The worst thing about Skyrim? The player dialogue.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Gore gro-Gijakudob

Every Beth game is bug heavy, we all know that and have to work around it a lot. But you know what really annoys me? The player dialogue, by that I mean the options the player is given to respond to a line from an NPC. The amount of times the option is 1) Sound like a douchbag, 2) Sound like an agressive douchbag or 3) Sound like a cowardly douchbag. And twice now I have chosen a response completely the opposite of what I meant. Example one, Maven Black-Brier, I responded with "I'm sorry to disappoint you". This is clearly a sarcastic response. Well no it isn't, it means you are a sniveling sycophant. Example two (much worse) regarding Madanach, "I want revenge!" which easily means, against the twats that imprisoned me. But no, it means attack me until one of us is dead... Sheesh, they really need to improve dialogue in the next game. Anyone else been stuck at what exactly to choose for a response?

I have never had any confusion about what I was saying to other NPCs, but I would agree that more options to fit more role playing styles would be nice.

Exelex

The worst thing(s) about Skyrim = bugs/glitches/freezes/crashes/lagging

Those are the 'real' worst thing(s) about Skyrim.

Morgan

Don't forget the ones that make you sound like an idiot.

"Deadbeats? What did they do?"

They didn't pay their debts, obviously. That's what the word "deadbeat" means!!

Gore gro-Gijakudob

It's something that BioWare did extremely well is the Neverwinter Nights series. (They even changed your dialog options based on the intelligence stat of your character not only what your character said, but HOW they said it - genius). It's disappointing that in such a wonderfully immersive and beautiful world, that the dialogue options are what pull me right out of that immersion time and time again. And yes, Morgan, I agree, sometimes you have no option but to say something idiotic.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.

DovahCap

The one cube to rule them all.
I agree with this thread completely. My character Leksandr is supposed to be a smart Nord warrior, but his dialogue is always screaming snarky sarcastic idiot.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I agree with this thread completely. My character Leksandr is supposed to be a smart Nord warrior, but his dialogue is always screaming snarky sarcastic idiot.

Snarky and sarcastic is smart.

Exelex

If you want your Nord to literally be smart, gain more magicka.

Magicka (mana) = (Intelligence x 2) + (Any Bonuses or Signs)

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
If you want your Nord to literally be smart, gain more magicka.

Magicka (mana) = (Intelligence x 2) + (Any Bonuses or Signs)

Fallout's science = Elder Scrolls' magic.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
Some of the dialogue options are so painfully stupid they make me die a little bit inside. Two of the worst can think of:

- At the very start of the game when you ask Hadvar/Ralof about Ulfric, and your only dialogue choices are "He's a traitor of some sort?" and "I don't pay much attention to current events." WHAT. How do either of those options make any sense? Especially if you're a Nord, how could you not know about the civil war?

- When you first arrive at the dwarven ruin to confront Mercer Frey, the only thing you can say to Brynjolf is "Those bandits back there..." WHY would I give a second thought to some dead bandits when I've killed 100's? And then at the end of the quest, saying "The difference is I still have honor" to Mercer. Both are headdesk worthy.

Even if it resulted in the same scripted response, having more dialogue choices would make the game infinitely better. Just something to make my character not sound like an ignorant moron.

Serebro Moniker

He who moves it moves it
I love this thread.
Two more things about player dialogue I hate:
-You don't talk like a Fantasy character. You talk like an average American.
Fantasy characters don't say 'don't', they say 'do not'. They don't say 'won't', they say 'will not', and so on.

-You get the option to ask pointless questions.
Why do I get the option to ask *insert name here* Greymane where I can get a drink, when I I've spent the last two nights in a room at the Bannered Mare?
Also, Why is it impossible for me to give a straight answer half the time? The common Skyrim conversation goes like this:
NPC: 'Do you know who Argon the Flame King is?
Me (option one): 'I might. Why don't you remind me?
Me (option two): No idea. Tell me.

WHY?
If I've played the game before, I don't need it to be explained to me that Argon the Flame King uses the fires of hell itself to kidnap children and throw them late birthday parties. C'mon, Bethesda.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I really would like to see the BioWare conversation wheel in a Bethesda game. It's a simple but effective system. The left side is all information and lets you dig further into the character and story of the game, while the right side is your response. It even has a nice format to follow:

Top: Nice/Non-aggressive/Polite.
Middle: Sarcastic/Funny/Neutral/"I don't give two fluffs".
Bottom: Aggressive/Mean/"fluff you I'm a bad ass"

Mass Effect and Dragon Age 2 both proved this WORKS. Sometimes the wheel is adapted to fit a particular situation, but it let's you actually have a conversation of some kind. It makes RP much more a part of the game and let's you choose how you respond both in personality and actually response, further developing your character and others opinions of them. If I am given a job I can: A) respond in a way that suits my character, B) dig for more information, or C) basically just cut to the chase and get skull cracking.

I normally don't support ripping ideas from other companies, as I feel it causes their games to feel less unique and they loose the identity therefore loosing what makes that company and their games so great and unique from everyone else, but I believe the conversation wheel of ME and DA2 should one day be a standard element of RPGs, or some form of it. It grants real depth to my experience. You don't even need to have voice actors for every game, just the structure and concept of behind the conversation wheel is enough for it to work.

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
I love this thread.
Two more things about player dialogue I hate:
-You don't talk like a Fantasy character. You talk like an average American.
Fantasy characters don't say 'don't', they say 'do not'. They don't say 'won't', they say 'will not', and so on.
..snip
That's like wow, oh my god!, so amazingly true! [sarcasm alert]

The guards are the worst culprits. And they say things that come straight out of 70's and 80's cop shows:- e.g. `Disrespect the law, and you disrespect me`...no one would have even thought like that before 70s cliques set out to conquer the English language. It doesn't even MEAN anything if you actually break it down. It's just a cool 70s cop type thing to say.
Another : `Go fiddling with any locks around here, we're going to have a real problem`...no, no, no. Let's try `Go fiddling with any locks around here, and I'll clap you in Irons myself, by Talos !....

Ok it's a minor rant, and it's over ;)

MyNameIsJon

It's something that BioWare did extremely well is the Neverwinter Nights series.

Well, you're talking about a different kind of game altogether, let alone a different company.

Immersive dialog is not Bethesda's strong suit. Their Skyrim world is phenomenal, but I guess no game has it all.

Well, you're talking about a different kind of game altogether, let alone a different company.

Immersive dialog is not Bethesda's strong suit. Their Skyrim world is phenomenal, but I guess no game has it all.
Complete agreement. I would love to see some better dialogue, but I agree that Bethesda has some trouble doing dialogue. The start of the game is the perfect example. After the first guy is beheaded, the town shouts completely seperately. I makes it feel scripted and fake.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts