• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

jr866gooner

Hello all,

Very new to this, had a colleague at work go on about the game a lot at its release but thought nothing of it. Only recently a current colleague was talking about it and a lot of the the things you can do. I have a few questions so please go easy on me!

Firstly I'm usually one for gta, cod and assassins creed and I'm wondering if I'm going to like this game. I hear its a role playing game but when I think of this genre I think of final fantasy and the battles against people were turn based and sometimes a little mundane. How do battles and fights in skyrim differ?

Secondly I also hear you have a lot of freedom, could you elaborate on what varied things you can do whilst roaming? I read you can buy properties to stay in etc but not sure how many or what you can even do with these places!

Thirdly is it fairly easy to pick up and play whenever? I have a young son and don't have lots of time to plough into this game, I tend to spread my gaming across several games across some limited time.

I read that this gets fantastic reviews and I am getting drawn to it I would finally like to know if it matters that this would be the first title I would own in this series, would I just be massively confused? Or is it straight forward to pick up as you play?

Thank you for taking the time to read!

Jr

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hey jr866gooner,

I have never really player gta, cod or assassins creed so I can't give you any comparisons there.

What I can tell you is Skyrim specific stuff, like for example just roaming you can:
-harvest ingredients to make potions with
-hunt animals and use their pelts to make leather to use to make armor (even steal their souls to use for enchanting weapons and armor!)
-mine ore to make ingots to make armor
-enjoy the scenery, Skyrim is a beautiful game
-encounter random little quests and things of interest
-random dragon encounters later in the game
-even swim in the water and catch fish
-find raw materials to cook with
and more...

Yes you can buy several houses in this game, the purpose of which is a few things (besides owning a house obviously!)
-a free bed(s) to sleep in and get a bonus to experience gained
-several containers to store stuff in (there is an irritating weight limit or carrying capacity in Skyrim that you can raise by increasing your stamina when you level up, through certain perk choices, or certain standing stones which you will start encountering early in the game)
-alchemy and or enchanting stations that you can think of as little crafting stations that are very convenient
-display items such as weapon racks, mannequins, and display cases to house your unique and special weapons, armor sets, and daggers, and shields, and staffs...

It's very easy to pick up, the game isn't that hard to play. I hope I am giving good advice here, I have played this game A LOT. But still I don't think you will have any trouble getting into it...

I only played Oblivion before Skyrim and honestly it doesn't matter. So much happens between Oblivion and Skyrim that Skyrim is like an entirely different game. Skryim takes place like 500 years after the events in Oblivion so you can easily get into the story in Skyrim without playing any earlier games. There are even thousands of books in the game itself that explain the lore of what happened if you are into that, but it isn't necessary to get enjoyment out of the game itself.

Hope you give Skyrim a try it is a hell of a fun game!

Shyrith

Ebonhawk
Best way to really get an idea is to just youtube skyrim. There are bows, and cross bows with Dawnguard dlc that could feel a bit like shooting games.

You wouldn't be confused. The history of previous TES games are present, but not in a way that will leave you feeling left behind.

Stigweard Ruadhan

Jeg er stolt. Jeg er sterk.
Welcome to the clan!!!

You are hopefully going to have a phenomenal time here and in Skyrim. This game is like NOTHING you will have ever played before. The depth, scope and sheer richness of the game world, characters, storyline, weapons, armour, mods, spells, perks...

I could go on! This game has 200 - 250 hours in each character based play through and it will become whatever you allow it to be. Prepare for a steep learning curve (and to become overwhelmed and frustrated) but, equally, be prepared to experience emotions you never thought you'd allow a video game to provoke.

When you have played a game for 80 hours and feel you have only scratched the surface, two things might happen. You may become so overawed that you put it in the box right there - or, like me, you might consider the sheer scale that this game envelopes you in and realise that every time you play it, it weaves a tale of beauty, power and terror around you.

Walk across snow covered mountains with the sunset at your back and the sky growing a bruised purple and orange whilst eagles screech overhead. Draw a breath as Solitude rises into view and shimmers like a diamond.

Stalk a deer through the dense wilderness of the Reach, only to emerge into a clearing where a brooding hulk of a giant stands picking the flesh of his last meal from his teeth. Draw a breath and decide to fight or run.

Sit at the roaring hearth of an inn that is being battered by a blizzard outside and watch as patrons draw up a chair alongside you and speak about their day. Watch as the fire casts flickering shadows against the ageing timber and a folk song telling of heroes and warriors enchants you. Draw a breath, retire for the night and begin anew in the morning on another quest.

Choose your side in an epic struggle of politics, culture and class and witness how you shape and mould the future of a land that is steeped in lore and wonder. Share in the pain, joy and struggle of people and races that touch your very heart. Draw a breath as you consider how attached you become to another world.

Skyrim is unrivalled; immense and awesome in style, substance and immersion. This world will swallow you up, envelope and embrace you and you will wonder why you ever played anything else.

Because you don't play Skyrim...you draw a breath and dive in.

I can only hope you have as much fun as I have so far and meet wonderful people as I have met on this forum.

All the best!

AS88

Staff member
Welcome :) Before Skyrim, I was a bit like you, I only ever played stuff like FIFA, Gran Turismo, Need For Speed, etc, until I saw Skyrim advertised on TV last year. I've been playing the game almost constantly for a year now.

It's nothing like the turn-based Final Fantasy stuff (I hate that, too), the combat is very fluid and all about your skill level and practice, as well as your personal style and the items you use.

You can do anything in Skyrim, pretty much. Follow any or all of the questlines, or do none at all and be potentially just as powerful in your own way. You can become a bounty hunter working for the local lords, or just work as an alchemist or blacksmith and sell your own wares to other businesses. I've played dozens of characters on this game, each one unique and special in their own way.

In terms of player houses, there's 5 in the original game, more if you own an Xbox and download the Hearthfire DLC pack, or you can pretty much create your own if you intend to play on PC.

At first I used to just pick up and play this game, but after a couple of months of learning more about the incredible depth of creativity in the series, I started reading the in-game books and learning more about the in-game history from Skyrim, and the events before the game. The "lore" is really fascinating, and I never expected to take any interest in it, especially considering I'd never played an RPG (except for the GTA games, I suppose).

In other words, I could not possibly recommend this game enough. :Dragonborn:

ps, you joined the right forum, we're the best ;)

Volanere

Grand Magister
Its the only game ive really played since its release lets just say that.

Midna316

Jr866, as an elder scrolls noob, I can tell you it is very easy to learn to play. But be warned: it is extremely addictive. You say you have a young son and not very much time to play. This game will suck up many hours of your time. It is immersive and hard to step away from mentally. If you have a few hours after your son goes to bed every night to play this, that may be enough to satisfy you.

IMHO, this is the greatest game ever. I wish there were other games like it, but it seems to be in a class of its own. It may have ruined me for any other game.

jr866gooner

Hello all,

Thank you for both replying and reading my post.

Quick update, thought you'd like to know I went to my local supermarket and picked up skyrim for £25 so that's the last of my Christmas money spent! Hope its worth every penny! Lol

I will let you all know if I get addicted!

You will no doubt read more of my posts most likely begging for help! :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2