• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Should skyrim have an MMORPG version released?

• Yes

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • I don't really care either way

Votes: 9 15.8%

• Total voters

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
I hate to say it, but the Best way to break the "Elder Scrolls Series" is to make it an MMO.

A co-op option might not be bad if it was programmed for it in the beggining, but So many great things about the games are due to it not being an MMO. You wouldn't be able to loot or place everything, couldn't manipulate time with spells. You could dungeon crawl with a "Go Go GO!" guy (which is the biggest) couldn't kill NPC's of your choice. etc., etc. ...it would just be another "WoW", and we already have a "WoW".

I've seen this subject brought up before. Many people these days think that the next stage in Gaming is to go "MMO" to make it better, but that stigma is not right.

If people really want a better "WoW" they should hope Blizzard takes the suggestions, and not Bethesda. It's like wanting something like (idk) Shoes to be made better, so you ask the Pie maker to do it because he makes really really awesome pies. Yes, there are other companies that make MMO's, but for Bethesda to revert its resources into making MMO games would just put them right in line with those other companies at the start, which is still one step behind MMO games we already have...... and we wouldn't have what the Elder Scrolls has progressed to become, and will become in the future.

I even think sometimes cross-game play machine programming has made the Elder Scrolls games loose alittle. Now I'm glad Console players can play the game, but some things do get left out so that it is more console friendly.

I even saw a Video of someone saying "It should get rid of Books" because they are not fun or easy to read on the Xbox, and players that like them can just download them on the internet if they want". Taking suggestions like that from customers is how games end up with nothing you liked about it in the end.

I hope they continue to make the Elder Scrolls games Better and Better.... .and not just something else entirly.

BSE

If I wanted to play WoW, then I would be playing WoW. I played Warcraft up until it became WoW, and I stopped playing. I, along with many others out there, enjoy playing a game at their own pace. This wouldnt be possible, and I think making TES a MMO would ruin the series.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
It just would be great to have a Skyrim- based MMO where you can take your character from Skyrim to, and play with other people and their characters in the Skyrim world, that's all I'm saying.

If that took away from improving the solo game , then No.

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
It just would be great to have a Skyrim- based MMO where you can take your character from Skyrim to, and play with other people and their characters in the Skyrim world, that's all I'm saying.

If that took away from improving the solo game , then No.

I understand what your saying. I hope my post didn't seem like I was "Stabbing" at your idea btw. Although much would be lost in an MMO imo, I would agree with you that the "Lore" and the "World" of The Elder Scrolls would be fun to play on other platforms.

KajiitAssassin227

I agree with Dagmar on Bethesda, but that doesn't make me think that Skyrim SHOULDN'T have multiplayer, if it was done by people who know what they're doing.

Why not??? I mean, why do people say no to this? If you think about what could be done with Skyrim's game areas and characters, discarding the existing quests....

As has been suggested, limited number teams (4-8 perhaps) could go on co-operative raids. People could join in using their character from a saved game. Wouldn’t that be cool??? New quests could be made for multiplayer. Traps requiring teamwork to disable, and of course BIG EPIC BATTLES. If you need to pause to look into your inventory, that's your problem, come prepared and hotkeyed. Your character would just stand there if you pause. You could go invisible while doing that. There could be an option to play with friendly fire turned off so other players can't kill you, and you can't kill others, or competitive level-matched arenas for the hardcore.

You could trade and swap items with others, etc. . .

I say bring it on. But I'm not holding my breath.

PS I am talking here about a totally seperate part of the game, using Skyrim's assets. Maybe even a totally separate game. Not some update that attempts to turn the existing game with all its quests into an MM game. That isn’t possible .

The multiplayer could be tied into a future solo game like Skyrim in this way: You choose to either play solo or go online when you fire up the game, but there is a shared area between the two game modes, which can be your home in the world. Your character levels up in both worlds, with appropriate adjustments . When you're in your home you can transfer items acquired between the two game worlds. So you can go multiplayer and find/win/trade items with other people , (looting and pickpocketing disabled!) then go to your home base, and store the items in a special container, where they will be available to your character when playing solo. The idea is from Dungeon Defenders , a game that has both modes done quite well.

It can be taken further, with deeper interaction between offline and online worlds, always at the user's discretion. There could be teleporters in the solo game world where you can go online and join in an online co-op quest or competitive "arena". There could be pet or thrall breeding grounds in the online world where you could breed different kinds of customized creatures as followers in exchange for ingredients and/or gold, and bring them back into the solo game. The additions could easily be lore-friendly, imagination isn’t exactly in short supply.

There could be optional quests in the solo game requiring you to team up with others in the online world, who have all come to do the same quest in their solo games, to achieve some objective, with results feeding back into everybody's solo game.

The game could come in 2 DVDs.... people will pay for it.
I completely agree, that sounds like the best possible option so far, and truthefully, I would buy it. I mean, if they did come out with a new version/new elder scrolls game (Which I personally think they will, it's too big a franchise to stop now) then that would definetely be a great addition.

Notmy420

Hell to the yes. If they can make Final Fantasy run an online multiplayer server on a PS2 10 years ago I'm sure they can run an online multiplayer server for Skyrim on a PS3 or 360. Or at least a PVP Arena of some sorts like in WoW... could you imagine a 10v10 game of capture the flag with 20 level 81 Skyrim toons!? That'd be epic as fluff IMO. But then again I did play WoW for half a decade lmfa0 :]

Dreboogie

High-Elf Swag.
The only thing is, the Skyrim servers aren't all that great. Multiplayer would take a lot of effort on their part. And I feel like this game was made so that you could bond with you character and it would kind of ruin the one-on-one intensity aspect of the game..

Kuurus

The only thing is, the Skyrim servers aren't all that great. Multiplayer would take a lot of effort on their part. And I feel like this game was made so that you could bond with you character and it would kind of ruin the one-on-one intensity aspect of the game..

What do you mean he Skyrim servers aren't that great? The game doesn't run on a server.

Hell to the yes. If they can make Final Fantasy run an online multiplayer server on a PS2 10 years ago I'm sure they can run an online multiplayer server for Skyrim on a PS3 or 360. Or at least a PVP Arena of some sorts like in WoW... could you imagine a 10v10 game of capture the flag with 20 level 81 Skyrim toons!? That'd be epic as fu** IMO. But then again I did play WoW for half a decade lmfa0 :]

Again, the game design of Skyrim does not support multiplayer with the menu setup which is at the core of the design. An entire redesign would be necessary, and quite frankly, those resources are better spent developing a new game. Maybe with enough feedback from users, they would go in the direction of trying to make the next Elder Scrolls game support some sort of limited multiplayer (not an MMO, just cooperative play if anything I think), but it's simply not a possibility for Skyrim which renders this entire conversation useless.

S

SynnerLarkie

my whole issue is i dont play MMOs... at all.. because i HAVE to be able to stop, pause, get up and not come back for hours. We have kids, we have jobs, we have lives outside games. If skyrim became a MMO i wouldnt beable to play it.

KajiitAssassin227

All right, guys, I was wondering if I could hear what you think about a Co-op campaign part of skyrim being released. I have heard what you think about the MMORPG, and I agree, the downsides would probably outweigh the advantages to an extent, but what about a 4-8 player co-op story mode that actually adapts the powers, story and quests to fit multiple players?

Kuurus

Once again, it's not possible with the current game design. Any type of multi-player requires a complete overhaul of the game to the point that those resources would be better spent on a new game.

Dreboogie

High-Elf Swag.
Sorry, not server, but the coding, or whatever it took to make the game... Kinda slow.. and plus the game already freezes up when you go through doors and stuff like that...

Kuurus

That's a limitation of the amount of information a console has to process. There is next to no loading time and nothing ever freezes on a capable PC. I'm not trying to bash consoles here, just clarify that this isn't due to some error or poor design on Bethesda's part. The alternative would be to reduce the amount of information being processed and make it a more bland game to speed up the gameplay on a console.

NeoRoman

This is for custom titles?
What they should do is allow the player to choose whether or not he/she wants to play multiplayer, a system such as Call of Duty, in which you can choose to play the campaign or multiplayer. Of course it will still be the same world but just with MMO functions.

Jaeger

try eve online, i consider it to have good graphics anyway. its also a seriously long standing mmo that i've lost a lot of years to. as for bugs eve is a prime example, its had several game changers over the years. but on topic i'd rather keep the elders scroll world in single player.

It's in space too, total different rendering, processing, etc.

Skullrattla, Dungeon Defenders has sucky graphics like all mmorgs.

Jebus, you think I'm going to spend the time I do on Skyrim with that crap.

You need nextgen technology to make what y'all talking about. Look at wow, look at Conan, look at the superhero game, look at all the others. It's going to look like crap, if they do it now.

Red dead was alright but it was mostly desert (not much to render), no weather, no npcs, no choo-choo, etc

He'll, I bought Batman: Arkham city along with Skyrim. Played it one night. You don't think I want a Batman: Gotham City where the game is a sandbox world of Gotham City and some rural areas. Where the combat is just like arkham city, playing against other people. Each server has people playing one batman, robin, cat woman, penguin, riddler, night wing, etc. Have a hideout, zooming down the streets on your night wing cycle.You don't think that would be the coolest ever. If they could do it, it would be done. But, with present tech, it can't be done. Look at the present dc heroes or whatever it's called - it sucks. You lamely swing at each other... Jebus.

Jaeger

What they should do is allow the player to choose whether or not he/she wants to play multiplayer, a system such as Call of Duty, in which you can choose to play the campaign or multiplayer. Of course it will still be the same world but just with MMO functions.

Call of duty play on little maps. Totally different dude. C'mon, think.

NeoRoman

This is for custom titles?
You obviously didn't read what I meant by the Call of Duty reference. I only referenced the option that Call of Duty has to have the player play single or multiplayer.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts