How to get the most fun out of being a pure mage

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

AS88

Staff member
Meh, I don't like running backward.

facepalm_227785.jpg

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
When I do a playthrough of a mage on PC and it goes on YouTube, I'm going to put it here.

It's not all about running away, it's about knowing your surroundings and using your abilities and knowledge to your advantage. If you go in throwing spells like you'd swing a sword and getting into bad position, then you're not considering how a mage would actually operate. Only a very special battlemage wish a death wish would go in all-guns-blazing.
I guess I'm special then. One of my favorite things is to go in spamming chain lightning, fireballs or ice storms. It does wonders for my ego. :)

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
I've always loved playing pure mages. Don't see much of an issue with them except that they're somewhat fragile.

So I guess to play a pure mage, you just avoid confrontation at all costs. Oh... and have a follower.

That's no fun to me. I luv playing my spellsword, but there is no way I'm going to run away from every situation because I have no way to defend myself without somebody else doing the work.
But a Spellsword is not really a pure mage: either you use only magic, or you play as a hybrid.

AS88

Staff member

JoeReese

The nice thing about this game is that I can choose what I do and don't like, and play accordingly. Fortunately, I can even do so without getting my panties in a bunch. You should try it. It's refreshing.

AS88

Staff member
The nice thing about this game is that I can choose what I do and don't like, and play accordingly. Fortunately, I can even do so without getting my panties in a bunch. You should try it. It's refreshing.

Same, and it's also a game that allows for a lot of different styles of play if you're willing to try new things and use different styles, which can also be very rewarding. Some people who do use different styles try to offer advice to people, to help them expand their horizons and have a wider and more rewarding playing experience. Some people take it, some people choose to stick to what they know. Some people tease others' unwillingness to take that advice, and some react sensitively to a playful facepalm picture when there was nothing meant by it.

There are no bunched panties anywhere, Joe. We actually agree 99% of the time, too.

Daelon DuLac

Same, and it's also a game that allows for a lot of different styles of play if you're willing to try new things and use different styles, which can also be very rewarding. Some people who do use different styles try to offer advice to people, to help them expand their horizons and have a wider and more rewarding playing experience. Some people take it, some people choose to stick to what they know. Some people tease others' unwillingness to take that advice, and react sensitively to a playful facepalm picture when there was nothing meant by it.

There are no bunched panties anywhere, Joe. We actually agree 99% of the time, too.
I still don't understand how to play a pure-mage and probably never will. I try and try and die and die. Oh well, I guess I stick with spellswords and warriors. :)

AS88

Staff member

Same, and it's also a game that allows for a lot of different styles of play if you're willing to try new things and use different styles, which can also be very rewarding. Some people who do use different styles try to offer advice to people, to help them expand their horizons and have a wider and more rewarding playing experience. Some people take it, some people choose to stick to what they know. Some people tease others' unwillingness to take that advice, and react sensitively to a playful facepalm picture when there was nothing meant by it.

I still don't understand how to play a pure-mage and probably never will. I try and try and die and die. Oh well, I guess I stick with spellswords and warriors. :)

Yeah, it is really tough to explain! Especially when you take into account all the different ways you can do it and the way different skills and spells can synergise. There are a lot of videos and guides out there, but without doing it, it's hard to learn, if you see what I mean. It's a completely different mindset, though.

When I've played a warrior for a long time it always takes me a few hours to get back into my mage mindset :p

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Wait, you mean there is a method to playing a mage besides pure combat? I guess I need to see some guides then..... :D
When I do a playthrough of a mage on PC and it goes on YouTube, I'm going to put it here.

It's not all about running away, it's about knowing your surroundings and using your abilities and knowledge to your advantage. If you go in throwing spells like you'd swing a sword and getting into bad position, then you're not considering how a mage would actually operate. Only a very special battlemage wish a death wish would go in all-guns-blazing.

Daelon DuLac

Wait, you mean there is a method to playing a mage besides pure combat? I guess I need to see some guides then..... :D

But what's the point when you're running away all the time. The other mages in the game don't run away all the time EVER! So I'm supposed to act the coward and run away all the time. I guess I never will understand being a mage. If I wanted to play a weenie, I'd play an alchemist ;) (for you Twiffle)

AS88

Staff member

But what's the point when you're running away all the time. The other mages in the game don't run away all the time EVER! So I'm supposed to act the coward and run away all the time. I guess I never will understand being a mage. If I wanted to play a weenie, I'd play an alchemist ;) (for you Twiffle)

The idea is that if you're prepared and know your enemy, you should be retreating very rarely. Using Illusion, Conjuration and Alteration effectively should mean that you rarely need to backtrack. It's definitely a learned skill, though. It's all about having the initial distance so that you're at comfortable range away from the enemy.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker

Well, I guess enchanting has to be done, or a boatload of Magicka and Daedric Armor!

AS88

Staff member

Well, I guess enchanting has to be done, or a boatload of Magicka and Daedric Armor!

No armour for a pure mage. :p

Mage armour from the alteration tree should be all you need. You should be focussed on not getting hit, which can be achieved without running away if you're well prepared and have an effective style.

Daelon DuLac

The idea is that if you're prepared and know your enemy, you should be retreating very rarely. Using Illusion, Conjuration and Alteration effectively should mean that you rarely need to backtrack. It's definitely a learned skill, though. It's all about having the initial distance so that you're at comfortable range away from the enemy.
I suppose I could get used to it now that I've played the game many times and actually know the landscape and the enemies, but I would guess that it would be incredibly difficult for a 1st timer or someone without a lot of pre-knowledge about situations (as would a new character to Skyrim. There's no way they could know).

It's a thought, and I'll try again, but actually having the magicka to perform all of that is next to impossible at low levels so, what are you supposed to do? Get a tank or simply avoid all situations that put you in danger? Doesn't really seem like a lot of fun to me, a challenge, yes, but, me, I'm not in to challenges, I want everything handed to me on a silver platter... Oh wait... That's what I said to my other 1/2 when we got married and I've regretted it every since. :)

Daelon DuLac

No armour for a pure mage. :p

Mage armour from the alteration tree should be all you need. You should be focussed on not getting hit, which can be achieved without running away if you're well prepared and have an effective style.
So where are the attractive outfits then? It all looks like gunnysacks, although... I do kind of like those slutty barmaid outfits. Hmm.... time for a female mage maybe? :)

Adam Warlock

Recommending the Dunmer Shoes for a pure mage build .
At an enchanting table they read like chest apparel so you can add any of a number of better magic buffs than you normally could have on your feet .
ex. - magicka regen or cost reduction for spells from any school

Twiffle

cowards have feelings, , that was harsh, , , ,;)

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
hmm.. my latest Character is a Pure mage. I have RP'd her as being an ex-pirate who now wishes to pursue her magical capabilities. I make it a point NOT to carry any physical weapons..at all. She started out with destruction magic, mainly fire, but she found a "Bound Sword" skill book very early in the game and switched to that immediately. She can now duel wield them very proficiently. And she is currently only level 11.

I have not found it to be all that difficult. Challenging yes, and you need to be a little bit more tactical than just charging into a melee, but I am really enjoying it so far and haven't died much at all. And Yes I am still playing on master difficulty. She also has the soul capture perk in the conjuration tree, so she doesn't have to go to any extra effort filling gems. Not that she really needs them. The only things she intends to enchant is her Wolf armour. That's one thing that isn't really "Pure mage" I guess, she ditched her mages robes for the Wolf armour. She is a very loyal member of The Circle.

P.S on a little unrelated note, has anyone ever had this happen..? Skjor wasn't a Were when Aela and I came across him dead. There was a dead Were on the table and Skjor was on the floor in human form, thus I was able to loot his wolf armour off him. I've never had that happen and I do the Companions quest line every play through.