What do you all think of Lord of the Rings?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Personally, I was originally not a huge fan of it. But everyone at my school loved it, so I was pressured into seeing The Hobbit.

Now, I have all of the movies, all the way back to the Fellowship of the Ring. So what do you guys think of LotR? I think it, lore-wise, is just as if not more interesting than TES.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
LotR....not gonna lie, never interested me, even before it was the big 'it' thing. The Hobbit looks cute though, and I know my man wants to see it so I'll probably go with him. I mean, it's the prequel, I'm not gonna miss anything because I get bored 10 minutes into the Two Towers and turn it off, right?

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
LotR....not gonna lie, never interested me, even before it was the big 'it' thing. The Hobbit looks cute though, and I know my man wants to see it so I'll probably go with him. I mean, it's the prequel, I'm not gonna miss anything because I get bored 10 minutes into the Two Towers and turn it off, right?

Definitely see it. I wasn't really interested in LotR either. But The Hobbit sparked it. Amazing movie, even if you haven't seen any of the others.

Anyway, I've noticed that TES takes a lot of inspiration from LotR. i.e., High Elves, Wood Elves, Orcs, Dwarves, etc.

thatwudbryan

yet another skyrim enthusiast
Aww man if you liked the movies, which are great don't get me wrong, the books will make you like it even more trust me, I'm not even that much of a reader. The movies really don't do the books justice in regards to just how perilous their journeys really were. Matter of fact I'd go so far as to say the books almost make the movies seem like a sunshine-n-lollipops type deal, seriously, you read the books you'll get what I mean. Can't say for 'The Hobbit' though (still haven't seen it) but if it's anything like the sequels, it probably won't portray the journey as well as the books did. I've said too much already though, if you enjoyed the movies, read the books as well you won't regret it

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Aww man if you liked the movies, which are great don't get me wrong, the books will make you like it even more trust me, I'm not even that much of a reader. The movies really don't do the books justice in regards to just how perilous their journeys really were. Matter of fact I'd go so far as to say the books almost make the movies seem like a sunshine-n-lollipops type deal, seriously, you read the books you'll get what I mean. Can't say for 'The Hobbit' though (still haven't seen it) but if it's anything like the sequels, it probably won't portray the journey as well as the books did. I've said too much already though, if you enjoyed the movies, read the books as well you won't regret it

I plan to read the books when I can.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
I think LotR surpasses TES in terms of lore, history and depth, hands down. TES has a rich and detailed history behind it, too, but it's nothing compared to the mythos of Middle-earth, which was essentially one man's life's work. When you read the appendices, the Unfinished Tales, the History of Middle-earth or Silmarillion, you begin to understand the scope and depth of it all, and it is staggering. It starts to feel more like mythical history that actually happened in a fantasy setting. I think the movies were good, but the books are even better. I haven't yet seen the Hobbit, but will do so tomorrow if possible. I expect it won't disappoint, even if it is thematically different from the LotR movies (more lighthearted, but that's how it should be, considering it was originally intended as a children's adventure book).

thatwudbryan

yet another skyrim enthusiast
I plan to read the books when I can.
If you really are into em, I'd suggest trying to get a hold of the (don't know exact name) 3-in-1 gigantic bible sized trilogy with about 1-200 hundred (maybe more) pages of lore and backstories for many if not all, persons mentioned in the books. Good stuff

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
LOL I'll add them to my list then, I'm still working my way through the Song of Ice and Fire books. :)

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
Oh Chowder... I thought you were older. You must be a Yung'n.

Umm so, what is Lord of the Rings? kidding. Yeah I read the Books when I was younger and saw the movies when I wasn't younger. I liked the Movies, but I'm not totally sure why now. I think it's because before that, a movie of the Lord of the Rings was always doomed to be a very very very horrible Cartoon.

And with that, it's strange because I have no intrest in seeing the Hobbit movie unless it comes on TV on afternoon years from now. It's also strange because I really loved the Hobbit book when I was little. It was one of those books my mother kept saying "Read it you'll like it" trying to get me to do anything that doesn't have a console controller attached to it.

But as for what you said about it's "Lore" ..yes. Infact there wouldn't be an Elder Scrolls if there was no Tolkien Middle Earth Mythos. Before the Books Dwarves were only Evil in Folklore, Elves were things that made toys for Santa Claus, and Orcs.... orcs weren't even invented. Any Game, Book, Movie that says the word "Orc" as a Tough Green Guy is a total rip off of lord of the rings. :D

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
If you really are into em, I'd suggest trying to get a hold of the (don't know exact name) 3-in-1 gigantic bible sized trilogy with about 1-200 hundred (maybe more) pages of lore and backstories for many if not all, persons mentioned in the books. Good stuff

I most likely will. I was really into the Eragon series a while back, too. Has many similarities to LotR.

Ragnvaldr

That Canadian guy.
Had the pleasure of seeing The Hobbit at a sneak peak on the night of the 13th and couldn't have been more pleased. Yes there were many differences from the book, but they worked so well that I didn't mind. Jackson tied all the "extras" in with the existing mythos perfectly.
You couldn't have torn the smile from my face I was so happy to visit Middle-Earth again after nine years!

And as a side note, I didn't see what the big deal was about the 48fps film rate, it looked awesome to me.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
I got halfway through Fellowship of the Ring before deciding I was too bored to continue lol. I've seen all the movies though and they're good. It's just not really my cup of tea.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
If it wasn't for Tolkien, Skyrim wouldn't exist. Dungeons and Dragons wouldn't exist.

The books were amazing, but as far as the movies go, meeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Don't get me wrong, Peter Jackson stayed as true as possible to the books. Something that eludes Hollywood 99.9999999999999% of the time. But I just got sick of the over-dramatic camera angles that ZOOMED-IN on all the actors faces EVERY F***ING FIVE SECONDS! :mad: You can definitely tell Jackson was primarily a horror movie director before LOTR.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
If it wasn't for Tolkien, Skyrim wouldn't exist. Dungeons and Dragons wouldn't exist.

The books were amazing, but as far as the movies go, meeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Don't get me wrong, Peter Jackson stayed as true as possible to the books. Something that eludes Hollywood 99.9999999999999% of the time. But I just got sick of the over-dramatic camera angles that ZOOMED-IN on all the actors faces EVERY F***ING FIVE SECONDS! :mad: You can definitely tell Jackson was primarily a horror movie director before LOTR.

Yeah, he had to be a horror movie director first. You can even tell by some of the characters:

Frodo.jpg

sticky runes

I was in college when the LOTR movies were in production, and one of my friends said I should definitly read the books before the movies come out (I was already into fantasy art and mythology and RPGs) so I told my parents I wanted LOTR trilogy as a christmas present, read them all and loved them. Watched each of the movies as they came out, and loved them. I read the Hobbit afterwards, thought it was bit stupid, but I am interested in seeing how the new movies turn out.

sticky runes

But then, why would somebody who enjoys playing role-playing games wbout elves, orcs and wizards be remotely interested in any of Tolkien's stories? ;)