• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

trenzalore

I'll dip my cookies in your tears.
So I've decided to play skyrim from a more ... merchants point of view. I I've enabled frostfall (cold effects) and since I'm currently in dawnstar, things are troublesome. I've also said no fast travelling, no fighting at all, just a merchants life.

So, what are your experiences of a non combat gameplay?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note III on Tapatalk

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
I've got a game going with illusion, restoration and sneak as my way of getting through dungeons, but I lost interest because I can't think of a valid objective to aim for. I considered collecting the stones of Barenziah but I'm pretty sure you can't get into the arch mage's room without clearing Saarthal, which involves killing that final boss.

And other than that I couldn't think of a fun objective to aim for. It's a shame because it's fun getting through draugr crypts with stealth and occasional turn undead spells

ciphoenix

Merchants usually don't travel alone. Consist hiring a mercenary to do any fighting that may pop up

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
Yep I played an illusionist for a while; I had her whole back story made up as to why she couldn't kill people and all that. It's really fun... until you get into a final room alone after a crypt and have a boss that you MUST kill, with no traps or anything around in site.

So... then I turned to conjuration and had atronaches murder everything for me, and it was actually a lot of fun playing this way! Until levels later... I checked my stats to make sure I didn't kill anyone... well what do you know? If your atronach kills something, it counts. I had no clue of this. I was very upset. But illusion was still fun.

Pendalyn

Very Dangerous Nobody
Have you ever sat there and watched how long it takes a group of guards to kill a dragon? FOREVER. May be just run away after the intro and steal your way into money, and then just buy stuff and find places where you can sell it for more, and gather things to smith and alchemize (is that a word?). Would be interesting to see if a character could get through quest lines without violence. May be you could just get really good at calm spells.

Besides, don't you have to step on a few necks to get ahead in the world of business? To get a place to put all that money to use, you have to get housing, unless your goal is simply to make a million septims and call it quits. Housing means questing, so you can purchase houses...

Clau

The Fateless One
I tried a peaceful immersion with Skyrim last year with an Alchemist build. Now it was a huge change where I was struggling to cope at the thought of where to get money, given that the sellsword way is not an option. Found out that alchemy can give you a whole of gold in just a matter of days.

The fun part was traveling from one hold to the other without fighting or dying. Sabercats and Vampires I found troublesome. So when situation permits, I would tag along a group of Khajiits, Thalmor, Imperials or Stormcloaks.

trenzalore

I have to say that alchemy (for the first time in a TES game) has actually provided for me. I've basically circled the map several times on my horse to sell my potions, and I've got a tonne of money. I'm just about to go and buy some land and get a house.

Clau

The Fateless One
I have to say that alchemy (for the first time in a TES game) has actually provided for me. I've basically circled the map several times on my horse to sell my potions, and I've got a tonne of money. I'm just about to go and buy some land and get a house.

Awesome.

For my part, Alchemy and Speech were my two perks with an alchemist build.

trenzalore

Awesome.

I'm the same. But I'm using the skyrim redone mod so my wayfarer skill (camping, fires etc) is rising since I'm playing in the mountains

It's actually a pretty nice change to sniping everything

Clau

The Fateless One
Awesome.

I'm the same. But I'm using the skyrim redone mod so my wayfarer skill (camping, fires etc) is rising since I'm playing in the mountains

It's actually a pretty nice change to sniping everything

I haven't tried that mod before but would do so this weekend. I think I'll mix it with the Alternate start mod to roll another alchemist.

But yes, I agree on the change of Skyrim experience, made me enjoy a bit more the wilderness and scenery unlike when I was always running from hold to hold chasing bounty.

trenzalore

I haven't tried that mod before but would do so this weekend. I think I'll mix it with the Alternate start mod to roll another alchemist.

But yes, I agree on the change of Skyrim experience, made me enjoy a bit more the wilderness and scenery unlike when I was always running from hold to hold chasing bounty.

You should get the redone mod and frostfall (it adds weather into the equation, so that If you're cold, you put on fur cloaks and clothes, or rain, then leather etc, it's brilliant.)

I've not done bounties, I haven't even gotten further in the story than high hrothgar, but I prefer this more. It's fun trying to outrun and out manoeuvre wolves and the like. But it's made me realise just how small the skyrim map is :p

Clau

The Fateless One

You should get the redone mod and frostfall (it adds weather into the equation, so that If you're cold, you put on fur cloaks and clothes, or rain, then leather etc, it's brilliant.)

I've not done bounties, I haven't even gotten further in the story than high hrothgar, but I prefer this more. It's fun trying to outrun and out manoeuvre wolves and the like. But it's made me realise just how small the skyrim map is :p

Thanks! This will help much more on immersion.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts