Why is it Dishonorable to lose to an Orc?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Osiris

Child of the Sky
I was playing skyrim the other day with my Orc, Kazaar gro-Kush, and i read a book called Orsinium and the Orcs. Well anyway it the book, it says that the Breton that lost to Gortwog was glad that nobody was there to see him be defeated by an Orc. Why would it be an embarrassment to lose in combat to an Orc? Orcs are very strong warriors, I think it would be considered a big accomplishment to defeat an Orc under the circumstances described in the book. Thoughts?

Xarnac

Because that is how Orsinium passed to Orcs. Or so it is said. While that book paints a different light on the situation. You have to know Orc racial standing and Breton customs. Some/Most Breton nobility see themselves in a similar light as all elitist elves do. To lose Breton land to, of all persons, an Orc is very shameful. Though again, How Orsinium passed to Orcs gives another interpretation entirely. In it, Bowyn accepts defeat honorably in a way. Orsimer propaganda, poetic licence, who knows?

Hunfar

Either the Breton was prejudiced against Orcs or a lot/most/all/ Breton's are. Customs would explain why but that's probably the basic answer.