• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
If you have the Transmute spell, change iron ore to gold, then make rings. Without transmute, hunt/buy gold ore or ingots and make rings. Once you get to level 30 start visiting Dwemer ruins to collect items that can be smelted to Dwemer metal, then make Dwarven bows. This is usually enough to get me to 60+.

Thelastskill3r

PSN: TheLastSkill3r
If you have the Transmute spell, change iron ore to gold, then make rings. Without transmute, hunt/buy gold ore or ingots and make rings. Once you get to level 30 start visiting Dwemer ruins to collect items that can be smelted to Dwemer metal, then make Dwarven bows. This is usually enough to get me to 60+.
Thanks ill try this

Adam Warlock

Once your character passes level 14 , the Unfathomable Depths quest becomes available.
While the Ancient Knowledge power that is the reward is bugged and doesn`t operate as described , it can still benefit you.
First , it grants you 25% bonus for wearing any armor EXCEPT Dwarven(go figure)
Second , it increases your effective smithing skill by 15% when tempering weapons or armor. This results in higher values from tempering and therefore better skill gains.
Temper those Dwarven Bows you`ve made in this way to boost leveling.
Wearing the Notched Pickaxe gives you another 5% smithing skill boost
If you have Dragonborn DLC , The Secret of Might power obtained from the Black Book: The Sallow Regent grants a 10% boost in combat skills (which includes smithing)

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
Yea, find the transmute spell book in halted stream camp, just north of Whiterun

For making rings it's best to use silver when you have a load of gems, because silver rings can use more types of gemstones than gold rings so (if you make something like a silver garnet ring) the smithing experience will be higher. The annoying thing is transmute will automatically turn any silver ore to gold, but I think I figured the fastest way to prevent that. Use transmute on an iron ore, then go to your misc items and drop the silver ore on the ground in front of you. Then keep repeating this process so as many of your iron ores become silver as you want. I'll often stand next to a smelter making a pile of silver ores until I have enough to craft some jeweled silver rings/necklances, then with any leftover iron ores I'll just transmute them all the way up to gold and make gold rings out of them.

This is still a slower way of leveling smithing than the old iron dagger trick, so smithing is a skill I'll often train. The benefit there is that (with the level 50 speech perk) you can spend as much as you like on smithing training and then just sell all of your expensive potions and enchanted items to Eorland or the guy in Riften and get all of your money back (and get some speech leveling at the same time). If you don't have 50 speech and the perk you could just make banish enchanted iron daggers and sell those.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
If transmute isn't the way you want to go, I just collect all the hides, pelts and leather I can get my hands on and create leather helmets (so many helmets!). It ups smithing quickly and you get a bunch of helmets to sell that'll make you at least 20 each even at low levels with no speech perks.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
I'm surprised no one else except Daelon mentioned leather. I can collect better than 100 leather on one little jaunt from Riften to Ivarstead and up my smithing skill considerably with that.

I throw all my pelts in a chest until I'm ready to deal with them, and do it all at once. Animals come at you all the time. You can smith 100 pieces of leather about every 2-4 game days if you walk places.

Also, make half the number of items, and then improve them. Both help the smithing skill and you wind up with half as many as you would if you just created them.

In sum:

Jewelry
Leather
Dwarven

The first two can get you to 100 without using any perks. Dwarven will get you there quicker and requires 2 perks. Which means you can also smith steel, but I never bother doing that.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
PS, since I live at Lakeview Manor, when I get too much stuff, I go dump it in Pinewatch. hehehehe

Daelon DuLac

PS, since I live at Lakeview Manor, when I get too much stuff, I go dump it in Pinewatch. hehehehe
After you've cleared it I'm guessing. That dude in the basement doesn't like me very much. :)

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
The easiest way is to cheat and Fortify Restoration loop until you can make uber Smithing potion that fortifies 1,000,000%. Drink potion, improve an iron dagger and BAM... 100 Smithing. That's the 'easiest' way...

Agentoringe

Lotus is right about it being the easiest way to level smithing in one go, but for the purists or ppl avoiding exploits, jewelry is a decent method to use, me personally, I make arrows...the smithing skill increase is based off of the value of the item you create, so yes, a "silver garnet ring" will net you a good chunk of xp, most often a level, but the problem is, the plain silver and gold jewelry just isn't that expensive so it can take AWHILE to level by making just jewelry, however, when you make arrows, the value of the arrow is multiplied by 24 to get your total value of the xp gain when you make them...typically, when I start a new character, the leather I collect in the houses (stealing etc) and on the way to river wood will get me within 2-3 smithing levels from 30, then After selling what I've made+what I've collected I have around 1400g at level 3 right after I get to river wood.

If you want some speed leveling real fast do the quest for faendal and choose to lie so he becomes a follower, then use your money (after he's following you) to train archery off of him, if you have at least over 25% level gained+warrior stone+sleeping 8 hours at hod and gerders you should level up everytime you train with him until you reach skill level 50. Then leave him there and move on to buying ingots and making arrows lol

That's just til skill level 30, then get dwarven smithing perk and take about an hour long trip to alftand (with a follower) and the alftand ruined tower, if you took the time to do the leveling w faendal and your careful, alftand should be a decent challenge but definitely passable...collect every piece of dwarven metal you and your follower can, then once you get to the lift and can get out, travel back, convert to ingots, find a safe place to store said ingots (faendal's house chests are a good spot) then make however many trips are needed to collect the rest of the dwarven metal you couldn't carry, typically I net around 275-325 ingots off of a clear of both towers, which translates into ALOT of firewood and arrows at 96xp per craft, which yes is less xp than a dwarven bow, but the sheer number of arrows you make will more than make up the difference in cost lol it usually takes between 6-8 Ingots per smithing level, until you get above 70 then it spreads out a bit more, but that little trip there has gotten me nearly to 80 smithing within a few hours of beginning a new character, plus selling the arrows (or bows if you want to make as many of those as you can first) to acquire more crafting material from the shops etc. just stay on task and it shouldn't take long to get your smithing where you want it lol not to mention that there are PLENTY of dwarven ruins to explore for TONS of ingots should you want to continue this method to 100 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agintoringe lays out a good plan. I would add that I often repeat one part of this plan. Once Smithing reaches a high level (Glass or Ebony) I dtart making arrows again, Not only does this increase Smithing, but it gives you a huge number of arrows. Since these weigh nothing you have thme to use, or sell if you need money. In addition, gear and potions with Smithing enchantments will speed eveything up.

Twiffle

Well you knew i'd be along eventually, ;)

Some may laugh or scoff, but alchemy is truly a powerful way of upping smithing, just make a load of stuff, anything really and with a powerful potion of smithing and some enchanted gear, doesnt have to be the best it just helps, then with all those just improve the items you have made.
It works like this : you make an item worth (eg) 50 gold, therefore you get that corresponding XP. then when you improve it with a potion and some cheap smithing gear its value goes from 50 to 150 you get double the XP based on the 100 gold improvement,, shimples. Remember the potions and smithing gear doesnt work while crafting only when improving.

Twiffle

OH sorry forgot to say. I have found that if you collect as many iron ingots and leather strips then make Iron armor, then improve that armor with the potion and smithing gear its quicker than leather smithing and almost as quick as dwarven in the early stages, get you to 40 in no time at all... .. .. .. (tested too)

Agentoringe

Yeah, I agree with Twiffle...AFTER you've gotten closer to 80 SL...before then, the time it will take to gather ingredients, find a vendor that drops a smithing enchant item to disenchant, then get your enchanting high enough that the enchants will make a noticeable difference, let along coming up with the cash to fund this side adventure not to mention buying soul stones of the appropriate quality, you could have already had smithing to 80 and been working on 90-100 pretty easily...depends on how "adventurous" you want to be, but I know for sure that the method I outlined above can roll 15-80 within an hour and a half-2 hours easily without much deviation lol nothing against Twiffle at all, bc it's good advice, but more attuned to mid-late game building on smithing as a backup and not a primary skill used by the player

Twiffle

I too agree with Agentoringe, the only thing i will comment on is that sometimes it does just depend on the direction you are taking your character in, either in conjunction with alchemy, enchanting or as a stand alone skill, but it does take a little dedication with great rewards.

Nighthiker77

I carry a pickaxe all the time, mine everything I see, kill everything I can get a hide from, and buy all the iron ore I see for sale too. If you are transmuting, that really speeds things up.

If I'm not transmuting, I buy every iron ingot and pick up every ingot I see. I like making arrows too. I wouldn't buy anything higher than steel ingots for leveling purposes.

I don't usually use the dwemer metal because I prefer light armor, but it works great if you want to use the perk.

Combining mining, hunting, transmuting, dwemer scrapping, and buying materials too, in any combination, makes it feel less monotonous and more enjoyable.

Daelon DuLac

The easiest way is to cheat and Fortify Restoration loop until you can make uber Smithing potion that fortifies 1,000,000%. Drink potion, improve an iron dagger and BAM... 100 Smithing. That's the 'easiest' way...
IMO that is also cheating. Sorry, I know it's a usable glitch, but I find it hard to believe that the designers actually intended that result. Of course... it would be really cool to have an iron dagger that I could one-shot a dragon with. :)

Agentoringe

IMO that is also cheating. Sorry, I know it's a usable glitch, but I find it hard to believe that the designers actually intended that result. Of course... it would be really cool to have an iron dagger that I could one-shot a dragon with. :)

Use the same method but use it to make a poison instead, then go one shot a dragon with a fork. :) haha OH, and you can one shot a dragon with a dagger, normal means...no loops or restoration glitches, just using pure old order of application :)

To do it you need the dark brotherhood armor from hags end (just use the ritual stone behind the throne the second time you fight the hag raven then walk back outside) the gloves in particular...they just double sneak attack damage with one handed weapons. Then get the perk in sneak tree that makes daggers do 15x sneak attack, the other perk that says walking and running don't effect detection, then the perk in the one handed tree that allows you to do a sprinting power attack for double damage. :) in case you haven't already done the math...15x-doubled by gloves to 30x, doubled again by the running power attack to 60x, and activate berserker rage for double damage making it 120x hee hee >:) with that setup you would only need a weapon to deal 12.5 damage to kill a legendary dragon with 1500 health. haha and yeah, I've tested it out, it's hilarious.

Agentoringe

*AAAAND if you happen to have the dual savagery perk and are holding 2 weapons when you attack it would only take a weapon that deals 8.4 damage to kill said dragon. :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts