reason to kill my mark (I don't really care why, just as long as there's a justification of some kind).

I didn't mean to sound critical. I just always have such deep backstories on my characters that I'm nosey enough to ask the question. My only other question would be - Who hired the Dark Brotherhood and why? I always play the DB that I need to have a reason to kill my mark (I don't really care why, just as long as there's a justification of some kind).

Oh no you didn't sound critical. I was just saying that I enjoy it when people make me dig deeper into the story behind a character. I haven't really thought of a motive behind the contract. :/

Daelon DuLac

Oh no you didn't sound critical. I was just saying that I enjoy it when people make me dig deeper into the story behind a character. I haven't really thought of a motive behind the contract. :/
Maybe Daddy was a naughty boy? :) Or, given how folks are in Skyrim, he could've just looked at somebody wrong and that would be enough.

Maybe Daddy was a naughty boy? :) Or, given how folks are in Skyrim, he could've just looked at somebody wrong and that would be enough.

Or maybe even some bad blood between Bjorn (Dagur father) and the Fighters Guild of Cyrodiil. Like maybe Bjorn picked a fight with a member, and he decided to contact the Brotherhood, so it would not look like as he was to blame. Just an idea. *Edit* It originally said sten the ugly but i remembered theres a 200 year difference lol.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
I was thinking of a diametric opposition to Sithis, but, as Sithis isn't really a Daedra, I couldn't come up with an Aedric equivalent for opposition.
Julianos maybe? Wisdom and logic seem the most opposed to chaotic void. Both seem to indicate a rational order to why things are what they are. Akatosh too maybe. Time is an underlying structure that always persists regardless of what generation is the current one. Also Akatosh's role as chief of the deities also demonstrates an order of things that exists even for the divine.

JoeReese

I like the concept of Kodlak being there because of the father having been a Companion. Either a Companion or just a long-time friend, Kodlak would certainly ride to his aid, regardless of how long he'd been out of the saddle. As far as the reason for the killing, if the father was a Companion, you have any number of directions available. The head of a particularly nasty band of mages or bandits, whose activities were interrupted by the Companions, vows revenge, etc.

If Dagur was taken in by Kodlak and trained as a child, it would be reasonable to believe his first experiences with armor would have been light weight, probably leather or something relatively disposable as he grew. If he trained to adulthood, he'd most likely have a set of Wolf armor, which could lead to his preference for heavy armor. Staying with Wolf, gives you a little weight advantage, as it's heavy armor but weighs less than other heavy armors, but his respect for Kodlak and the Companions themselves may prevent him from wearing the Wolf armor in pursuit of revenge. After all, Kodlak is now like a father figure, the last thing he'd want to do is hurt him. Now, depending on how many years he's hidden with the Thieves Guild, and assuming the Thalmor took and kept his armor when he was captured, he'd likely have done some training with them, at the least learning to sneak from Delvin, which would be likely to involve light, TG armor. This gives you a more-rounded fighter and more armor options. By early training (some say we retain best when we're young) a bold, heavy armor, attack-head-on warrior; and due to his interaction with the TG, a man of stealth, as comfortable moving quietly in the shadows and adept at exploiting the mobility that comes with light armor. I don't see the TG practicing too much in the way of assassination attacks, though. To keep your game simple, I wouldn't recommend mixing light and heavy armors, as it would take twice as many perks to get you a decent armor rating. You might have him absorbing every bit of knowledge he can get, knowing he'll need it later if he hopes to take down the DB, but thinking privately that he wishes he still had his trusty heavy armor.

As far as good vs bad, as others mentioned, it could go either direction. It would be easy to develop a bond with the people who hid/protected you from such a brutal group as the Thalmor, but I wonder if his inner Companion would give him trouble at what the Thieves Guild does. I'd imagine some inner turmoil for a Companion to be asked to steal from the innocent. As an option, you may have him respect Delvin, but refuse to engage in anything he sees as victimizing the innocent. He only takes jobs against those he knows to be corrupt or evil, or you might prefer Delvin seeing his inner conflict and trying to keep him out of it altogether.

I don't know if you're on PC or console, but for PC users there is a way to avoid killing an innocent and still begin the quest to destroy the DB.

*edit* I love Gigapact's idea for frost damage. (she's already had rep though, so she's beat :p)
That whole "cold as the grave" thing. With dad being a Companion, you could use a Skyforge Steel Sword with Frost and Soul Trap, or Frost and Absorb Health. Either would benefit you, though the extra damage from Absorb Health might let you fare better in combat.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
He could also use the TG as an outlet to do the things that aren't sanctioned so to speak by the Companions. A double-life kind of thing, one out in the open and the other in the shadows.

The only thing I see w/ the TG that would be a bit of a challenge w/ the RP would be that they have been in something of an alliance with the DB. Considering though that the TG is in such rough shape at the beginning of the questline, I doubt they are really paying much attention to outside relationships as they have internal problems to deal with. Even the DB is similarly riddled with its own problems as well at this time.

You could use the discovery of the DB ties as an out for ultimately walking away from the TG. Considering how they helped your character out though, if he were to leave, it likely would be w/o hard feelings towards them and thus they just part ways

JoeReese

He could also use the TG as an outlet to do the things that aren't sanctioned so to speak by the Companions. A double-life kind of thing, one out in the open and the other in the shadows.

The only thing I see w/ the TG that would be a bit of a challenge w/ the RP would be that they have been in something of an alliance with the DB. Considering though that the TG is in such rough shape at the beginning of the questline, I doubt they are really paying much attention to outside relationships as they have internal problems to deal with. Even the DB is similarly riddled with its own problems as well at this time.

You could use the discovery of the DB ties as an out for ultimately walking away from the TG. Considering how they helped your character out though, if he were to leave, it likely would be w/o hard feelings towards them and thus they just part ways
True. He could be there, in the Ragged Flagon with Delvin, when the DB comes in looking for the letter of credit. He manages, by sheer force of will, to overcome his initial desire to attack, and in doing so learns of the arrangement with the DB and Delvin himself. He's shocked and outraged, but because of his bond with Delvin, can't bring himself to kill him. After debating his options over a few days, he decides the best thing to do is disappear.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts