Who are your favorite video game characters?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Nephor The Shadow Stalker

Strike swiftly and silently.
Welcome fellow gamers. What makes a good story? Let's see plot and characters. You can never have a successful story without either other wise it's confusing and pointless. These things are in all types of media and video games are no different. Casual or hardcore video games are played by all kinds and I'm here to ask what are your favorite video game characters? I'll start with my top 10 list.:)

10. Ezio from the Assassin's Creed series. I know the AC series is plagued with problems and plot holes but regardless Ezio is a full three dimensional character. He goes through so much and does so much that you can't help but feel for the guy.

9. Cole from Infamous. This guy is awesome. Good or evil he's still pretty cool. Infamous 1 had the greatest version of him and he left an impression on me. Infamous 2 his voice seemed like he got younger or whatever but still his quest for power for good or ill is an epic journey to behold.

8. Frank Jager/Grey Fox from Metal Gear. If you're a fan or not this guy is one of the most interesting characters in the series. I found his views on war fascinating and his casual acceptance of death very gripping. After his rebirth in Solid he got even more fascinating.

7. Leon Scott Kennedy from Resident Evil. Got a biohazard? Call this guy. He's probably gone through the most transformation out of all the characters and his was for the better. He's a good guy fighting the good fight.

6. Imoen from Baldur's Gate. This girl is the definition of true friendship. Good or evil she'll stick by you cause that's what friends do.

5. Rose from Legend of the Dragoon. This chick kicks arse. Mysterious and beautiful she's quick a little cold and deadly.

4. Cecil from Final Fantasy 4. Final Fantasy has been on a steady down hill slope for quite some time. Luckily before the snooze fest we had this title with one of the coolest story lines ever. He does everything for his king and kingdom. What happens when he's betrayed? The ultimate tale of redemption!

3. Nameless One from Torment. Waking up in a mortuary and having no memory of your past can give you quite the motivation to discover who you really are.

2. Kain and Raziel from The Legacy of Kain series. What's that 2 characters in one number? It's my list so I do what I want.:D These guys are the true definition of gray area. They've muddled with time fought epic enemies and in the end decide it was all for the wrong reasons.

1. Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7. This is my #1 favorite video game character. I'm not talking about his Dissidia appearance but the trilogy of FF7. Cold and determined it's hard not to appreciate good bad guys considering he's the only that actually tried to destroy a planet to get what he wants. If you love him or hate him there's no doubt he left a lasting impression on gamers and nerds everywhere.

That's my list. I know some are a little vague but if you're truly interested please feel free to ask or play the games yourself. If you have a list please do post. I'd love to hear from others and hopefully hear about other great games I've never played.;)

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
Joel, from The Last of Us.

[NO SPOILERS]

From start to finish, the game does an amazing job of showing how he became the person you know while playing. You get a feel for the types of decisions he would make, and why, and the better you understand him, the more the end of the game makes perfect sense, and should never be any other way.

Joel is a fully realized, three-dimensional person, with virtues and flaws (so many flaws), and you end up both feeling for him and his plight, and feeling what he feels toward the people and situations around him.

Joel is definitely my favorite.

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
1. Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7. This is my #1 favorite video game character. I'm not talking about his Dissidia appearance but the trilogy of FF7. Cold and determined it's hard not to appreciate good bad guys considering he's the only that actually tried to destroy a planet to get what he wants. If you love him or hate him there's no doubt he left a lasting impression on gamers and nerds everywhere.

I have to agree with Sephiroth in FF7 - and now you've got me thinking about a lot of others.

Initial thoughts:

Aya Brea from Parasite Eve - Excellent story

Gabe Logan from Syphon Filter - Cool character and I liked the first game the best.

Yoshimitsu from Tekken 2 - Just for his exclamation after his finishing move sounding like a profanity ...... Whaaaa Daaaa F****r

More to come I think

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Solid Snake from the MGS series.
hqdefault.jpg

John Marston from Read Dead Redemption.
Rdr_john_marston.jpg

Nina Williams from Tekken.
tumblr_m7l2f2k7HQ1qmcqv4o1_250.jpg

and Kuniochi from Samurai Warriors.
Kunoichi-samurai-warriors-24547740-259-300.jpg

Phantom

Uh, I didn't do it
First I would say I would put Commander Shepard on here, but he/she isn't really a character. They are you. They are just as much a character as the Dragonborn, and they can be ANYONE. Even though I normally play a Paragade femshep, doesn't mean everyone else has the same experience. This goes for all main characters, the Dragonborn, the Warden, Hawke, Shepard...

So I will pick a few that come to mind, in no real order.

Dr. Liara T'Soni, Mass Effect series
liara_t__soni_23_by_johntesh-d4u3rfz.jpg

One of the best character evolutions I've ever seen. Over the span of the series you watch her grow from basically a naïve nerd into a influential powerhouse. She takes about four to five levels in badass in a span of two years game time. Six when the end game happened. Yeah.

Grey Fox, Metal Gear Solid
mgs-grayfox.jpg

If you've played the game, you'll know why.

The Illusive Man, Mass Effect series
The_Illusive_Man_01_by_johntesh.jpg

I love complicated bad guys. And this guy, is one of the best bad guys. For a small while you even (Spoiler) Work for him. Some people still stand by his beliefs. He had the best intentions, but how he tried to accomplish his goals...

The Outsider, Dishonored
Couldn't find a good pic, but I love this guy. He gives no fluffs about anything. Just keeps throwing magic into already boiling kettles and giggling at the chemical reaction. It's fluffing hilarious.

Enzio Auditore, Assassin's Creed series
ac2r.jpg

Do I need to explain?

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I can't possibly name all of my favorite gaming characters. I'll just start with a few.

Tali'Zorah - Mass Effect Series
tali-zorah.png

Vamp - Metal Gear Solid Series
Vampju0.png

Psycho Mantis - Metal Gear Solid Series

Psycho_Mantis_II_by_arok318.jpg

Batman - Batman Arkham Series

BatmanArkhamOriginsHeader.jpg

Leon Kennedy - Resdient Evil Series

images

The Boss - Metal Gear Solid Series
mgs3-boss-cobra-unit.gif

Garrus Vakarian - Mass Effect Series

garrus_me3_desktop_wallpaper_by_efleck-d4egjl7.jpg

Samus Aran - Metroid Series

Samus_Aran_Metroid_Other_M.png

Super Mario Bros - Super Mario Bros. Series

The-Mario-Bros-mario-and-luigi-9298164-1955-2560.jpg

Big Boss - Metal Gear Solid Series

20090301210209Big_Boss_MGS4.jpg

A very Metal Gear favored list. I just love that series too much for it not to populate this list.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
One more I wanted to add.

Dracula/Gabriel Belmont - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Series
GabrielDraculaBox.png

WarriorMage

Hey! Someone stole my sweet roll!
Lara Croft from The Birth of a Legend. I really like the way they developed the character. She wasn't the confident, kick butt, adventurer from the other stories. Both the games and the movies.

lara-croft-tomb-raider-14989-1680x1050.jpg

Bloodrayne. At least half of which just for her voice.

bloodrayne.jpg

Nephor The Shadow Stalker

Strike swiftly and silently.
Thank you all for your posts and some pretty kick ass characters to boot.

Zack Fair from Crisis Core Final Fantasy 7. For those of you that don't own a psp and probably won't I just gotta say you're missing out on one helluva ride with this character. Unlike Cloud (who's cool in his own right) Zack is 100% awesome. One of my most treasured games cause it has Sephiroth before he went nuts.

Duncan from Dragon Age Origins. This guy is just so awesome and really laid back. An inspiration to become a Gray Warden to me and a positive role model for great characters.

Umah from Blood Omen 2. If there was ever a mold for awesome sexy vampire women she was the one that it was made from.

JoeReese

Lara Croft from The Birth of a Legend. I really like the way they developed the character. She wasn't the confident, kick butt, adventurer from the other stories. Both the games and the movies.

lara-croft-tomb-raider-14989-1680x1050.jpg

bloodrayne.jpg
Interesting...is she voiced by Kristanna Loken?

WarriorMage

Hey! Someone stole my sweet roll!

Interesting...is she voiced by Kristanna Loken?

No. She's voiced by Laura Bailey. Kristanna Loken played her in the first movie.

And I agree with Dirk the Daring. That was a great game. I could never get the PC version to work on my computer.