• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I had an Aesop's fable-type of moment just outside Riften, y'know those animal fables like the one with the cock, ass and ram.. and no I'm not using bad language, one of the fables actually has that name. :D

It all began when wily brother fox was chasing a cowardly chicken, eventually catching and killing it. Then two cunning wolves came out of the bushes and one of them chased wily brother fox, eventually killing it. The other cunning wolf chased a second chicken, but failed to kill it because I barbequed them both with the flame shout (I was aiming at the wolf only but the chicken got into my line of fire). What is the moral of this fable, you ask? I'm afraid I haven't figured it out yet. :)

No moral. Just roast chicken for dinner.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
I managed to narrow down the list of suspects and restored a certain ini parameter to its original form. That did the trick, no more incorporeal dragons or flying mammoths!

Can you remember which parameter that was? cheers

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
I hear that, DdraigGwyn! :D KFC in Skyrim.

Skullrattla, it was fshadowlodstartfade. I read somewhere on the internets that it's supposed to increase shadow draw distance and quality outdoors, but a higher value demands more vram (or just ram, can't remember which) and can cause instability at higher settings. The default is 200, and I cranked it up to 1000. No noticeable difference in shadow quality, but my game did start glitching and stuttering badly, so I changed it back to 200 and all was well again.

brandon

Happened to me recently, one of those I hate this game moments.... Maybe it has to do with you doing the bidding of Daedras and they somehow know. Maybe having a daedric artifact in your possession triggers them?

They are Anti-Daedra fanatics, quite clearly based on medieval Jesuits or other hardcore Christian warrior monks.
ive never been attacked by the vigilents. im wearing the ebony mail armor and i carry the mace of molag bal from time to time. but right now im carrying a deadric war axe and the nightengale blade. and im a werewolf. even when i was a vampire ive never had them attack me.

Necromis

This was a while ago so I don't remember exactly what barrow or ruin it was. Anyways there was this one barrow I was using as a fast travel point that had respawned with a mage and some bandits. When they saw me pop in they attacked and I shot the mage first with my bow killing him. That is whey the strange thing happened, he hit the ground dead, then the others took a couple running steps towards me and they ALL fell over dead. So I went from the standard sniper one shot one kill to one shot FIVE killed. :D

VolenKiller

The Idealist
When I was doing the Daedric Shrine quest for Azura to retrieve the Star I was killing this lone dark elf mage... It sounded like a girl, grunted like a girl when it died, had pigtails, and when i took his/her robe of (needed to extra money) it was a "man" . or a flat chested girl with a hairy chest. I've been meaning to post a picture of it -

Attachments

• IMG_20120128_153434.jpg
    IMG_20120128_153434.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
Happened to me recently, one of those I hate this game moments.... Maybe it has to do with you doing the bidding of Daedras and they somehow know. Maybe having a daedric artifact in your possession triggers them?

They are Anti-Daedra fanatics, quite clearly based on medieval Jesuits or other hardcore Christian warrior monks.
The only Daedric quest I have completed was Sheogorath's quest with this character. For my highest leveled character, I've completed them all and not once have I been assaulted by a Vigilant and have been charged 1000 septims for defending myself. I have to say that maybe my Conjuration skill of 100 was the answer behind it as Conjurers can summon Daedra and make them do their bidding. Not only that, but it was the first character I made that I actually tried concentrating on Conjuration as a major skill.

Skky

(spoilers) I was doing the thief storyline quest where I have to break into Mercer's house. Vex warns you about Vald and gives you a bunch of options to deal with him including going to Maven Black-Brier to deal with his debt. I was kinda getting sick of Maven so decided to at least go scope out the place and see my options. As I was going to the back of the house there was an Imperial guard walking towards me (I think because I recently held the grey-beard's negotiation and gave Riften to them, can't remember if they were there before.) I pass him right as we're going by the back gate to Riftweald Manor and he stops to start talking to me about whatever the recent news is. Suddenly someone yells 'hey' and I look and see Vald throw open the gate. He doesn't even get to take another step before the Imperial turns, whips out his weapon, and chops him down with two hits. (I don't even think Vald had a weapon drawn) The guard then sheathes his weapon and walks away as I stand there for a while longer stunned. In the end, found another rather easy way of dealing with Vald.

Second Strange occurrence/advice warning: Don't test J'zargo's fire scroll in a small area with a fighting companion with you. Because of the swirling fire around me I had to run away from my companion so he wouldn't hurt himself, but got trapped in a hallway, he hurt himself, and then gets mad about it and starts attacking me. -_- ugh.

brandon

(spoilers)
Second Strange occurrence/advice warning: Don't test J'zargo's fire scroll in a small area with a fighting companion with you. Because of the swirling fire around me I had to run away from my companion so he wouldn't hurt himself, but got trapped in a hallway, he hurt himself, and then gets mad about it and starts attacking me. -_- ugh.
yeah that was supposed to happen next time you talked to j'zargo you ask him if hes trying to kill you.

Thomas Liu

tyl089
trying to kill a bandit marauder with a bow and arrow on a low level and seeing said marauder charging at you with arrows sticking out of his face, chest, belly, and eye ball. Then seeing same marauder decapitate you with one stroke of his great sword.

Shooting the battle mage at Japhet's folly while he is charging up his shock attack, and seeing the arrow hit him in the chest, and his electric attack bounce back on him and he flying around bouncing off the walls like a big rubber ball in plate armor.

using dragon shout to free Lydia and Mjoll because they both somehow got stuck partly inside a rock.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Monolith, thanks.

I've come across lots of weirdness because of the game's poor AI...
This isn't the strangest thing probably, but It's the most interesting. I was in a boss fight in a dungeon, maybe Volungur or wtv, I was face-to-face with one of the boss's ghost thralls that take several blasts of magic to kill, i was fumbling with my hotkeys as usual , and because of the INEXCUSABLE way the hotkeys work, if you press a hotkey twice (easily done in hectic combat) you UNEQUIP your weapon or spell and end up with bare fists. So I did just that , i play a Ghaijiit mage, and I killed the thrall (full health) with one punch. Level 30, no bare-handed perks.

I wonder if Ghaijiits can kill undead easy with bare hands?

We all know that glitches has something to do with a piece of coding that went wrong, so we can figure out what it leads from. Infinite care packages in CoD means the coding for your kill streak went wrong.

So that makes me think, what piece of coding went wrong to make an old lady fly through the air, start talking to me, stop, and then descend through the ground?

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
I have a new strange experience to add.

I was traveling to Markarth on foot. All of a sudden, everything starts shaking as if a dragon landed and the battle music starts playing. The funny thing is, I have not even started the quest that you receive right after Unbound. Therefore, that eliminates any possibility of dragon encounters. Also, there were no enemies to be found. It makes me wonder if Alduin is creeping on me(while possibly invisible?) every now and then because of the fact that I really don't feel like completing the main quest for a third time.

Quanah

Bosmer Shadowscale
I went to Darkwater Crossing to recruit Derkeethus into the Dark Brotherhood when Skjor shows up half body ballerina stance in the ground just moving along like a fish on land.

Needless to say, nothing surprises me in Skyrim. It all seems normal now.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
We all know that glitches has something to do with a piece of coding that went wrong, so we can figure out what it leads from. Infinite care packages in CoD means the coding for your kill streak went wrong.

So that makes me think, what piece of coding went wrong to make an old lady fly through the air, start talking to me, stop, and then descend through the ground?

I saw somebody in these forums somewhere explaining this common occurrence. It's another bug in the game engine. All the NPC and creature's positions in the game cells loaded in your RAM are calculated using some sort of world center reference point instead of local reference points. So it goes wrong keeping track of so many moving things' accurate position, I guess because of "optimized" code to reduce CPU useage.

I think they've coded it so that all characters and creatures are always spawned at a small distance above ground to avoid them getting stuck, (that's why when characters spawn in an area they appear to land on the ground) and this small distance is sometimes wrongly calculated for NPCs and creatures - and gravity is VERY slow buggy in the game- or is it my slow computer? Whenever a non-fighting or dead character falls off a high point , they always seem to fall in slow motion.

Necromis

Ya know I had something happen last night that was rather interesting, not sure if it is a glitch or not, but anyhow after I had joined the nightengales and was leaving there to head off to kill mercer I ran into 3 major enemy encounters all in one spot. First 2 trolls, then wolves and then some bandits. No I am not saying they were bad to beat, just I have never ran into something like that happen as I wasn't interested in fighting them just wanted to move on to the next stage in the quest and it was like bam, run, bam, run, bam. I dunno, it was just strange like I was being homed in on for encounters.