• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I realize that I could have put this under the Dawnguard thread, but, hey, once you've got the download, it affects your game thereafter.

A some questions I'm hoping you can help me with:

1) While I like the crossbow I've received and, now that I've tricked it up - it does good damage, but, will I ever be able to make my own? Does it always have to be steel?
2) Where do I get bolts? I was only given 45 and can't find more anywhere! And I can't make them. (if I'm limited to such a small quantity then a crossbow is rather useless to me since archery is pretty much my main weapon). Similar to the crossbow question: Will there be other types? Can you make them yourself (you can fletch your own arrows - why not bolts, which are, basically a short, really heavey duty arrow after all)? Do vendors actually sell them or do I have to go back to the Dawnguard forge every time I want some.

I know they're silly questions, but I'm very particular about my weapons and horde my arrows and bolts. At the moment, my bow is still the better weapon and I can make or buy as many arrows as I need.

Though?

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
1)If you have the Dwarven Smithing perk and have done the Crossbow quests, you can make a Dwarven Crossbow.
2)You can smith bolts by collecting firewood and either steel or dwarven metal ingots. Also, you can buy bolts from Sorine or Gunmar (IIRC). A good way to collect Dwarven Bolts is to go throw Dwemer Ruins.

Daelon DuLac

1)If you have the Dwarven Smithing perk and have done the Crossbow quests, you can make a Dwarven Crossbow.
2)You can smith bolts by collecting firewood and either steel or dwarven metal ingots. Also, you can buy bolts from Sorine or Gunmar (IIRC). A good way to collect Dwarven Bolts is to go throw Dwemer Ruins.
I guess i'm just not in to Dawnguard far enough yet. All I've received is the initial crossbow from the Dawnguard with the cache of bolts. I have all the smithing perks so, when the time comes I'll be all set, I guess. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll keep using my bow until then. Frankly, since I've only just started, I have no idea what the "Crossbow Quests" are yet, but I'm sure I will! :)

Professor Skalvar

Just talk to Sorine for them after you have convinced both her and Gunmar to join the Dawnguard.

Daelon DuLac

Just talk to Sorine for them after you have convinced both her and Gunmar to join the Dawnguard.
Since I haven't met Sorine of Gunmar yet, now I have something to look forward to (wait - is Gunmar that twerp that was going to join on my first visit to Dawnguard Fort?). I guess I'll just keep going.

Daelon DuLac

I suppose i could have stuck around and explored the fortress, but I just left and got on with the first quest. I have to go back now on the save that I did not become a vampire so I'll look around then. Dwarven bolts! Fah... I'll stick with my ebony & dragon arrows. Dwarven is pretty, but that's about it.

Professor Skalvar

By sticking around the fortress, you could have easily amassed around 110 or more steel bolts.

Daelon DuLac

By sticking around the fortress, you could have easily amassed around 110 or more steel bolts.
Hmm... well, it's too late now. I need action, not just wandering about aimlessly and being curious. I'm not a very curious person in real life and I think it bleeds over to my characters. Just give me some action and I'm happy. Endlessly wandering around and looking at things just bores the spit out of me.

Nighthiker77

The steel crossbow is displaying the same damage as a daedric bow at 100+125% smithing and all perks. For reference.

You can also get all the bolts from the targets people practice on.

The crossbow is indeed powerful but something about a Bosmer using a crossbow didn't seem right. I gave mine to Mjoll and she is even more of a badass than before. I do like that fact that they have magical bolts. I really wish they had done that with arrows like in Oblivion.

Daelon DuLac

The steel crossbow is displaying the same damage as a daedric bow at 100+125% smithing and all perks. For reference.

You can also get all the bolts from the targets people practice on.
Yup. I've got it all legendary and with some enchantment so it's a good weapon (perhaps not as good as my Daedric bow, but close), now I need bolts! I will check the targets at the Dawnguard Fortress.

Daelon DuLac

The crossbow is indeed powerful but something about a Bosmer using a crossbow didn't seem right. I gave mine to Mjoll and she is even more of a badass than before. I do like that fact that they have magical bolts. I really wish they had done that with arrows like in Oblivion.
Magical bolts? Gee, I really do need to get in to this storyline!

Daelon DuLac

There's 2 warhammers and 3 or 4 war axes at the fort also, along with a shield, light helmet, and light boots
Don't need any of those, but I'll keep that in mind for my next playthrough. As I'm at 65 now and just started Dawnguard, there's not really a lot out there that is better than what I have or can make, but the crossbow is new and cool. Plus the bolts in that little hip quiver look cool.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
I realize that I could have put this under the Dawnguard thread, but, hey, once you've got the download, it affects your game thereafter.

A some questions I'm hoping you can help me with:

1) While I like the crossbow I've received and, now that I've tricked it up - it does good damage, but, will I ever be able to make my own? Does it always have to be steel?
2) Where do I get bolts? I was only given 45 and can't find more anywhere! And I can't make them. (if I'm limited to such a small quantity then a crossbow is rather useless to me since archery is pretty much my main weapon). Similar to the crossbow question: Will there be other types? Can you make them yourself (you can fletch your own arrows - why not bolts, which are, basically a short, really heavey duty arrow after all)? Do vendors actually sell them or do I have to go back to the Dawnguard forge every time I want some.

I know they're silly questions, but I'm very particular about my weapons and horde my arrows and bolts. At the moment, my bow is still the better weapon and I can make or buy as many arrows as I need.

Though?

1)You have to do Sorine Jurards quests to get the Dwarven crossbow. Sadly there is no Orcish or onwards. Although there is a mod for it
2)You can buy it from Sorine Jurard and Gunther. You can only forge it at Gunthers forge, a unique forge

Daelon DuLac

1)You have to do Sorine Jurards quests to get the Dwarven crossbow. Sadly there is no Orcish or onwards. Although there is a mod for it
2)You can buy it from Sorine Jurard and Gunther. You can only forge it at Gunthers forge, a unique forge
I'm guessing they're both at the Fortress, yes? If so, I'll probably buy and then do a whole lot of forging! Thanks.

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
Assuming you haven't fetched Sorine or Gunmar yet, you have to advance a little ways into the Dawnguard questline (On the Dawnguard's side) and then you will receive a quest from Isran to recruit more members for the Dawnguard. Then you will have to track down Sorine and Gunmar, and they will join the Dawnguard. Only after you recruit them will you be able to begin Sorine's crossbow quests to track down schematics and then forge these upgraded crossbows and bolts.

Daelon DuLac

Assuming you haven't fetched Sorine or Gunmar yet, you have to advance a little ways into the Dawnguard questline (On the Dawnguard's side) and then you will receive a quest from Isran to recruit more members for the Dawnguard. Then you will have to track down Sorine and Gunmar, and they will join the Dawnguard. Only after you recruit them will you be able to begin Sorine's crossbow quests to track down schematics and then forge these upgraded crossbows and bolts.
Cool. Thank you. I was a little up in the air about which way to go, but it seems like Dawnguard is the way to go for this playthrough (I have a vamp already saved, so I could conceivably do that later). On my way back now after delivering Selana so I'm guessing the recruitment quest is coming up. Thanks for all the info all! The SR Bible is pretty vague on this kind of stuff.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
I'm guessing they're both at the Fortress, yes? If so, I'll probably buy and then do a whole lot of forging! Thanks.

Do more of Sorine's quest and you also get frost, fire and storm bolts as well. And yes, they are at Fort Dawnguard

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts