What's your most useful shout?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BG5150

I've been using the fire shout a lot, but I used slow time a couple times in hard fights. Sometimes I forget I have that one.

Which shout(s) do you find useful?

Lucid

I don't think I can pick a "most useful", I roll through shouts a lot. I still have a lot of love for Fus Ro Dah.

I've been using Aura Whisper a lot lately. It's pretty great for a character that doesn't have the Detect Life spell.

I also like to use Become Ethereal and jump off of mountains. I can get from High Hrothgar to Riverwood in seconds.

And of course, everything is better with fire.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Top 5 although I use a lot of other ones on occassion (I luv fire breath!)

1) Unrelenting Force ('cause it's fun to make things fly)
2) Become Ethereal (nothing better for jumping off a mountain)
3) Kynes Peace (that way nothing fights back when I kill it)
4) Slow Time (so much destruction while they can't move)
5) Dragon Rend (Dragon's are just easier to kill on the ground)

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
My new favorite shout is "Drain Vitality" which through some glitch always shows up twice in the shout list although it seems like the same thing. Before that it was "Ice Form".

JoeReese

I love Unrelenting force, but I'm not on speaking terms with its recharge time. I generally like instant, fight-stopping shouts, which give me that moment to draw my sword and start swinging. I used to use ice form a lot for that, but then I got cyclone and it soon became my fav. It throws them up in the air and drops them on their heads, much like unrelenting force, but without the long recharge and without the couple of seconds lag time during which they always seemed to move or an NPC always seemed to get in the way.

Otherwise, dragonrend is very useful. Become ethereal is great, and whirlwind sprint is good for moving when you're over-encumbered.

Daelon, try bend will on a dragon instead of dragonrend. He'll land right then and there, instead of circling first, and he won't fight when you one-shot him to death.

JoeReese

I've been using Aura Whisper a lot lately. It's pretty great for a character that doesn't have the Detect Life spell.

Ah, that's another great one. It sees further, works for living, dead, and even dwarven constructs, and seems to last longer.

Daelon DuLac

I love Unrelenting force, but I'm not on speaking terms with its recharge time. I generally like instant, fight-stopping shouts, which give me that moment to draw my sword and start swinging. I used to use ice form a lot for that, but then I got cyclone and it soon became my fav. It throws them up in the air and drops them on their heads, much like unrelenting force, but without the long recharge and without the couple of seconds lag time during which they always seemed to move or an NPC always seemed to get in the way.

Otherwise, dragonrend is very useful. Become ethereal is great, and whirlwind sprint is good for moving when you're over-encumbered.

Daelon, try bend will on a dragon instead of dragonrend. He'll land right then and there, instead of circling first, and he won't fight when you one-shot him to death.
Thank you! I will try that. I think I'll have to do Solstheim to get that though.

Daelon DuLac

Ah, that's another great one. It sees further, works for living, dead, and even dwarven constructs, and seems to last longer.
I could never get in to it. Frankly, I don't think my characters really care who they're killing or being forwarned. They're kind of reactionary!

MadHatter

Guy with a cool hat.
Unrelenting Force is by far the all around most used shout, even though I rarely ever use shouts... I need to use more of them... one of these days.... I just keep forgetting that I CAN shout in the heat of battle. Especially with characters like my latest... lvl 20 and still havent started Bleaks Fall Barrow yet.

But yeah... Unrelenting Force, compliments all playstyles at some point in time. Definitely the most useful.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Unrelenting force, to give me a bit of breathing space in a close up fight. Plus I like to mess up peoples houses if they piss me off and they are essentials. I just FRD their dining tables.. heh.
Drain vitality is another favourite.

Chadonraz

Become Ethereal, Ice Form and Unrelenting Force. With my current character, whose archery is a bit OP, my favourite strategy against stronger enemies like Forsworn Pillagers, Ravagers & Briarhearts is Fus Ro Dah + arrowhail. Works really well, especially since I'm using an Ancient Nord Bow with the Quick Shot perk. Almost instant "reload".

Also Cyclone, after I go to Solstheim and find it. That one is not only useful, but also a ton of fun. :D

seeker23

Looking for the Snitch in Skyrim...
Slow Time. Convenient when charging up Lightening Storm. I use that a lot after I acquire. And a lot of avenues and options open up during that slowed time.
Dragonrend and Bend will. They are cool but the only time I curse using Dragonrend is when the dragon lands over the next hill.
Fus Ro Dah and who doesn't like that.
Ah almost forgot soul tear. Gives you a filled gem as well as a thrall. Quite efficient I would say.

ShadowHunter

I have a few that I use quite a bit
-Unrelenting Force (it is funny seeing people fly across the room)
-Dragon Aspect
-Dragonrend
-Soul Tear
-Bend Will

Inquisitor Saken

polan can into space?
While it's too situational to be my favourite, I actually really like Elemental Fury on dual wielders. It sucks you can't have enchanted weapons with it, but I sometimes find the attack speed worth it. It looks really cool too.

Though my favourite would have to be Unrelenting Force. It just has so many uses both in and out of fights, and watching your follower fly around after they dared to stand in a doorway is great.

Rimfaxe96

Fus Ro Dah remains my favourite. Next one on the list would be fire breath shout and after that the shout to call Durnehviir, I just love that zombie lizard for some reason. The shout you learn from the Greybeards that makes you run with wind-speed over a short distance - I forgot the name >< - is awesome too.

JoeReese

Fus Ro Dah remains my favourite. Next one on the list would be fire breath shout and after that the shout to call Durnehviir, I just love that zombie lizard for some reason. The shout you learn from the Greybeards that makes you run with wind-speed over a short distance - I forgot the name >< - is awesome too.
That's whirlwind sprint, and I love <3 that for when I'm overencumbered.

Chadonraz

I only now found the usefulness of Aura Whisper. I was rescuing Thorald from Northwatch, and chose the sneaky route (I had chosen to go alone for that very reason). Aura Whisper was incredibly useful for finding out where the Thalmor were. Can't believe I'd never used that Shout before. <3

JoeReese

Yeah, it's a pretty awesome shout for stalking prey. With that shout and the 3x bow damage perk, you can really rule the enemy.

Of course "Must've been my imagination..." (with your arrow sticking out of their dead comrade's eye socket) helps a little. :D