The Game of Thrones thread! (Warning: Spoilers will be present!)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daryl Dixon

Absentee
I don't mean to be mean but when you do things like that it's all I can be.
Patience wears thin when you're repeatedly accused of the stupidest things.

EpicVakarian

Calibration-Master General
Wow, just stop. Dixon, Kitty was trying to explain how you'd annoyed her and you threw it back in her face along with a mouthful of saliva. Kitty, Dixon said what he thinks might be happening, not what he knows. I can tell you now, he definitely doesn't know; you don't find out what happened to the Mountain for a while in the books.
Now, shake hands and make up.

sticky runes

Did I miss something? thought that baby was taken by the white walkers, but he was back with his mum when the wildlings attacked? :confused:

EpicVakarian

Calibration-Master General
Gilly's baby was gone with Gilly and Sam long, long before Rast took the baby out. Different babies.

sticky runes

Ah, so one lot was Gilly and the whores and the other lot were the daughters/wives of the daughter shagger. I see.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Wow, just stop. Dixon, Kitty was trying to explain how you'd annoyed her and you threw it back in her face along with a mouthful of saliva. Kitty, Dixon said what he thinks might be happening, not what he knows. I can tell you now, he definitely doesn't know; you don't find out what happened to the Mountain for a while in the books.
Now, shake hands and make up.

Well in my second post I realized where he was coming from and was happy to leave it there. Which is why I did not make any further mention of it. :)

EDIT: He also edited his post AFTER I read them.

Daryl Dixon

Absentee
Ugh George Martin is too smart for his own good. I didn't put the R's in because with my name I don't put the initial my middle name so why bother, we all know who I'm talking about.

I can't wait for the last two episodes so we can talk about them.
Just omg.
I'm so invested in this world.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Plus I loved Tyrion's story about the beetle crusher. While it had no point in the end apart from him musing about his uncertain future, it was amusing.

I think it was a metaphor for or reference to Gregor. Who knows why he does what he does, smushing lesser being

I thought it was a metaphor for all human life, or at least more specifically, human war. That's what we do, after all... smash lesser beings, even when those lesser beings are other humans.

Wildroses

I've read the books but don't watch the show. I do, however, keep an eye on how the show is progressing so I can watch how people react to shocking plot events and laugh as the tears of grief fall from their horror struck faces see how newcomers react to events which to me happened so long ago I've forgotten how I felt with any clarity. It makes the event seem fresh again.

That said, I'm genuinely surprised at the strength of the reaction to the Red Viper's death. I don't remember it being nearly such a big deal for me when I read it. (Incidentally, the scene in the book played exactly like the TV show. Readers thought he'd won, only to have Gregor grab his foot and confess so bloodily. Tyrion even quipped to Ellaria that he was feeling more innocent by the second).

Oberyn wasn't a view point character, which might have had something to do with it for me. But of course, TV is not a medium that can get you into someones head, so for TV watchers every character feels exactly the same. Pedro Pascal's performance seems to be highly regarded, so maybe this strong reaction can be put down to the rapport with the actor. Certainly a good actor who gets into the role can elevate a character in a way mere writing can't.

I've also come across two different upset journalists saying that if Tyrion loses his head they are stopping watching the show because they won't have anyone left to root for thanks to the Red Wedding, so it might be an issue of pacing. In the books, we met Oberyn before the Red Wedding. But the TV watchers might have been thinking: "Red Wedding last season OH MY GOD! The Starks are dead. There aren't any non-Lannister good guys now. Who are we supposed to root for? Who will take up the banner against the Lannisters? Who will fill the place in our hearts Robb, Talisa and Catelyn had? Well, season four has started and there is this really cool guy called Oberyn who hates the Lannisters for ordering the murder of his sister and her children. I guess things are going to be alright after all...OH MY GOD!"

I also note lots of people are seriously worried Tyrion is going to be executed now, as this is a show that has proved time and again no one is safe. Note how I carefully avoided saying whether or not Tyrion is going to be executed.

And also, I suppose it is possible that other book readers were as devastated at Oberyn's death and I was unusual. Or maybe I was devastated at his death and just don't remember. I read the third book as soon as it came out. I was fifteen then. Finish your goddamn books Martin. I've been waiting nearly half my life!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
And also, I suppose it is possible that other book readers were as devastated at Oberyn's death and I was unusual.

I'm unusual, too. All of the book readers I know loved Oberyn and were devastated by his death, but I just didn't get it. I didn't understand why so many people loved this character so much. I didn't dislike him, but I certainly didn't love him, and he was around for so short a time that his death only affected me in terms of what it meant for Tyrion.

Enter Pedro Pascal. From his very first scene, I was captivated. He brought Oberyn to life for me. He gave him the depth I didn't see in the book. Now I had to try not to like the character, because I knew what was coming for him. But, seven hells, I fell completely in love with him. I dreaded that episode all season. It was the first episode I seriously didn't want to watch. And it was so much worse than I'd even imagined, because Pedro is so damned good. His performance was just chilling, and made me love Oberyn even more in his eleventh hour.

I remember the upset that happened when Pedro was cast, because he was "too white" to be Oberyn, and he didn't look anything like what people imagined, and they were sure the character was totally ruined by the casting. Well, I hope those people are eating their words now. Pedro was brilliant, and one of the best casting choices in the series so far, in my opinion.

But the TV watchers might have been thinking: "Red Wedding last season OH MY GOD! The Starks are dead. There aren't any non-Lannister good guys now. Who are we supposed to root for? Who will take up the banner against the Lannisters? Who will fill the place in our hearts Robb, Talisa and Catelyn had? Well, season four has started and there is this really cool guy called Oberyn who hates the Lannisters for ordering the murder of his sister and her children. I guess things are going to be alright after all...OH MY GOD!"

This is another reason I'm unusual. Though the Red Wedding was devastating in that it was so unexpected and so brutal, I had never liked Robb, and Catelyn was one of my least favorite characters, so I wasn't that distraught over their deaths. Grey Wind's death hit me harder than either of theirs.

I'm a Lannister fan. Jaime is my favorite character, Tyrion is my second, and Cersei and Tywin are on the list, too (though I like the latter two more in the show than I did the books). I don't see them as the "bad guys." I found Ned Stark's actions to be much worse than any Lannister's. Everyone is a good guy from their own perspective, and I understand and relate to the Lannisters' perspectives more than anyone else's.

Ironically, even though they're the Lannisters' greatest enemies, the Martells are my second favorite House.

Epic Keith

I agree iPag, After Ned's death I learned never to care for a character, (I ended up caring for Robb because I was enraged about Ned's death, but both father and son were pretty stupid), but Pedro Pascal's performance of Oberyn was epic. Oberyn's death was the one which affected me the most, it hurt me even more than the Red Wedding. Now I'm worrying for Tyrion.

Well as long as we have Arya and the Hound and as well as Jon (who knows nothing, I'm cool)

BTW I first hated the Lannisters but Jaime, Tyrion and Tywin turned up to be wonderful characters. (Cersei is still a bitch)

Epic Keith

And btw, did everyone forget how Jorah went from the "Advisor Friend" friendzone to the "Exiled Friend" friendzone!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
And btw, did everyone forget how Jorah went from the "Advisor Friend" friendzone to the "Exiled Friend" friendzone!
No, because I've been looking forward to The Kiss since halfway through last season and they TOTALLY CUT IT AND I AM SO ANGRY.

Looking forward to Jorah's adventure next season, though.

Epic Keith

No, because I've been looking forward to The Kiss since halfway through last season and they TOTALLY CUT IT AND I AM SO ANGRY.

Looking forward to Jorah's adventure next season, though.

I wonder if he will ever come back....

Funny how he was with her for such a long time and she still sees him as a friend and Daario is there for two seconds and the next thing you know, he's in her pants....or gown for this matter.

(I liked the old Daario better for some reason, he looked like the type who could woo Dany)

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
(I liked the old Daario better for some reason, he looked like the type who could woo Dany)
Agreed. Sure, he looked nothing like Daario, but he had that highly suggestive cocky swagger down pat. The new guy is taking it in much more of a romantic hero direction, which bothers me. Daario was not romantic.

I totally get why Dany romantically favored Daario over Jorah, though. Jorah was a father figure to her. Daario was young and handsome and like Drogo in some ways.

Epic Keith

I just saw the new trailer for Witcher 3 and just noticed Charles Dance's voice in it!