• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dark Assassin

Obsessed with the aldmeri dominion
Well we all know the fox in Skyrim. Its not a fox, its THEE fox. It always appears to be anywhere in the direction my quest is at. Is that purposely put in? Whenever I get lost (I like to turn off the compass for a while), and I see the re-appearing fox, I follow it. Anyone else do that? And is it purposely put in the game for that reason?

Chadonraz

Foxes have never been anything special i my games; I don't notice them any more or less than I do bunny rabbits.
I've never followed a fox, either.

Vanilla red foxes look very washed-out - that is noteworthy about them. :D

Dark Assassin

Obsessed with the aldmeri dominion
I guess its just me? Whenever I'm on quests, they appear to be following me. Up mountains. Down mountains. Taking a stroll by the river, even fighting dragons. Hmmm. But I hate on my Mage char when they interrupt my research. That character reads books in skyrim for a living :,D

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
Yes. Check out my tag line. "When in doubt, follow the fox." Skyrim has all kinds of "tells" for which way to go, besides flying flags and stacked rocks. Foxes are one of them. The weather is another. When you're going the wrong way, the weather gets really bad--blinding snow in the cold regions, wind-whipping rain in the warmer regions. When you change course and go the right way, suddenly the skies get all sunny! But yeah, foxes are very wise.

Wildroses

I always avoided following foxes after I read about the guy who was letting his daughters aged 8, 5 and 3 watch him play Skyrim. Not wanting them to see decapitating bandits and shiving old ladies, his play session was mostly walking around the tundra plains enjoying the pretty scenery. They ended up following a fox all the way down to the river, when a mudcrab reached out a pincer, went snap, and caused the fox's corpse to land in the river. There was a chorus of gasps from the little girls and one of them started crying. After that story I assumed following a fox meant instant environment death, so I always avoided them so they would live. Foxes are so cute.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
It doesn't seem to matter the playthrough, but, I suspect because I always adopt Lucia, I inevitably end up with a fox as a pet at whatever home I'm at. While it's weird in Solitude, it seems very appropriate at Lakeview.
I love the little things. Wheezy they may be (and I can hear the dern thing when I'm in the basement and he/she is on the 2nd floor!), but I'll sometime sneak around and follow it about the house. It's just so adorable. I'm sure Lucia thinks I'm a freek, but I do enjoy that.
I do notice that, if you follow a fox, occassionally, it'll lead you to a path you've not discovered before. That's how I discovered the path from Bleak Falls toward the Western Watch Tower. Let me tell you that fox ran when it saw the Troll!

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I thought it was common knowledge that foxes lead you to things. They definitely do... it even says so on the Wiki.

Chadonraz

^ Elder Scrolls Wiki is unreliable.

I tried following a fox yesterday, for no real reason. It just kept following a main road, doing a 180 or 360 every now and then.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
^ Elder Scrolls Wiki is unreliable.

I tried following a fox yesterday, for no real reason. It just kept following a main road, doing a 180 or 360 every now and then.

Everyone says that about every Wiki. I've followed foxes many times for the sole reason of seeing where it will lead me and every single time it has led me to something. Whether it's a path, some ore or an ambush... so in this case the Wiki is reliable. It's sometimes hard to determine exactly it's leading you to because sometimes it's just a patch of mushrooms.

Chadonraz

I tried following a fox again... and this time it actually led me to something I'd never, ever found before...

... a Spriggan, a Spriggan Matriarch (mod), a bear, a cave bear and a bear cub (same mod). >.<

There was also a bear hunter's camp nearby, which I'd never seen, either. So, I suppose I stand corrected. :)

But I'm not following foxes again! The damn bears killed me. :sadface:
I had my revenge, though. The power of reloading. :cool:

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Foxes, like all the other NPC's spawn at certain set locations. As far as I am concerned, there is no connection with you being on a quest.