Spoiler The Theivesguild and Karliah

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
So after you fully complete the Thieves guild quests everything is back to where it is. you complete a few more thieves quests by stealing or whatever in each major city in order to bring back the fences. However what I don't get is that isn't this the beginning of a whole new set of problems for the guild knowing that Karlaih was responsible for pissing off Maven? A huge benefit for the guild? The one person that kept the guild up while it was slipping away? Whatever happen to that idea? How can this be ignored? Maven is the type that doesn't easily forget things, especially with people who wants to screw with her.

Maven did say (I don't remember the exact quote) "Whoever this is will regret to ever starting a war with me"

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
This is one of the smallest problems regarding the Thieves Guild. I had more "this doesn't make any sense" moments during the Thieves Guild than any other faction in the game.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
I was expecting another quest at the end in regards to Maven and Karliah both being in Riften now in the open

Ritterkreuz

Maven got a better deal then revenge, she now has her crafty little rival working for her. Additionally if not for Karliah, Mercer's treachery wouldn't have been exposed until it was all too late. So in the long run, Karliah was actually doing Maven a favor.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Maven got a better deal then revenge, she now has her crafty little rival working for her. Additionally if not for Karliah, Mercer's treachery wouldn't have been exposed until it was all too late. So in the long run, Karliah was actually doing Maven a favor.

This.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar

Exactly how is Karliah working with Maven now if you don't mind me asking? After you return the skeleton key to the Twilight Sepulcher I remember her saying that she will stay there until the day that she dies. She doesn't return back to the Cistern. If she was Vald.... now that would be a whole different story. And how did Karliah do a maven a favor by exposing Mercer Frey? Mercer wasn't screwing with Maven. He was screwing with the guild by stealing from them, and using guild resource for his own personal reasons. Gallus caught on to his games, and he wand up getting murdered by Mercer to keep him quiet. He then framed Karliah with his death. Karliah wanted payback, and so she used Maven (by attempting to cause trouble with her business), Brynjolf (Selling his soul to that crow bitch) and you (Selling your soul to the crow bitch) to get back at Mercer for not only getting her name cleared, but also return to the crow bitches good side.

Karliah did nothing that benefited Maven. In fact she pissed her off dearly.

Ritterkreuz

Karliah is still part of the Thieves guild, so any odd jobs she might do in the future will benefit the guild and thus Maven. Plus, now that Nocturnal is happy with the guild again they should return to their prosperous ways. In the end, things work out rather nicely for Maven

And how did Karliah do a maven a favor by exposing Mercer Frey? Mercer wasn't screwing with Maven. He was screwing with the guild by stealing from them, and using guild resource for his own personal reasons.

He was destroying the Guild, one of Maven's chief tools, from the inside out.

Exactly how is Karliah working with Maven now if you don't mind me asking? After you return the skeleton key to the Twilight Sepulcher I remember her saying that she will stay there until the day that she dies. She doesn't return back to the Cistern. If she was Vald.... now that would be a whole different story. And how did Karliah do a maven a favor by exposing Mercer Frey? Mercer wasn't screwing with Maven. He was screwing with the guild by stealing from them, and using guild resource for his own personal reasons. Gallus caught on to his games, and he wand up getting murdered by Mercer to keep him quiet. He then framed Karliah with his death. Karliah wanted payback, and so she used Maven (by attempting to cause trouble with her business), Brynjolf (Selling his soul to that crow bitch) and you (Selling your soul to the crow bitch) to get back at Mercer for not only getting her name cleared, but also return to the crow bitches good side.

Karliah did nothing that benefited Maven. In fact she pissed her off dearly.

Well, if we assume that Maven uses the Guild as a valuable tool, and that Mercer threatened to destroy that tool, and that Maven finances the Guild...then Mercer was both stealing Maven's money and hurting her clandestine right hand. Maven, being a not-stupid business women would understand that any enemy of her enemy is her friend. Because Karliah exposed Mercer's theft and betrayal, and because you then subsequently deal with Mercer, Maven sees that she's now back to her unopposed position of power as a direct result of Karliah and the Player's actions.

Karliah's loyalties were to Gallus and Nocturnal...Gallus a member of the Thieves Guild, and Nocturnal the diety responsible for there even being a Thieves Guild. Moreso than most, her loyalties never waned...not for gold or power...and she spends her exile trying to correct mistakes and restore Nocturnal's favor. The result of this is the Player (Delvin admits you're the best) being made Guild Leader and Maven's power and financial hold on the area restored.

Since the Guild being powerful means even greater odds for Maven's continued success, by extension every single thing Karliah did benefited Maven. And since Maven has to be one smart cookie to have become that powerful, its entirely plausible that she understands that in the grand scheme of things, Karliah's actions made things better for both the Guild and the Black-Briars.

At least, that's how I figured it.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Exactly how is Karliah working with Maven now if you don't mind me asking? After you return the skeleton key to the Twilight Sepulcher I remember her saying that she will stay there until the day that she dies.
You must be playing a different version of the game. She doesn't say any such thing in the vanilla version of the game. She says she's going to take up thievery again. She does return to the Cistern to attend your coronation ceremony as Guild Master:
standalone

You can see her back at Nightingale Hall later in the game.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
I don't remember her saying that she is not going back to Riften, but Karliah was responsible for the Goldenglow and Honningbrew situations, so I would not think she is on Maven's good side

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts