Why did skyrim automatically change my name? please help

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
So i just bought skyrim and i'm lovin it. BUT I just realized that my players name is not what I named him:

I named my character: Lætífícµß
exactly like that with the accents where they are but when I checked my character's name his name is: 'as it was said it was a curse laid upon the ancient Companions..'

wtf I've searched the internet and I can't even find mention of that sentende, does the game think i was trying to swear? or what?

NeoRoman

This is for custom titles?
Have you tried naming your character without using odd letters? Maybe the game doesn't recognize the characters and replaces it with a silly alternative name.

Merged duplicate threads.

ya sorry i put it both for a better chance at getting an answer

i find it hard to believe you could even have a name that long...

It's really inconvenient actually in my inventory screen the letters are so small I can't even read it. I had to wait until someone sent goons after me and i read their orders to find out what it said

thats a sentence from the game referring to an ability of one of the guilds

which guild is this? i searched the internet an literally got 0 results

Have you tried naming your character without using odd letters? Maybe the game doesn't recognize the characters and replaces it with a silly alternative name.

No I haven't, but i wonder why they would give you the option if the game couldn't read them. Also this was my characters name in oblivion as well and it worked. But I will try

perkecet

which guild is this? i searched the internet an literally got 0 result

No I haven't, but i wonder why they would give you the option if the game couldn't read them. Also this was my characters name in oblivion as well and it worked. But I will try

...the companions...

i don't see the big deal, names mean absolutely nothing in elder scrolls games.
True, it's just so bizarre that the game would do something like that, and I'm curious why. I was also curious as to why I couldn't find any cases of this happening to anybody else on the entire internet.

Just found out that the game doesn't care about swearing in the name as I just named a new character f***f A** B***h and it let it pass through as exactly that

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well since Skyrim isn't multiplayer, I don't see why they'd bother with any censoring code.

I think the problem might have been the 'µ' symbol. I just made like 3 different new characters with new names and all of the characters names come up as I made them, except now when i try to include the weird u it just pops up another text box with "prisoner" in it and it prompts me for a new name!
not sure if it does this because it can't handle the symbol or if it would be a duplicate name.

I'm not even sure if skyrim lets you have 2 characters with the same name or if it's fine

Any way that someone could try making a character with the weird 'u' and test this out? it could just be a bizarre glitch that only happens once in a blue moon

Renji

NeoRoman is right i tried typing that name in and it switched those weird letters around and turned it into this: LZtIffIcMS

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts