• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Being Overpowered is no fun

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Murt

No, of course thats not an exploit, thats just a game mechanic, an exploited potion is when u loop fortify restoration potions over and over untill its in the billions numbers. But i have used the method at much lower numbers to enchant health on robes because they have no armor rating and i like wearing them, so i'll exploit enchant a little when i wanna wear robes just so everything won't kill me in 1 hit, then its the same as wearing daedric armor just wearing robes instead, that i do not consider cheating cuz u can still die very easily if u don't keep your head about u.

Well I play on xbox so I can't do that :p
I once had an extremely over powered VL mod, could 1 shot 10 Legendary Dragons in a 100 foot radius in 3 seconds, now i on the other hand like having the sense and feeling that i could vaporize the little bandits who act so tough on a whim but that mod was 2 overpowered even for me

I haven't come across a legendary dragon as of yet is that dlc or will they just randomly spawn at level 78(according to wiki)

My favourite way to play is when my Dragonborn is around level 20, I can kill most bandits in one hit, bears and sabre cats are tough fights that require well timed shield bashing, and anything above blood dragons are desperate fights for survival.

I find this is a good balance, but as some people have already said, the odd overpowered NPC can sort of spoil it. Most bandit chiefs can hit me once, and regardless of whether I blocked or not, the next swing initiates a killcam.

And don't even get me started on those damn mages...

Yes I have to say starting a new character and playing through the start is probably my favorite part of the game, its a shame every time you start a new game you have to si on that horse drawn cart for what seems like 20 minutes

Dawn

Bandit Chiefs (with 2H weapons) and mages can be stupid OP, especially on higher difficulties. I totally agree it is immersion breaking to run through a zone and kill about everything in one power attack / sneak or a couple of normal hits, then reach a mob that can one shot you with a cheap kill cam move (even though you wouldn't die based on block or armor).

I have started modding my game trying to find a better balance (besides setting rules and limits for myself like others have posted).

So far I have removed all kill cams (not taking block and armor / mitigation into account is BS, and a bug IMO - as is getting stuck in slow motion ranged cams, particularly when using a crossbow ), increased the difficulty of dragons (they were a big disappointment on vanilla), and played with several balance mods (though I've not found one to keep as usually they change more of the game than I like).

I'd love to see a mod that upped the difficulty of normal mobs so that a few together would be challenging, while tweaking some of the OP outliers such that they are still deadly, just not so far out of range from norms that you end up overpowered to most of the game just to survive those few occurrences.

Oh and to skip the horse cart, just make a save (I think it does automatically on PC version) right before you are asked your name and put into the character creation screen. Then you can just load up that save, create your new character, and continue on (though still have to wait through the chopping block scene).

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
No, of course thats not an exploit, thats just a game mechanic, an exploited potion is when u loop fortify restoration potions over and over untill its in the billions numbers. But i have used the method at much lower numbers to enchant health on robes because they have no armor rating and i like wearing them, so i'll exploit enchant a little when i wanna wear robes just so everything won't kill me in 1 hit, then its the same as wearing daedric armor just wearing robes instead, that i do not consider cheating cuz u can still die very easily if u don't keep your head about u.

I once had an extremely over powered VL mod, could 1 shot 10 Legendary Dragons in a 100 foot radius in 3 seconds, now i on the other hand like having the sense and feeling that i could vaporize the little bandits who act so tough on a whim but that mod was 2 overpowered even for me

I haven't come across a legendary dragon as of yet is that dlc or will they just randomly spawn at level 78(according to wiki)

My favourite way to play is when my Dragonborn is around level 20, I can kill most bandits in one hit, bears and sabre cats are tough fights that require well timed shield bashing, and anything above blood dragons are desperate fights for survival.

I find this is a good balance, but as some people have already said, the odd overpowered NPC can sort of spoil it. Most bandit chiefs can hit me once, and regardless of whether I blocked or not, the next swing initiates a killcam.

Yes I have to say starting a new character and playing through the start is probably my favorite part of the game, its a shame every time you start a new game you have to si on that horse drawn cart for what seems like 20 minutes
Yes u can dude, i'm on xbox, lol all u need is decent level alchemy and enchanting, a few items with fortify alchemy enchanted on them and a bunch of abeacan longfin's and salt pile's, then all u do is equip the items, make a restoration potion, unequip the items, drink the restoration potion, equip the items, rinse and repeat. Its very simple to do.

Murt

I'd love to see a mod that upped the difficulty of normal mobs so that a few together would be challenging,
on master/legendary difficulty Falmer seem to be a pain in the ass in groups of 3 or more, just an example but I was doing the thieves guild part where you go through dwemer ruins to fight mercer and obtain the skeleton key, I bumped into some falmer right beside a dormant master centurion so I woke up the centurion and ran away and the 3 falmer absolutely destroyed it in what felt like 6-7 seconds :L

could have been more but it was faster than I could kill one(not using a one-handed weapon) but I'm not sure if there are different levels of falmer just like there a different levels of every other enemy like deathlord and death overord(draugr) they were shadow something or other if that means anything to anyone :/

Yes u can dude, i'm on xbox, lol all u need is decent level alchemy and enchanting, a few items with fortify alchemy enchanted on them and a bunch of abeacan longfin's and salt pile's, then all u do is equip the items, make a restoration potion, unequip the items, drink the restoration potion, equip the items, rinse and repeat. Its very simple to do.

o_O wow I thought it only worked like that on PC for some unknown reason, well I'd never do anything like that because it takes from all the effort I've put into the game, although now I have the best armor and I've just gotten the 100000 gold achievement theres not much else to do :L considering buying the DLC so I'll have more to do ^_^

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
Do I enjoy being OP? Yes, in moderation.
Sometimes it's a lot of fun to destroy 10 deathlords without breaking a sweat, but I get bored of it rather quickly and need to balance it out by playing a less op character.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
I have not once thought about whether I am over powered. Sometimes I feel confident about going into a situation but it seems like as soon as I get cocky some frost troll or mud crab will do me in. I am not a fighter. My boy at level 1 with an iron sword can kill better than me at level 60 with a 70% stamina drain Daedric Sword in my right hand and the Windshear in the left. So it seems to me your power, ultimately, comes from YOU and not your weaponry and enchantments. That being said, I work hard to make sure my fireballs are red hot and my arrows are searingly straight, and because I've EARNED these weapons, I won't consider that they make me overpowered.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I have not once thought about whether I am over powered. Sometimes I feel confident about going into a situation but it seems like as soon as I get cocky some frost troll or mud crab will do me in. I am not a fighter. My boy at level 1 with an iron sword can kill better than me at level 60 with a 70% stamina drain Daedric Sword in my right hand and the Windshear in the left. So it seems to me your power, ultimately, comes from YOU and not your weaponry and enchantments. That being said, I work hard to make sure my fireballs are red hot and my arrows are searingly straight, and because I've EARNED these weapons, I won't consider that they make me overpowered.
There is something I do not like about skyrim and that is that the world seems to revolve around you for some reason and really it does not matter how powerful you are, after patch 1.9 it also increased the level of NPCs that are not capped, and by looking at numbers in the creation kit I have noticed that certain NPCs had uncapped Level that were 1.25x your level and I am at level 200 so an NPC that was 1.25x my level was level 250, WHAT level 250 he is a nobody, I am the legendary Dragonborn why the hell do enemies level with me that is stupid, Oblivion had this problem to, in Morrowind their was no such scaling
as a Modder I have taken to Cap NPCs levels and stop them from Leveling up with you, so Leveling Means Something and unlike the vanilla game it is not simpler to stay at level 1 where the enemies you encounter
are low leveled and easy to kill. you definetly wont feel overpowered until you go beyond level 100

Leseras

Darkness guides me.
I go OP every once in awhile. It's fun to destroy everything in one hit sometimes. This is when I fully utilize the three crafting skills. Usually, however, I ROLEPLAY. This involves setting a strict set of rules for my character to follow. The first rule is usually no crafting. Only looting and buying. Some rules can include no stealing, no using enchanted items (mage hater character), no magic, only restoration magic, only one branch of skill etc. Honestly, its all up to you.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Sometimes, crafting an overpowered weapon works against you....

overpowered_74e16f_4548831.gif

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
Sometimes, crafting an overpowered weapon works against you....

overpowered_74e16f_4548831.gif
you first have to make sure you can handle the weapon, if you cant get hit once with it and survive you have no right wieding such power

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

Butcha donna havta! Just save one as soon as you get off the cart and you can always reload from there. That's what I do and I start new characters all the time. That way I only have 30 seconds of BS before I create the character. Now if I could skip the whole beheading crap, I'd be much happier. It's not like I'm not gonna escape Helgen. If I didn't it would be rather pointless.

JayW

At the start I felt powerless and I poured hours of grinding and research into making my character powerful. Then after a while I discovered I was overpowered. It was fun for a while being OP but it soon grew tiresome. At first this wasn't a problem. There were other skills for me to explore so I simply adjusted my character and spent time learning how to control other powers. Eventually after learning pretty much every exploit, skill and trick for every scenario I yearn for the days of being helpless in Tamriel. Not knowing what to do as I was chased by wolves through the wilderness. The balance in this game has been pretty extraordinary to have kept me hooked for so long. I hope they can improve on it next time.