TES 'Upcoming MMO'. A Miracle or a Disaster?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Aeri Shadow

Dainty Elven Heir
I heard about The Elder Scrolls' upcoming MMO. I'm kind of excited, but I'm not sure how everything would work out. Might just be because I'm so used to it being a single-player, but what do you think?

Shadowbane

Premium Member
Im willing to bet that the gameplay wont be the same as the series. Probably more cartoony judging by screen shots ive seen

Aeri Shadow

Dainty Elven Heir
Im willing to bet that the gameplay wont be the same as the series. Probably more cartoony judging by screen shots ive seen

Yeah! I was really worried about that.. I LOVE the Raw epicness that Skyrim has got right now. Most MMOs are Anime/cartoony crap. I wouldn't mind if it had a kind of WoW feel though. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Grelod The Kind

Frankly I feel like it'll be a flop since most of Skyrim's marvels stem from how... open it is. Like, you obviously can't have leveled monsters in an MMO, which means this area will be for level 1-5, that area will be from level 5-10, et cetera. Chances are, to keep the game 'balanced', leveling will also be based on experience points from quests and monsters rather than leveling up skills. Also, the amount of lore involved in TES is pretty must impossible to incorporate in a multi-player thing. Sorry, Bethesda, but I'm sticking to Skyrim.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I probably won't play the MMO either, as those types of games are usually generic compared to the single player RPGs, but I can't blame Bethesda for wanting to cash in on the MMO craze. Most Skyrim players aren't into the MMO experience, from what I've seen in the forums. But there are a lot of WoW players out there looking to re-lapse. ;)

Grelod The Kind

Maybe taking some of LOTRO's aspects would have a good effect, as LOTRO has a good deal of lore in itself due to.. well, being based off of a series of fantasy novels.

Aeri Shadow

Dainty Elven Heir
Yeah, I agree with everyone. The game takes place in ALL of Tamriel, and you start off with a certain faction, then it branches off into PvP or something like that, I'm probably wrong. I doubt it'll live up to what Bethesda has to offer.

TheOtherTed

Frankly I feel like it'll be a flop since most of Skyrim's marvels stem from how... open it is. Like, you obviously can't have leveled monsters in an MMO, which means this area will be for level 1-5, that area will be from level 5-10, et cetera.
Actually it is possible to have leveled monsters - it's just that almost nobody does it in MMOs, and those very few who do reserve it for special events or world bosses. It hasn't been well-developed as a technology - whether because it "couldn't possibly work" or because nobody's played with it enough is an open question, IMO.
Sorry, Bethesda, but I'm sticking to Skyrim.
The MMO is being developed by Zenimax. From what I understand, the folks at Bethesda are acting as lore consultants, but otherwise aren't much involved.

I'm on the fence about a TES MMO, myself. I said in another thread that my first reaction to Skyrim was "This is what MMOs should be like." Nevertheless, it'll be next to impossible to capture the "lone adventurer" feel that I like about Skyrim without really heavy instancing, which, IMO, kind of defies the point of MMOs. Plus, while I love Skyrim as a single-player RPG, I don't feel like the questing structure is different enough from instance-rich MMOs to actually stand out much as an MMO per se.

That, and the early noises I'm hearing from Zenimax, especially where the UI is concerned, make me a little nervous.

DRB42bac16

if you read the gameinformer article on TESO, it seemed like it had a decent plot. but i think it will be harder for TES vets to get in to, because we're gonna be going in expecting morrowind/oblivion/skyrim gameplay, aspects, concepts, etc. and not expecting a Elder Scrolls game that "dumbs down" it's detail level but allows for PvP warfare and Co-Op questing.
basically, Bethesda has spoiled Elder Scrolls vets to the point where anything less than the amount of detail and quality they present on a regular basis wouldn't be acceptable.

that being said, it has the potential to possibly become the worlds leading MMO if it can pull off most of the Bethesda level of detail, and STILL deliver a working multiplayer open-ended game.

Hunfar

Not gonna lie, venturing through all of Tamriel sounds pretty tempting. I'll pay whatever and see if I like it; but either way I'll end up exploring all provinces before I even think about quitting... Unless it is just that bad.

Grelod The Kind

It almost seems to me like they're rushing through everything. Unless development began waaaay before Skyrim was released, it'll be at most 2 1/4 years from Skyrim to TES:O. Just look at the 5-year gap between Oblivion and Skyrim.

Of course, since Zenimax is developing it, this means that they have their own resources and therefore TWO TES games can be made simultaneously.

Hunfar

It almost seems to me like they're rushing through everything. Unless development began waaaay before Skyrim was released, it'll be at most 2 1/4 years from Skyrim to TES:O. Just look at the 5-year gap between Oblivion and Skyrim.

Of course, since Zenimax is developing it, this means that they have their own resources and therefore TWO TES games can be made simultaneously.

It's been in development since 2006, I believe.