How to get the most fun out of being a pure mage

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JoeReese

forgot to mention, i went to the mages college asap, and the only dungeon or places i traveled to were quest related, my goal is to not enter a cave/place untill lvl 100 unless it is quest nescary.
That makes a difference, I suppose. Most of us were talking, from the point of view of someone who actually does stuff.

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
forgot to mention, i went to the mages college asap, and the only dungeon or places i traveled to were quest related, my goal is to not enter a cave/place untill lvl 100 unless it is quest nescary.
That makes a difference, I suppose. Most of us were talking, from the point of view of someone who actually does stuff.

Yeh you're right; I missed that point. Not putting yourself in horrid situations early in your career is a good idea.

DragonBorn32

I am a battlemage, so i use conjured weapons. I run into battle and summon a flame atronach then switch to my summoned bow. If anyone thinks there is a better strategy for fighting anything, dragons,mages,warriors,etc. i would really appreciate the feedback thanks

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

Yeh you're right; I missed that point. Not putting yourself in horrid situations early in your career is a good idea.
Really? I guess I've been playing the game wrong all along then. :)

Daelon DuLac

I am a battlemage, so i use conjured weapons. I run into battle and summon a flame atronach then switch to my summoned bow. If anyone thinks there is a better strategy for fighting anything, dragons,mages,warriors,etc. i would really appreciate the feedback thanks
Where do you get all that magicka? Even at 50% reduc, the bound bow just sucks up magicka unless you above level 20 and have been religiously upping the points the whole time.

Daelon DuLac

as a mage Daelon, put points into magic first, then health, i avoid staminam till way later like around lvl 50 I may start to put a few in there, my base magic atm is 530, im lvl 43.
Since I don't play pure mage, I always up my health to 200 first then work on Magicka and ignore health and stamina from there on until magicka is at 400.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I enjoy pure mages, especially when never putting points into health.

Using spells/shouts to survive. I can tell you, it makes things interesting when running through a Forsworn camp with the slow time shout and seeing all these arrows fly slowly past... Knowing just one can kill you instantly.

Kind of like the Matrix.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
This seems to be real difficult, playing a pure mage. I tried one time, and didn't last long. I guess playing sneak archers & tanks makes it harder to understand the mechanics of playing a pure mage.

AS88

Staff member
People bashing mages saying they're too hard and are impossible to play.

Try harder :p

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
I guess I need some guidance then, because I struggle to get to lvl 15 without dying at least once.

I played with no armor or weapons, not even bound, and no followers. For the first ten levels my main strategy was to run away. Getting sanguine's Rose was a big help, from then he did most of the fighting while I crept around looting.

JoeReese

I finally figured out how to make an enchantment to boost spell power, rather than cost. Maging is MUCH more fun now. I had to get a civil war mod, so I could find enough people to electrocute when I had the ring on. :D

Daelon DuLac

So I guess to play a pure mage, you just avoid confrontation at all costs. Oh... and have a follower.

That's no fun to me. I luv playing my spellsword, but there is no way I'm going to run away from every situation because I have no way to defend myself without somebody else doing the work.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
I guess I need some guidance then, because I struggle to get to lvl 15 without dying at least once.
I don't think I've ever made it to level 5 without dying at least once. And that is with any kind of character. Guess I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew. . .

AS88

Staff member
When I do a playthrough of a mage on PC and it goes on YouTube, I'm going to put it here.

It's not all about running away, it's about knowing your surroundings and using your abilities and knowledge to your advantage. If you go in throwing spells like you'd swing a sword and getting into bad position, then you're not considering how a mage would actually operate. Only a very special battlemage wish a death wish would go in all-guns-blazing.